Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Maserati Ghibli team! Hope you all are doing well, thanks for having me here, straight to the topic, I'm interested in owning a 2014 Maserati Ghibli SQ4, This car has a SALVAGE TITLE! here in my location, before ending the deal, I really want to make sure that I'm getting a good reliable car for what I pay, I want to know that what I should be looking for when purchasing this Maserati, anything to take into consideration, what to look for or any suggestion you guys have, please share it with me,

Some things that I will be looking out for during my inspection day:
noises in the engine
check transmission for slips jolts etc
verify all electrics / features / lights,
coolant or oil leaks
They are asking for the price of $24,900 and it has 74000 Miles with a Salvage Title. Is it worth it or not?

If you guys have any suggestions on what to look at.
thanks
Wheel Car Vehicle Sky Tire

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Speedometer Gear shift Vehicle Car Satellite radio

·
Registered
2015 Black Maserati Ghibli SQ4 (Named "Bella")
72 Posts
Hello, and I look forward to welcoming you to the club, eventually...

$24k for a '14 Ghibli with 74k miles AND a salvage title is NOT A GOOD DEAL !!!
HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU WALK AWAY...

I just bought my 2015 with 24k miles, in stunning condition, one owner, clean title and Carfax with 4 year aftermarket warranty for $31k.

Carvana has many similar deals and prices as well. I ordered one thru them, but a local one popped up and I bought it instead.

The vehicle you are considering is so far away from a good deal, I can't imagine why you'd even consider it, frankly. Has way too many strikes against it. It's a 2014, known to have more issues to begin with, it has high mileage, and it has a salvage history (meaning an insurance company has decided the damage done to it exceeded a reasonable value to fix it), and basically branded it as "Fixed Junk".

Would love to hear another member got a new car here, but every fiber of my body, and dozens of hours of researching the Ghibli before I bought mine, tell me you should run away from this screaming like your hair was on fire.

DONT DO IT !!!

·
Administrator
2,752 Posts
Price is high for the year and mileage let alone the risk of not knowing what happened to create the salvage title.
In addition, to what you indicate to check, you should also check the service records and/or CarFax if possible.
It's quite possible they pieced two vehicles together with rear and/or front damage which might be OK ... but you should be able to buy at a substantial discount for the risk of unknown/future costs. If there is a lot of maintenance that needs to be done (like brakes/rotors) you'll spend thousands out of pocket.

·
Registered
2014 GT MC / 2018 Ghibli SQ4 Gransport
384 Posts
What you describe is probably one of the worst Ghibli's one can buy! First model year, high mileage, salvage title... at least it's a SQ4

you said you really want to buy a reliable car... this is probably not it bud...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, and I look forward to welcoming you to the club, eventually...

$24k for a '14 Ghibli with 74k miles AND a salvage title is NOT A GOOD DEAL !!!
HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU WALK AWAY...

I just bought my 2015 with 24k miles, in stunning condition, one owner, clean title and Carfax with 4 year aftermarket warranty for $31k.

Carvana has many similar deals and prices as well. I ordered one thru them, but a local one popped up and I bought it instead.

The vehicle you are considering is so far away from a good deal, I can't imagine why you'd even consider it, frankly. Has way too many strikes against it. It's a 2014, known to have more issues to begin with, it has high mileage, and it has a salvage history (meaning an insurance company has decided the damage done to it exceeded a reasonable value to fix it), and basically branded it as "Fixed Junk".

Would love to hear another member got a new car here, but every fiber of my body, and dozens of hours of researching the Ghibli before I bought mine, tell me you should run away from this screaming like your hair was on fire.

DONT DO IT !!!
Thanks for you advices, it's really helpful and allow me to think thoroughly, I run a car report from this site tailedvehiclehistory.com, which is really cheap and they got mobile application! (I don't want to spend $40 for the carfax)
I'm going to get report, I will share to you guys.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Look forward to hearing about it.

that said, $24k for a 2014 with 74k miles and a clean title would be too much IMO. The salvage title should knock $5k minimum off, and be aware that when you go to sell it, dealers won’t touch it with a salvage title, and no individual I know personally would want it either. So if you do decide to buy it, you’re gonna be stuck with it.

Reactions: Ronny789

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd second everything said here. A clean title high millage '14 is barely worth that price. A salvage title should be well under $20k IMHO. The other issue that I see from your pics is that it appears not to have any options. No extended leather = lots of plastic. No paddle shifters = no sport package. I assume if the buyer skimped on those options they didn't do any other options either. It may be an SQ4, but inside it's still be a base car.

Look for stitching in the leather on the dash (all cars with colored leather on the dash are extended leather) and stitching on the leather near the top of the door panels. Other things to look for are stainless foot pedals and a little switch between your legs on the driver's seat. This is for the power foot pedals. And paddle shifters will indicate the sport package which had the sport suspension and lowers the car by about half an inch. There are some other bits to look for that indicate what packages are on there.

• Helpful

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look forward to hearing about it.

that said, $24k for a 2014 with 74k miles and a clean title would be too much IMO. The salvage title should knock $5k minimum off, and be aware that when you go to sell it, dealers won’t touch it with a salvage title, and no individual I know personally would want it either. So if you do decide to buy it, you’re gonna be stuck with it.
Glad I join this forum, Thanks for the super helpful advices, this car is overpriced for a salvage title! , not to mentioned I will probably be selling it after few month, it's better I get the clean title one knowing that I can sell more easy than a salvage

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd second everything said here. A clean title high millage '14 is barely worth that price. A salvage title should be well under $20k IMHO. The other issue that I see from your pics is that it appears not to have any options. No extended leather = lots of plastic. No paddle shifters = no sport package. I assume if the buyer skimped on those options they didn't do any other options either. It may be an SQ4, but inside it's still be a base car.

Look for stitching in the leather on the dash (all cars with colored leather on the dash are extended leather) and stitching on the leather near the top of the door panels. Other things to look for are stainless foot pedals and a little switch between your legs on the driver's seat. This is for the power foot pedals. And paddle shifters will indicate the sport package which had the sport suspension and lowers the car by about half an inch. There are some other bits to look for that indicate what packages are on there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone's super helpful comments I decided to do my due diligence before spending so much money especially after concerns raised here. I requested the VIN number from the owner and started by searching on Decode any VIN Number or license plate accurately in seconds for any historical records that could shine light into its past. To my surprise, I saw a blurred photos after entering the VIN number so my curiosity piqued and I took a bite. Yes this car damage seems serious!, what do you guys think of this damage? It's not worth the price! This car was sold for $10,700 (Auction Records)
Here is the car report! https://app.detailedvehiclehistory.com/report/vin/ZAM57RTA9E1099926
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
72 Posts
You're welcome.

The body damage alone was probably 6-7k to fix. Then you got the suspension that's completely jacked, likely motor mounts, coolant system, likely seals between motor and tranny, and wrapping up this crap-burrito with almost certain frame damage. Even when repaired, it will NEVER be absolutely right, and will likely be plagued with issues the remainder of it's new life.

And trust me, as I said before, you will almost certainly NEVER be able to sell this car to anyone who does their homework on it.

She's pretty now, but damaged goods. Like a woman who's been mistreated and hurt, she will unfortunately always have some of the baggage from her previous harm. That doesn't mean she's worthless, it just means the next guy is likely gonna have a lot more to deal with than maybe he's realized and able to, and it's not a good way to start out.
(This is not meant to be sexist, but rather an analogy that may be better understood)

As for you preferring your chosen VIN check over Carfax, just know that most highline dealers will show you a Carfax (often online) for free. I would never consider a vehicle without seeing a carfax, whether I have to pay for it or not though.

• Wow

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@DamnHippie, Yes sir, with the damages this car got for long run it's not worth it! , thanks for your awesome explanation, I have to admit that this car is a beauty, love that V6 sound! , It's not worth saving few thousand $ for a salvage title vehicle, I will probably sell it in the future so I want it to go fast and yes I don't want loose much $!!.

Yes sir, I would love to get the carfax, but I'm buying from a private owner and unfortunately he don't provide the carfax, I found this site which I really like their customer service, they called and offer me a 50% discount, So I decided to give it a try! And most important it's way cheaper!

·
Administrator
2,752 Posts
The repair estimate was more than the value of the car. A proper repair for that damage would run over $20K easy.
Also interesting the current owner bought with 59K miles and selling at 74K ... it's been driven and probably got a deal and wants to unload before putting out big money.

Long story short ... find another clean, low mileage Ghibli. They're out there you just need to look and be in right place right time.

Best of luck

·
Registered
2015 Maserati Ghibli S Q4
46 Posts
Definitely NOT a good buy and I would strongly advise you NOT to buy this vehicle. I just sold my beautiful 2015 Ghibli SQ4 with only 23,000 original miles for $24,800. The car was in pristine condition too. So, clearly, if you even check the Kelly Bluebook or Carfax Value, you’ll see this is an easy decision - NO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts