Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I'm here, but yes, I am thinking of taking the plunge on a Maserati. So conflicted. 50 something, mortgage is paid, had a great year, yadda, yadda, yadda. Just feels like it might be weird for me to pull up in a Ghibli SQ4 in my decidedly middle class south shore LI neighborhood (even weirder if a GranTurismo, but it takes my breath away, hehe). Other choice is a Jaguar XF. Coming out of my 3rd MB E350, and need something new and exciting. None of the other candidates get me going (BMW 5 or 6, Audi A6 or A7, MB CLS).

Been talking to Maserati of Long Island in Plainview, but it seems many are going elsewhere in NYC/tri-state area. So far my experience has been really good, no pressure, responsive, etc. Color combo likely nero ribele/rosso, blue passione/cuoio, grigia maratea/rosso (wish they offered the bordeaux interior like in GT). Struggling with what everyone else has struggled with: go with great deal on leftover 2014 or order 2015, stock suspension or Skyhook (no sport for me), aftermarket audio or B&W system, what tires/rims for winter driving, lease vs buy. Probably will order 2015 because I really want ventilated seats and really like Skyhook idea, and those are impossible to find, and if I lease, I will want B&W system cuz I dont want to put 3-4k of my own money when I can residualize the B&W system (pay only 50% of the upgrade charge if I get 50% residual).

Anyway, sorry for the long intro, going to test drive SQ4 tomorrow. Wish me luck!

(PS- ETodd, I'm an ex-Marsh guy as well)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw the Reeves website and they do have fantastic pricing on leftovers. Looks like roughly 20% off on most cars, give or take. Problem will be trying to find a car that meets my specs and color combos, and I'm not yet ready to pull trigger as my lease doesn't end till 12/1. Ordering is different as I can wait for build time. However, my guess is that 2015 order car will likely only afford a discount in 10% range, although (and I need to check this) I think the 2015 may have some previous optional equipment now standard (like 19" Proteo wheels?), which may close the gap a bit.

·
Registered
312 Posts
So conflicted. 50 something, mortgage is paid, had a great year, yadda, yadda, yadda. Just feels like it might be weird for me to pull up in a Ghibli SQ4 in my decidedly middle class south shore LI neighborhood
I was just saying to my wife last night that sometimes I feel embarassed pulling up in the Maserati. Most people think it costs well over $100k.
I find myself over-explaining/justifying it's actual cost.
I don't drive it to work or family functions.
I don't want employees, customers or family to start feeling a certain way.
I've had several expensive cars in the past, but despite the price similarities a Maserati evokes something VERY different.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Glad to hear you are getting good treatment from our local Maserati dealer, I cannot say the same and had the exact opposite experience; my decision to buy elsewhere was not due to price but to an awful pre-sales experience.

With regard to the car IMO you are right on the money; a late model 2014 is a wonderful choice, but I think you will find it hard to get a car with ventilated seats off the NA inventory.

My 2015 is on route from Italy and I am hoping it will be at the dealer 9/4 and in my hands 9/12

DD

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tsj - exactly, but somehow i think i will get over it, lol
deep - lol....funny
DD - yesterday for the first time i noticed some frustration from the salesperson. I have been to dealer several times now, with one previous aborted test drive due to traffic. So yesterday was first extensive test drive in both GT and Ghibli SQ4. I think he expected a decision, but I've been very clear with him that this will be a long process. He wasn't bad, just sensed a bit of frustration.

In any event, drove the GT and Ghibli. The GT is awesome, as would be expected, and I could see it as a daily driver for most part, but it's still somewhat impractical at this point in my life. I pray that some day I can pick up a used one "cheap" just to drive on weekends. Back to the real world, and the Ghibli doesnt give up too much to the GT. No, it's not the same car, and anyone claiming so is foolish, but it has similar qualities: acceleration, sound, handling. Really comfortable seats (have no idea why one reviewer, i think C&D, said the seats were awful. Really?).

Going to drive the Panamera and maybe Jag XJ, then it's decision time.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Jeff:
Now that I know you, I feel I can say the following...

First, just as I have, you have worked very hard very long and made sacrifices to be in the place you are able to afford a Maserati.:D

Second, Driving a car, whether its an $88,000 or $120,000 car is not a reason to be embarrassed to show friends and family. It is a sign of your success and good taste and style. I am sure your employees, family and friends are glad you are doing well, as are mine (That means you will not be asking them for money!!! >:D).

Third, I do not explain the "cost" of the car to anyone. If they want to look up the car on the website they will regardless of what you may tell them. All I say when someone asks is , I got a great deal off MSRP and I lease it. That's it..it ends the conversation right there.:nerd:

look... the old saying is if you have it flaunt it...just don't rub anyone's nose in it....0:)

Steve

·
Registered
863 Posts
Have you been pushed over now, or are still hanging by a thread or a rope??

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, here's the update. Drove the XJ. Handles very nice for large car, but handles like a large car, know what I mean?. Interior is just gorgeous, best of luxury breed by far, if luxury is the goal. Footwell area is a little tight on my right leg, oddly enough. If I needed a big cruiser, this would be my choice. Out.
Panamera has really grown on me. Really like the muscular look of the car, and love the jet cockpit interior. My favorite interior. Got a 5 minute drive cuz the idiot salesman never put gas in the car, so we were on fumes (range: 12 miles!!!). Really felt planted though, in the little driving I did. Handled really well for a big car, and felt smaller than the Jag, but looked a bit boat like over the front hood compared to the Ghibli. The car is more expensive, and dealers don't seem to deal, acting rather obnoxious at every Porsche dealer I visited. Also, my entire family hates the car, so I would be overruled by the internal committee anyway, lol. Out.
Jaguar XF. The budget choice. Wow. Great car. Looks, inerior, handling, acceleration, braking. All there. This is the right choice. No, really. It is....but...its not a Maserati...and I can finally afford one...and...and...struggling now. Little rational angel on one shoulder, devilish dude on the other. working it out....

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thought Jag was ok but it is at end of current model. But if carefull price is great. But at this point it is nothing special!

·
Registered
695 Posts
As long as Porsche keeps inventory in line with demand dealers aren't motivated to deep discount. I think if you want a Panamera a certified is the way to go as they have very low interest financing.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Jeff:
Now that I know you, I feel I can say the following...

First, just as I have, you have worked very hard very long and made sacrifices to be in the place you are able to afford a Maserati.:D

Second, Driving a car, whether its an $88,000 or $120,000 car is not a reason to be embarrassed to show friends and family. It is a sign of your success and good taste and style. I am sure your employees, family and friends are glad you are doing well, as are mine (That means you will not be asking them for money!!! >:D).

Third, I do not explain the "cost" of the car to anyone. If they want to look up the car on the website they will regardless of what you may tell them. All I say when someone asks is , I got a great deal off MSRP and I lease it. That's it..it ends the conversation right there.:nerd:

look... the old saying is if you have it flaunt it...just don't rub anyone's nose in it....0:)

Steve
Well said... I'm taking a big jump into a Maserati, worked hard for it and am still young. Won't be driving it to clients locations ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
getting down to nitty gritty now. will drive sport suspension on wednesday. got some contradictory advice on skyhook from nyc dealer, so bit confused on diff susp

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
There are several other posts about Skyhook/Sports vs Wheel size; net is with 19" either is a good choice, but larger rims require Skyhook

I have 19" with Sports

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DD, a meet-up?

DD, since you have pretty much the exact specs I want (19" wheels, B&W audio, Luxury plus) plus the sport suspension, I should really just meet you on LI and drive/listen to your car!!! :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DD, since you have pretty much the exact specs I want (19" wheels, B&W audio, Luxury plus) plus the sport suspension, I should really just meet you on LI and drive/listen to your car!!! :D
When it arrives, of course, LOL! did you get a delivery date yet?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im heading to the Plainview one as well the end of next month to grab a base ghibli. I had no idea a 2015 was coming out? When? And are there any drastic changes on the exterior??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts