Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently purchased a new2019 SQ 4 Gransport to replace my original 2014. It's amazing how much better a car the new one is! No more problems with subwoofer rattles, much better backing camara and the MTC technology is a lot better. The car feels more solid and I like the suspension so much better.

One thing I have noticed that is different. When I would drive my 2014 in Sport mode the exhaust would make awesome "booming" sounds at the gear shifts. The new car does not seem to do that anymore. Have others noticed that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I noticed the same thing in my 2019 SQ4 Granlusso. My 2017 had the shift booms. I mentioned the difference to my salesman a few days after purchase and he said the exhaust just needed some time to break in. Not sure I believe it. I’m considering the sport cats. There were some posts here where people swore the sport cats make the exhaust sound much deeper and better.

·
Registered
160 Posts
... I’m considering the sport cats. There were some posts here where people swore the sport cats make the exhaust sound much deeper and better.
True story. Sport cats made my car sound even better. Deeper, little louder, amazing upper-rpm shifts. I have a Eurodynamic tune on the way with a little burble action added in. Excited to hear how it sounds once I get it fired up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
What do you mean “burble action” added in?
Just a bit of overrun. Hopefully no wild flames out the back or obnoxious endless popping sounds like some crazy tunes I've seen on other cars, just a little more of the pop and boom you get when you let off the gas or shift at higher rpms. He said he has three versions, mild, medium and aggressive.

I'm guessing the Audi R8 he has on his site is a more aggressive version. Check them out, Eurodynamic Tuning

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, my 2017 is pretty quiet at times.

I tried the typical rev to 4000rpm and gear change, hoping for some sound, and it's hard to get. My wife's x3 m40i has more action, but maybe too much popping, however.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I can't comment for MY2019, mine is MY2018 (SQ4). On mine, driven in manual sport (all the time btw), I won't get a "boom" on gear upshift, when I'm below 4,500 rpm. Instead, I'll get what I can't better describe than a (pretty loud) "roar down", sort of. When upshifting above 4,500 rpm, I get a clear, loud, and highly pleasant boom. The "roar down" is pretty pleasant too, anyway, and while I'm OK being loud, my main goal is not to frighten the cars I overtake to the point they would freak out, anyway. So I'm just fine the way it is :)

Standard exhaust, of course.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've posted about this before. Sadly it's true, it's harder to replicate the "shift boom" in the newer models. I was shift-booming all around town in low gears, zooming from stoplight to stop sign in my '15 SQ4. Only had to maybe go half throttle, timing the punch just right as it went from 1st to 2nd and it would boom without exceeding 30-35 mph. In order to get that similar boom on my '18 SQ4, I have to throttle it more to the point where I'm going too fast down the street, although once in a while I can feather the throttle just right and get that boom without driving obnoxiously fast. Since the boom is more elusive for me these days, it's truly pure joy when I hear it.

What I don't think has changed much between older and newer models is the sweet sound of the engine reaching for higher revs. I call it a "video game engine". My second favorite sound this car makes. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just a bit of overrun. Hopefully no wild flames out the back or obnoxious endless popping sounds like some crazy tunes I've seen on other cars, just a little more of the pop and boom you get when you let off the gas or shift at higher rpms. He said he has three versions, mild, medium and aggressive.

I'm guessing the Audi R8 he has on his site is a more aggressive version. Check them out, Eurodynamic Tuning
Let me know how it goes. I took my car to them to have them tune it and after a few go's at trying to get the burble right i decided to not do it. Maybe he figured it all out. Ill have to email him and see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts