Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hi, I would think so, I can't see Maserati modifying the tooling for the press to cut different size holes in the body panels.

I really don't like the new lights, It makes it too common, I much prefer the old style, same goes for the dashboard, the new dials are not really special.

But that is only personal taste.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have to say I haven't warmed up to the new taillights either. I don't see them as an improvement - which is what I think of most of the 2021 changes (grill, instrument cluster, new touchscreen)...not really an improvement.

My opinion may change over time but as of right now that is what I think.

As for swapping out the taillights, they should fit size wise. You should probably double-check the connector as that may have changed (probably not though).

·
Registered
23 Posts
To those interested in upgrading their previous MY Ghiblis to the 2021 Boomerang tail lights...
I actually tried it, and it DOES NOT work. Light fits in the quarter panel perfectly, the existing electrical connector even fits into the new light, but circuit inside the light must be different as the turn signals, (the repeaters) do not work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
To those interested in upgrading their previous MY Ghiblis to the 2021 Boomerang tail lights...
I actually tried it, and it DOES NOT work. Light fits in the quarter panel perfectly, the existing electrical connector even fits into the new light, but circuit inside the light must be different as the turn signals, (the repeaters) do not work.
If you get them to work, or if the dealer is able to program them to function properly, please let me know. I’ve been looking I to getting a set as well as I prefer the all led lighting and much cleaner/simpler modern look to them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you get them to work, or if the dealer is able to program them to function properly, please let me know. I’ve been looking I to getting a set as well as I prefer the all led lighting and much cleaner/simpler modern look to them.
Actually, the dealer is the one who tried it for me. They said no way and reinstalled my original lights.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Actually, the dealer is the one who tried it for me. They said no way and reinstalled my original lights.
Interesting… looks like I probably won’t be getting a set then… kind of disappointed considering I had actually inquired with Maserati Parts N.A. who told me they are a direct plug and play and would be 100% functional. Guess that isn’t the case after all.

Do you mind me asking where you got the set from though, and if you could tell me what you paid for them? Just curious as the sets on eBay are astoundingly expensive and I have a feeling they’re heavily marked up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I saw this set on eBay which I think is a retrofitted pair, but I am not sure about that.

I wonder if these would work. I pay no mind to the price they list them for as they are just looking for offers. They were previously listed for $2400, then the seller doubled the price. But I still am left with how will they fit if they are genuine OEM Maserati given the electrical issue outlined above?

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I saw this set on eBay which I think is a retrofitted pair, but I am not sure about that.

I wonder if these would work. I pay no mind to the price they list them for as they are just looking for offers. They were previously listed for $2400, then the seller doubled the price. But I still am left with how will they fit if they are genuine OEM Maserati given the electrical issue outlined above?

What are your thoughts?
Exact same question… I saw those as well. It looks like all of the listings of them went up significantly on eBay. I had asked the Maserati Parts USA seller on eBay about it as well when I was initially looking and was told they would work perfectly fine with no programming/adjustments needed.
It doesn’t seem that that was the experience by the poster above though…

·
Registered
4 Posts
Exact same question… I saw those as well. It looks like all of the listings of them went up significantly on eBay. I had asked the Maserati Parts USA seller on eBay about it as well when I was initially looking and was told they would work perfectly fine with no programming/adjustments needed.
It doesn’t seem that that was the experience by the poster above though…
I’ve been wanting answers to this as well. Purchasing a 2019 Ghibli and absolutely love the new boomerang tail lights... would be amazing if the old lights could be swapped out and was a plug and play situation. Do we know what the price from Maserati is for a new set? eBay seems absurd at this point.

Anyone else had any experience with this aside from the poster above?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Service manager at the dealership where I had it done promised to contact factory tech support and research this further, but so far I haven't heard back. Will let you know once he calls me back.

PS I doubt it the ones on Ebay are any different than the ones they ordered for me from Maserati.
I’ve been wanting answers to this as well. Purchasing a 2019 Ghibli and absolutely love the new boomerang tail lights... would be amazing if the old lights could be swapped out and was a plug and play situation. Do we know what the price from Maserati is for a new set? eBay seems absurd at this point.

Anyone else had any experience with this aside from the poster above?
It depends on how much markup your dealer wants to imply. They could cost anywhere between $1900 - $2500, as the dealers cost is around $1400.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Service manager at the dealership where I had it done promised to contact factory tech support and research this further, but so far I haven't heard back. Will let you know once he calls me back.

PS I doubt it the ones on Ebay are any different than the ones they ordered for me from Maserati.

It depends on how much markup your dealer wants to imply. They could cost anywhere between $1900 - $2500, as the dealers cost is around $1400.
Awesome, thanks for this info. Please keep us updated on the response he receives!

·
Registered
4 Posts

We’re anxiously waiting, lol… thanks very much!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok, that's not so great. However, I am not going to give up yet. Note how they say they 'will not authorize any kind of retrofit regarding these parts'. They could've just plainly stated that these will not work at all. This makes me think someone can come up with an adapter that fixes the Powernet/Powernet2 incompatibility and silences any issues with self-diagnostics. I will ask some Chinese guys I know do this kind of work and will report back, if I get a positive result.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ok, that's not so great. However, I am not going to give up yet. Note how they say they 'will not authorize any kind of retrofit regarding these parts'. They could've just plainly stated that these will not work at all. This makes me think someone can come up with an adapter that fixes the Powernet/Powernet2 incompatibility and silences any issues with self-diagnostics. I will ask some Chinese guys I know do this kind of work and will report back, if I get a positive result.
Awesome! Looking forward to what you find out. I feel like it’s definitely possible, and almost makes me wonder whether re-pinning the connector could even be a simple and quick fix to make them work. If it’s really only a pin-out difference it’s just a matter of changing the locations of each wire on the connector harness.
If I had a set (and could risk blowing that kind of cash on something that may become a table weight) I would play around with it and see for myself if they truly are even incompatible or if they could somehow function without any rewiring or programming.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would maybe try playing around on the car that is out of warranty, but my 2020 MY is still under factory protection, so would not risk loosing it over a "self made retrofit".

·
Registered
2015 ghibli
21 Posts
Hi, I would think so, I can't see Maserati modifying the tooling for the press to cut different size holes in the body panels.

I really don't like the new lights, It makes it too common, I much prefer the old style, same goes for the dashboard, the new dials are not really special.

But that is only personal taste.
I agree fred,,, new sometimes is not good

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would maybe try playing around on the car that is out of warranty, but my 2020 MY is still under factory protection, so would not risk loosing it over a "self made retrofit".
Worst case scenario is the tail light not working. If there's a solution out there, it's going to be a simple plug-and-play device that translates the signals (or simply swaps the pins). Losing your warranty over such a thing is a possibility, I guess, but you can always put your old tail lights on when going in for service.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts