Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wen ever i try to stop very very smoothly, right before stop the gear shifts from 2nd to 1st and entire car shakes. it happens all the time at slow stop from 2nd to 1gear shift with brakes on foot.
it feels like the Rpm raises with downshift and wheels picks up the speed but the brake is holding it back.
is this something that will go away after break in period? or is it something i have to take it to dealer?

Q4 model with premium pack only/ 300mileage

·
Registered
49 Posts
What mode is the transmission in? Sport mode does a very pronounced down shift right before you come to a stop. The sound is fantastic. Mine does not vibrate or shudder when this happens. Just as an experiment, try driving in I.C.E mode to see if you get the same sensation. The shift points are much different in I.C.E mode, so I would expect the behavior to change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was in normal.
the other two, i.c.e and sport mode, doesnt show such issue. they r very smooth and does not vibrate nor shakes on gear shift during stop.
only the normal mode does it. can it be the program issue?

another thing, is ice suitable for city? im in California by the way.. so weather here is almost always sunny. heard ICE is good for bad weathers

·
Registered
49 Posts
OK, so it does change with the mode. It might be a break-in issue, but I would report it so that it's on-the-record. I.C.E. can be nice for heavy traffic because it's less touchy - but you will deprive everyone around you of a once-in-lifetime encounter with a Maserati. I like to have it in sport mode, when I'm in traffic, so that everyone around me gets the full experience. I don't want anyone leaving disappointed.

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
I also notice the abrupt downshift occasionally. It seemed more prevalent in Auto and when stopping on an incline or sudden deceleration.
At 750 miles it has become less noticeable or I've become more accepting.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Bekrawa I agree with you it is our duty to give everyone around us the full Maserati experience including gear shifting in manual sports mode!! and a show of acceleration when possible!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my Maserati for six months and this same problem is getting worse, not better. It occurs in standard mode, have not checked sport or ICE. Seems to occur when the car is fully warmed up or on hot days in California. I am very conscious about smooth breaking, but the car almost lurches as it stops. Feels like a downshift into first gear that you have to be conscious of where you might hit something, such as in the garage. I'm taking mine in.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have tried to replicate what you guys are talking about.

I have driven up to 60 mph and slowed it down to a complete stop in all modes, standard, ICE, manual and each in sport. I have done this on the highway and on the local roads. I have tried to see this issue at red lights.

So far, I have not seen, heard or felt any lurching, up shifting or shuttering when slowing down slowly to a complete stop. In manual mode I see the gear number go from 2 to 1 by itself upon stop with no up shifting feel or lurching.

In Normal, same thing, slow stopping is smooth and no extraneous movements. My Ghibli is a 4/14 build date so perhaps Maserati made some sort of mechanical or software fix to the transmission.

I hope you that are experiencing this issue contact Maserati NA via email. Their customer support team is excellent and they will respond to you immediately.

Steve

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've had it happen to me when not in manual mode. It kind of sounds similar if you were to try rev-matching in a manual transmission car. Aside from the momentary jerk, I think it sounds pretty cool when it does it. You get like a quick vroom and gurgle from the exhaust while coming to a stop.

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
It reminds me of the old manual down shifts where you tended to use the transmission to slow down the car. The transmission is reacting to when you brake the car. I had mine out today on a beautiful day and it occasionally did the same sudden downshifting at stops. It could very well be in the program or learning mode. Although nowhere near as prevalent as when I drove the car home new.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My car does the same, the gears going down from 2nd to first dont seem to line up smoothly, and I get that jerk.

Its horrible, and should be added to the community workbook in the list of problems maserati should look into.

·
Registered
695 Posts
We took car in for the 2nd to 1st clunking downshift. Initial reaction from service rep that it wasn't doing anything unusual for a maserati. The GT has a different trans so this must mean the QP does this too. He asked us to come in and ride with him to make sure we are talking about the right thing. Enough people have mentioned this for it not to be that rare, maybe only on rwd. This seems to be a software problem since many cars have this trans. I'm getting sick of Maser not addressing these software errors. No fix on the radio or rear speaker that actually works. Between the poor reviews and poor reaction by maser the sales of these are going to slow, they are already supported buy huge discounts and low lease rates not a good sign. There will be no resale value if you own it as I do.

·
Registered
292 Posts
We took car in for the 2nd to 1st clunking downshift. Initial reaction from service rep that it wasn't doing anything unusual for a maserati. The GT has a different trans so this must mean the QP does this too. He asked us to come in and ride with him to make sure we are talking about the right thing. Enough people have mentioned this for it not to be that rare, maybe only on rwd. This seems to be a software problem since many cars have this trans. I'm getting sick of Maser not addressing these software errors. No fix on the radio or rear speaker that actually works. Between the poor reviews and poor reaction by maser the sales of these are going to slow, they are already supported buy huge discounts and low lease rates not a good sign. There will be no resale value if you own it as I do.

I am also quite annoyed with the responses coming back from Maserati. It seems like if there is an issue, they send the dealership personnel to see if other cars on the lot are doing the same thing. If they are, then "that is how it is designed", is their response. HELLO Maserati, ask GM how that type of response is working out for them now.

Fortunately, the service department that I am dealing with is doing a great job of trying to make me happy, but I am still frustrated with the issues and the way that Maserati is responding to some of them.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Well, we took drive with tech and the car literally never duplicated the problem. They had already done a number of software upgrades so who knows. They are redoing base speaker in a way that appears to work better, removing rear shelf and going from there, lots of Dynamat. Dealer says we are not first to complain about trans but they can't really duplicate, and never had a QP complaint. But how many QPs are actually sold. My answer is to drive in sport in town and ice on highway.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Just got car back. Kudos to Rich and Rob at Penske-Wynn. Even though they couldn't duplicate trans surge they contacted Maser tech desk and found out there is a trans software update along with an ecu update. Additionally they reset the adapative to start over. Car runs perfect, knock on aluminum! Also removed rear shelf and and remounted with felt tape and doubled Dynamat, we have bass! Still bad system but better. They believe when Maser fixes on new there will be something for the current system, next year. Supplier fix! Probably helps that they are a Ferrari dealer also but general attitude is realistic and great. How many time over the years have we scene CND on service receipts and that was it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got car back. Kudos to Rich and Rob at Penske-Wynn. Even though they couldn't duplicate trans surge they contacted Maser tech desk and found out there is a trans software update along with an ecu update. Additionally they reset the adapative to start over. Car runs perfect, knock on aluminum! Also removed rear shelf and and remounted with felt tape and doubled Dynamat, we have bass! Still bad system but better. They believe when Maser fixes on new there will be something for the current system, next year. Supplier fix! Probably helps that they are a Ferrari dealer also but general attitude is realistic and great. How many time over the years have we scene CND on service receipts and that was it.
Glad to hear that there is a fix. Taking my SQ4 in next week for a number of quirks. One thing I have noticed is that when I have the jerky 2-1 shift (mine is sporadic), the engine seems to be on fast idle -- 900 rpm vs 700 rpm. That si, if I'm reading the weird tach calibrations right! BTW, who ever thought that dividing the major intervals into thirds was a good idea? About as lame as changing the major intervals on the speedo from 10 mph to 20 mph in the upper range. Yeah, there's the digital speedo but I like to use that real estate for other things like oil pressure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry does any one knows if there's a fix for this because I took my car to the Ferrari Maserati dealership in Vegas and the couldn't do much, they said it was a software problem but when they check my car the car had the latest version already... So I was wondering if you guys know if there's a fix!

Than you everyone

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
Sorry does any one knows if there's a fix for this because I took my car to the Ferrari Maserati dealership in Vegas and the couldn't do much, they said it was a software problem but when they check my car the car had the latest version already... So I was wondering if you guys know if there's a fix!

Than you everyone
How many miles on car? Mine smoothed out dramatically over time once I was over 4000 miles through adaptive learning. There will always be some since it is part of the design.

If you are really upset with the feel, some dealers as last resort will reset the transmission adaptive learning and let it start all over.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts