Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home in ice mode in bumper to bumper traffic (almost at idle) and the car starts to shake like it is about to stall. Check engine light starts to blink. No way to put it in neutral while driving so turn off ice mode and pull over. Shut down and restart, still the same issue. Goes on for about a mile, decide to pull over and wait 10 minutes, no vibrations this time, but the check engine light now stays on. Called my dealer and they suggested calling the service department to determine whether to drive in or if they should send a flat bed truck.

Build date of 3/14. Am wondering if this is the spark plug torque issue others have mentioned. Will know more tomorrow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Same thing happened to me a while ago, the check engine light eventually turned off overnight. Not another sign of the issue after that. When I had the car in for some other service, I asked them to check the computer codes but they didn't find anything.

Would be very interested to hear what your dealer says. Please post back in this thread.

FYI, my build date was 9/13.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Same thing happened to me.
It was bad gas from Shell.
I refilled with Sunoco and the problem went away.
Tried Shell once more when I had no other choice and the problem returned.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Anyone else had the problem with Shell or was it just related to that station?

FoxBeat

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same thing happened to me.
It was bad gas from Shell.
I refilled with Sunoco and the problem went away.
Don't know what gas is in the car, still running on the tank the dealer filled when I bough it a week ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exact same thing with mine without the ICE feature engaged. Replaced all spark-plugs and not an issue since then.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had both the spark plug problem with the symptoms described and a subsequent problem that could not be diagnosed. In both instances I had filled up with shell just prior to the problem manifesting itself, so I am inclined to believe that for some reason shell gas is causing a problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had both the spark plug problem with the symptoms described and a subsequent problem that could not be diagnosed. In both instances I had filled up with shell just prior to the problem manifesting itself, so I am inclined to believe that for some reason shell gas is causing a problem.
Thanks for sharing.

Even if it's not coincidence and the issue is indeed caused by shell gas, it's still a defect in the car given there is no guidance from Maserati to not use shell has.

Rather worrisome if the problem reoccurred after the plugs were changed (regardless of what has was used).

Waiting for a call back from the San Jose Stevens creek Maserati service department....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Anyone else had the problem with Shell or was it just related to that station?

FoxBeat
Two different stations. One in Fredricksburg Virginia and one in D.C.

·
Administrator
2,518 Posts
There appears to be a root cause for some of the check engine and spark plug cleanings. Mine were fine, but some cars were started and stopped intermittently in port (shipping through receiving) than sat too long and I was told this could be contributing to carbon fouling of the plugs. Cleaning (or easier to replace under warranty is the first step).

Some cars are finicky on gas and even approaching/exceeding the 10% ethanol content will cause them to hesitate or have the check engine light come on under it clears with fresh fuel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There appears to be a root cause for some of the check engine and spark plug cleanings. Mine were fine, but some cars were started and stopped intermittently in port (shipping through receiving) than sat too long and I was told this could be contributing to carbon fouling of the plugs. Cleaning (or easier to replace under warranty is the first step).

Some cars are finicky on gas and even approaching/exceeding the 10% ethanol content will cause them to hesitate or have the check engine light come on under it clears with fresh fuel.
In my cars case, it was on its first tank of gas, with only 1/4 consumed. When I started it this morning, it ran fine vs the rough idle and shaking. Unlikely the gas will cause this after 1/4 tank and then be okay the next morning (with no new gas added). I'm guessing it's the plugs. Will know tomorrow. Car is now with the dealer and they will pull the codes in the morning. Also getting s/w updates done and dynamat on rear shelf (even though there is no sub installed).

·
Administrator
2,518 Posts
In my cars case, it was on its first tank of gas, with only 1/4 consumed. When I started it this morning, it ran fine vs the rough idle and shaking. Unlikely the gas will cause this after 1/4 tank and then be okay the next morning (with no new gas added). I'm guessing it's the plugs. Will know tomorrow. Car is now with the dealer and they will pull the codes in the morning. Also getting s/w updates done and dynamat on rear shelf (even though there is no sub installed).
Sounds like plugs since you had very little driving of the car to date.
How about the Sirius Antenna? Or is yours fine. Mine was borderline and there is a replacement by Maserati for the known problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like plugs since you had very little driving of the car to date.
How about the Sirius Antenna? Or is yours fine. Mine was borderline and there is a replacement by Maserati for the known problem.
Yes, it's brand new, a week old :)

No idea about the satellite antenna. Don't plan to use satellite radio.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine went on when I ran out of gas as I was pulling into a Shell station. No problem with Shell--just my experiment to see how low is low. It would not reset, so I had to take it into the dealer for a reset. No problems after that act of stupidity.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just picked up a message from the service department. Plugs had some carbon on them so could be causing the issue. They are now waiting for Maserati to confirm that the plugs should be changed.

Apparently Maserati is looking at every issue being raised very carefully and approving every decision. I was also told that they are being asked to work the list of issues for each car in series (vs in parallel), which makes little sense to me but...

I've asked for the cel code, will know tomorrow.

Also asked how complicated it would be be for them to install the sub woofer. Will post an update for those of you considering the same.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks, Gibs. It seems the practice of waiting to hear back from Maserati before the dealer can do anything is pretty standard, at least at Stevens Creek. I just assume they will have my car for at least a couple of days every time I bring it in now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just dropped of my car at Stevens Creek. drying the GLK rental makes me appreciate the ghibli. what type of models have you gotten as a loaner?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Our dealer has no loaner! Is willing to due rental if necessary, assume compact.Doesn't come up with Ferrari and I guess not enough Masers in Vegas to justify cost.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just dropped of my car at Stevens Creek. drying the GLK rental makes me appreciate the ghibli. what type of models have you gotten as a loaner?
They gave me a Mercedes clk. okay, but nothing special.

Picking up my car today. They said the plugs were fouled up but didn't have a good explanation. Torque was fine. Cel codes suggested 4 cylinders misfired! They replaced all the plugs.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This issue has happened to my car twice since I got it. I usually get gas at Safeway (grocery store chain). I don't know what all they changed in the last couple of times this happened, but it would be worrisome if it is the gas, since that means some aspect of the design/programming is borderline.

In any case, I am at least glad it's not just me - sorry to feel this way, but this hopefully means that Maserati will find a solution and offer a fix?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts