Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2017 10k. Lavante/ shares an engine with Ghibli - with a seized engine, which Maserati are refusing to repair.

i think my issue is a common one. High speed/motorway driving, followed by a tight bend or island in my case causes the oil pump to fail, this leads to crank damage and scrap engine. The first the user knows is a knocking noise, no other warning..

Anyone come across this before???

·
Registered
628 Posts
First of all, stop flooding all the Maserati forums on the Internet with the same post. Diesel engined Maseratis are quite rare and the knowledge is limited.
Second, as you said in your other posts, your maintenance was overdue by two months, and this kinda voids the warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
It's unfortunate, but with these vehicles you need to follow the warranty maintenance guidelines exactly to avoid having Maserati (or any other manufacturer) balk at coverage. Once you deviate, and in your case 14 months before first service at independent mechanic ... that opened the door for Maserati to push back. They can't stop you from using an independent mechanic, but you need to have perfectly documented records ... not only time and mileage, but the specifics of what was done ... down to the type of oil & filter and etc used in the service.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't think it is hard driving that did it.
I drive my Ghibli 2017pretty hard, on very twisty roads in Sport mode, (like the Monte Carlo rally), there is a 50km section I take WOT.
It is also remapped.

Did you check the oil level, on mine the oil level was on the low side after 1000km, was it like this from new or did it use a bit, I'll never know.
It has now 35 000km (I only drive it 6 months/year, I work abroad).

Yes, you should have done the service in time, the dashboard reminds you of it every time you start.

There has been a few failures on the Diesel versions when they were using 5W30 oil at the beginning, this is why they are now using 5W40.

Have you checked the oil level now?

If the oil pump lost prime the dash will inform you instantly, it might even shutdown your engine, but that I haven't tried...

You can also have the oil analyzed to see if it is the correct grade used. and what metals they find in there, this could point towards what failed. I said could.

This engine is normally pretty robust, it is installed in the RAM1500 and Gran Cherokee, and in the States they are pulling heavy loads.

Is it the dealer you bought the car from? Who refuses to repair, or Maserati themselves?

Sorry I hadn't seen your other post, saying that you had a mobile mechanic doing the service.
1st thing to go for is oil grade, most likely wrong.
2nd thing origine of oil and air filters

The air one you can only find it at Maserati or China (probably where it's made)
The oil filter China again or the Gran Cherokee one.
I would put my money on the guy using 5W30 grade oil.

Then Maserati will back out.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It's unfortunate, but with these vehicles you need to follow the warranty maintenance guidelines exactly to avoid having Maserati (or any other manufacturer) balk at coverage. Once you deviate, and in your case 14 months before first service at independent mechanic ... that opened the door for Maserati to push back. They can't stop you from using an independent mechanic, but you need to have perfectly documented records ... not only time and mileage, but the specifics of what was done ... down to the type of oil & filter and etc used in the service.
Beerguy, this is good info, thanks. Any idea if Maserati would try to balk on a warranty claim if the time between service was 13-14 months, but the work was done by a maserati dealer? Or do you have to make sure you get serviced every 12 months on the dot?

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
Beerguy, this is good info, thanks. Any idea if Maserati would try to balk on a warranty claim if the time between service was 13-14 months, but the work was done by a maserati dealer? Or do you have to make sure you get serviced every 12 months on the dot?
The Ghibli service engine reminder will be on prior to 12 months or 12500 miles ... and you will see it each and every time you start the car.

Faithfully, using the Maserati dealer will certainly help, but you only want to delay the annual maintenance service for a very good reason ... like car is hibernated or in storage whether for winter or business/family travel and you plan to do the service as soon as you return. Most Maserati service centers will tell you that's OK if your not driving the car, but the reality is Maserati must approve each and every warranty claim. They might not be as open as the dealer, but clearly know you have proper service being done with Maserati tech and parts.

That said, I hibernate mine over winter and every year break mine out to get my annual service done as close to the 12 month anniversary even if the winter weather is not the best for driving ... delaying a couple weeks is no big deal. Also, the last service before warranty expires it's CRITICAL to have you service done in advance ... even if you bought the extended service contract.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The Ghibli service engine reminder will be on prior to 12 months or 12500 miles ... and you will see it each and every time you start the car.

Faithfully, using the Maserati dealer will certainly help, but you only want to delay the annual maintenance service for a very good reason ... like car is hibernated or in storage whether for winter or business/family travel and you plan to do the service as soon as you return. Most Maserati service centers will tell you that's OK if your not driving the car, but the reality is Maserati must approve each and every warranty claim. They might not be as open as the dealer, but clearly know you have proper service being done with Maserati tech and parts.

That said, I hibernate mine over winter and every year break mine out to get my annual service done as close to the 12 month anniversary even if the winter weather is not the best for driving ... delaying a couple weeks is no big deal. Also, the last service before warranty expires it's CRITICAL to have you service done in advance ... even if you bought the extended service contract.
thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
In Australia, the time between services is 2 years or a certain number of km (don't recall the exact number ATM but possibly 20000km). Go figure!!!
I rather like the long time!

·
Registered
368 Posts
This guy could be a "Troll".
Posted a drastic engine failure message 3 days ago, and since total silence..... Hummmm!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
This guy could be a "Troll".
Posted a drastic engine failure message 3 days ago, and since total silence..... Hummmm!!!!
As toshy indicates he has posted this same message on numerous sites including individual messaging. Hasn't logged back in since these 2 posts ... so unless forgot the password or just viewed as a visitor his only contribution to the forum is making folks aware not to take unnecessary risks with your Maserati warranty ... you have more to lose than proper service costs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts