Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
BeerGuy, Thanks for your reply... Based on all of the info I have read and now with your response here is a summary of what I have learned:
1. ECU tuning definitely affects the sound of the Ghibli exhaust note
2. The Ghibli exhaust piping configuration was adjusted in 2019
3. Maserati has adjusted the ECU tuning on multiple occasions to address exhaust note issues but did not inform Ghibli owners, as far as I can tell from reading other posts, or give them a choice of one tune versus another leaving them to be surprised after having their car serviced that the revised ECU tune had changed the sound of the vehicle
4. The dealership tech's do not have all of this information available to them through Maserati; I know because that is where I started asking questions before I posted on this forum
5. This is Forum is the best place to get info on your Ghibli because the members are really knowledgeable and are willing to take the time to assist others...
Please correct me if I have misstated anything above...

Next step for me is to disconnect the exhaust vacuum line and if that doesn't provide the solution I am hoping for I will be asking for recommendations on an aftermarket alternative.

Thanks again!
Pretty much got is summed up! The Maserati tech learns from experience and interactions with the community. Sadly, Maserati (corporate) doesn't share a whole lot with the service department beyond what they need for day to day operations.

On #3, the first ECU update was Maserati not consistently meeting emissions standards ... that was a mandatory change. The others, as you indicate were subtle finetuning that over time created drift to where we are today.

As you said, the safest way to get more sound is try the vacuum line approach first. If not happy, I'm sure folks on the forum will be happy to share their thoughts / experiences.

Let us know how you made out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
He’s 100% right!

I leased a new 2017 Ghibli SQ4. Received it on 22 Dec 2016. Loved the tone. Perfectly aggressive in normal mode. I specifically love the shift blurp sounds it made when shifting in the 2-3k rpm range. I didn’t have to press the peddle hard and I’d get that great sound during shifts. In sport mode. It was a beast. My favorite was driving though the I395 tunnel in DC in sport mode and just LOVING the beastly tone.

In April 2019 I purchased a new 2019 Ghibli SQ4. In normal mode, it sounds blah, in sport mode, it’s a little better. I RARELY get the shift blurp I used to get in my 2017.

After about 4 weeks in the car I brought it to my dealership to complain about the exhaust sound. It’s non existent. The service rep told me that the exhaust needed to break in. That’s total BS. I brought this issue up again during my annual service this year. Service rep said something like “that’s how they are supposed to sound”. Again, being previous owner, that BS.

The tone of the car is half the reason I fell in love with it. Now I have a car that’s just meh!!!

I’ve seriously thought about buying older exhaust parts off eBay or something and installing them to see if they my will make my car sound the way it should. BUT, the thought of having to resort to that is just ridiculous. It’s just so disappointing considering what I paid for the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
He’s 100% right!

I leased a new 2017 Ghibli SQ4. Received it on 22 Dec 2016. Loved the tone. Perfectly aggressive in normal mode. I specifically love the shift blurp sounds it made when shifting in the 2-3k rpm range. I didn’t have to press the peddle hard and I’d get that great sound during shifts. In sport mode. It was a beast. My favorite was driving though the I395 tunnel in DC in sport mode and just LOVING the beastly tone.

In April 2019 I purchased a new 2019 Ghibli SQ4. In normal mode, it sounds blah, in sport mode, it’s a little better. I RARELY get the shift blurp I used to get in my 2017.

After about 4 weeks in the car I brought it to my dealership to complain about the exhaust sound. It’s non existent. The service rep told me that the exhaust needed to break in. That’s total BS. I brought this issue up again during my annual service this year. Service rep said something like “that’s how they are supposed to sound”. Again, being previous owner, that BS.

The tone of the car is half the reason I fell in love with it. Now I have a car that’s just meh!!!

I’ve seriously thought about buying older exhaust parts off eBay or something and installing them to see if they my will make my car sound the way it should. BUT, the thought of having to resort to that is just ridiculous. It’s just so disappointing considering what I paid for the car.
I feel your pain, I own a 2019 Ghibli SQ4 with that same exact issue as you describe, the dealer told me the same story! It's not really the exhaust piping, it's the ECU tune, as BeerGuy mentioned, Maserati has had to adjust it a few times for various reasons including meeting emission standards. What I'm having a hard time with is how in the **** can most exotic car companies have great sounding cars while adhering to emission standards that they all have to live by but Maserati can't seem to figure it out for newer Ghibli's... I have seen other posts on this forum where MASERATICARES responds to issues stated on this Forum. Are they still monitoring or should I say do they CARE?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently purchased a 2019 SQ4 Ghibli and when I started it up and put it into Sport Mode, I fell in love with the sound of the exhaust! Much to my disappointment when you start driving the beautiful exhaust note disappears!
This message is really to MASERATICARES, I have seen multiple treads were there are numerous questions about the exhaust note changing or disappearing with no real answers accept speculation about the age of the vehicle to Maserati changing the ECU tune to quite things down!

Then the other day I was given a Levante loaner while my car was in for service and Wow the sound I heard from the exhaust was fantastic.

MASERATICARES what can you do for all the people on this forum that are complaining about this issue for years? Couldn't you give us cars guys who want that sound a special tune or something to let the Ghibli sing like the Levante?
Wow now I want the Levante even more! I currently have the Ghibli

·
Registered
106 Posts
You could try an aftermarket ECU tune, which would give you more power. Might bring some of the sound back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Here my 2019 sq4 the sound it is different from my previous 2017 ..the exhaustin the 2019 it is different as there is no silencer or muffler I don't know how you call it just after the engine..where the gearbox is it is a straight pipe going back you can see pictures of both in one of my posts.
The sound différence is in the 2017 the downshift is loud but not when you upshift at a certain rpm, in 2019 you have a bang really loud sound, sometimes like a gun shot no joke and not exaggerating, while giving gas with the paddles you change gear around 4 to 4500rpm and you have that crazy sound it scares people sometimes
The sound it is more "proper" meaning not rattling like 2017 sound on the 2019..however from the inside you listen just a bit less in the 2019 then 2017 outside if you follow both behind the sound is Loud in both..I don't know if they isolated better 2019 models inside
Here my 2019 sound and it is with a cheap gopro 3 with the internal micro of it and inside the plastic box... in true the sound it is more loud and with a special vibration in the air that I love
(Use headphones to get a bit better bass sound)
The sound the bang while upshifting (like a gun shoot ) is soo loud the the micro cuts doing a different sound like pouf not as in real time at all.. It is freaking loud

My friends have also ghiblis 4P and levante I drove many of them and one think I found out, the sound it is different when you have paddles on the steering wheel than without (without that option) Both in sport mode and manual mode paddles for one and shifter + - for the other ..the sound is more crazy with the paddles
I did not disconnected the exhaust valves actually I did for trying and I did not like the sound, the magic sound changing at 3200 rpm was gone. So I put all back as from manufactory

here my previous 2017 (different camera GH4 and micro in some shoots at the beginning)

The levante Q4 2017 from a friend.. it is more loud for sure also the exhaust it is actually shorter then on the ghibli
But the sound changed a bit on levante 2019

Same gopro Levante Q4 2017

and here from my 2019 with interior shoots sound was filmed at a different time

and showing the car a bit outside etc.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
He’s 100% right!

Do you have double glazing windows at the rear too ? Or just at the front? It reduces the sound inside
But for sure the loud ghiblis where the 2014 2015 not the same on 2019 models however I am on my second one and love the sound
Your car has a problem... it happen on people driving it on ICE mode all the time the exhaust becomes dirty we say in French "Encrassé" I've seen and hear it my self
Also the fuel quality ( higher octane) plays on the exauste sound

Shame you are not here .. I have a no limit speed highway just near by . You could push it to the max speed to clean up (305 kmh with my ghibli that is the full max speed not one km more)

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you just bought a 2019 Ghibili I would not recommend doing an ECU tune so quickly. This has been discussed on other boards and some people don't think it's worth the risk of Maserati pulling your warranty or denying any service on the car since the engine will run harder and there's been mentions of dealerships noticing even when the person removed the tune before taking the car in. I would do other mods and do the ECU tune when you're closer to the end of your warranty.

I have a 2018 Ghibili Gransport S. I would recommend aftermarket add-ons first before messing with the engine. I just added a Larini X pipe and it increased my exhaust sound I would say by 20-25% and made the car slightly faster as well. The exhaust is pretty loud if I accelerate quickly. I plan on adding Sport Cats next, but leave the OEM tailpipes to keep the signature exhaust tone and so the noise isn't too loud, plus allows me to keep the ability to close the valves. I'll upload a video of the X pipe soon.

You just got the car, it sounds like you just need to take a second to enjoy what you have. There are many mods you can add to easily make the car more aggressive. It sounds like next time you need to drive the car more before buying and also talk more to your dealership, mine is always happy to answer random questions.

Hope that helps.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts