Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

47,000 Engine Blew not sure what to do at this point? 2017 Ghibli any ideas on how I can find a used engine?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  23294virgo 
#1 ·
Dealer told me the engine is most likely done for but need to do more test which will cost so much more just for them to tell me its the engine, now they told me the battery is dead and I have to pay $700 for a new battery or they cant continue to work on the car....

#2 ·
The price for the battery and installation is way out of line. Normally Maserati charges around $350-500 for the installed battery. The equivalent AGM Interstate battery is closer to $250-300.

As for engine, they should be able to tell you more upfront. Like was there metal shavings in the oil pan ... that's usually a sure sign of failure.

Many have been lucky and found good quality engines from wrecks through EBAY ... there are many, some with low miles. The S/SQ4 is a little more in demand.

#3 ·
Yea they want to charge me $700 for just the battery and another $1,000 to determine if it’s really the engine yea mine is a base ghibli the service manager said be careful buying those used engines sometimes they don’t fit it seems like he just wants to grab money from me

#6 ·
While it could very well be a shot motor. an engine starting, then suddenly shutting off/stalling could be many different things. I even have a friend whos truck did the same thing and thought the engine locked up, but it was the starter gear/bendix failing , which prevented the engine from rotating, even with a breaker bar on the balancer bolt. Personally I would get a 2nd opinion from a different dealer or shop and ask for proof too. Also Not sure why a replacement non-base ghibli engine wouldn't "fit". I'm pretty sure they're all mechanically the same v6 3.0L, just with different tuning for power ratings until 2018+ years. Good luck!

#7 ·
The S/SQ4 engine doesn't fit in base set-up. They are similar but not enough to be interchangeable without modifications.
If you get a verified base v6 3.0L engine it will fit. Key is finding a good one from a wreck that's been properly maintained.
Some dealers are picky and want you to do things their way or the highway. Others will work with you on finding a used engine to help save some money, (while they still make the same/more profit on labor).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.