Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be heresy, but is there any way to have a quiet cold start with this car?

Don't get me wrong, I love the exhaust sound on this car, especially in sport mode, but my wife thinks it's obnoxious and is a little embarrassed by it (we live in a quiet neighborhood with houses close together). As a result she refuses to drive it (may not be a bad thing).

I said I'd ask about it though, so here I am. :)

·
Registered
2016 Ghibli, 2019 VW Golf GTI
85 Posts
There isn't....it's to do with various requirements during the cold start. Search community 'Exhaust at startup' on this site & there are a few explanations why this happens. BTW your a brave man adding ...'As a result she refuses to drive it (may not be a bad thing)'...:eek:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark, thank you for the info! Ya, I kinda figured there was a reason other than it sounds really good. And of course that's reason enough for me. :)

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
376 Posts
You're off by one model year. They started to calm the cold start in 2018. I previously had a 2015 and it was vicious, borderline obnoxious would be a good description. My 2018 is still loud but not quite as obnoxious. Warm start-up is subdued too.

I used to get embarrassed on occasion with my 2015 too. I lived in a high rise with a low ceiling, enclosed parking garage and you could hear me start up all the way in the lobby (the doorman always knew when I was coming or going lol). Mostly b/c it stays loud for so long, I'd prefer it be about half as long personally.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That totally makes sense that they'd tone it down. I brought my car in to the dealer (Maserati/Ferrari) for the first time last year to go through my list of things to check and repair if needed just before my warranty expired (I bought it used). When the service person got to my item "the car is loud, is something wrong?", she very patiently explained that this is not a lexus and, yes, this is completely normal as if she had the conversation 1000 times before.

As I waited in the lounge it became abundantly clear that this was in fact normal for this type of car. They were doing construction at the time and kept starting and moving around their collection of ferraris and maseratis. You had to yell to have a conversation.

Every once in a while it's a little embarrassing, but most of the time I look forward to that cold start. Thanks to Mark for confirming that I can't change it and ChiTownMaser that I need to buy a new maserati to "fix" the problem. :)

You're off by one model year. They started to calm the cold start in 2018. I previously had a 2015 and it was vicious, borderline obnoxious would be a good description. My 2018 is still loud but not quite as obnoxious. Warm start-up is subdued too.

I used to get embarrassed on occasion with my 2015 too. I lived in a high rise with a low ceiling, enclosed parking garage and you could hear me start up all the way in the lobby (the doorman always knew when I was coming or going lol). Mostly b/c it stays loud for so long, I'd prefer it be about half as long personally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same issue in winter when the cats are cold. I start it then put it straight in 'drive'. It kills the revs and makes it a lot quieter. Still screams like a banshee when started for a second or 2 though :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the same issue in winter when the cats are cold. I start it then put it straight in 'drive'. It kills the revs and makes it a lot quieter. Still screams like a banshee when started for a second or 2 though :D
... I do the same thing, when I start my car in the parking garage beneath our home...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts