Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read every post about improving the factory sound system, but couldn't find the answer to what I was looking for. My car has the oval speaker in back and 2 speakers on each door, but I'm not sure if that's the base or premium system (it doesn't sound premium to me).
Does the sound improve if all the speakers are replaced with aftermarket ones? If so, which one would you recommend.
I don't want to add a DSP or amp if I don't need to. I just want a decent sound.
Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
651 Posts
First step to upgrade a car stereo is a proper amp.
Replacing speakers while keeping the stock amp won't do much, if anything.

·
Registered
651 Posts
To get most out of the speakers yes, but it depends on how much do you want to spend.
My advice is to check with a car audio shop, they'll give you some options and tell you all the pros and cons.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I took the car to a local audio shop and they gave a couple of options:
1-) For $2800, add a 10" subwoofer enclosure in the trunk (JL CS110TG-TW3), upgrade the amp and add a bit one DSP. Keeping the original speakers.
2-) For $1500, subwoofer and amp for all speakers, but no DSP.
3-) For $800, subwoofer with its own amp, keeping the speakers with the original amp.

I definitely don't want to drop 3k on an audio system with the original speakers. I'm thinking of going with option 2 and replace the door speakers. Is anyone using an amp without DSP?
Also, saw a few threads here in the forum where they are only adding a sub with a dedicated amp, but they didn't mention anything about results. What are your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I definitely don't want to drop 3k on an audio system with the original speakers. I'm thinking of going with option 2 and replace the door speakers.
Sigh... Do as you wish, but the speakers aren't the weakest link. You'd be amazed of how good OEM speakers can sound when mated to a proper amp and DSP. Also, the speakers are incomparably easier to replace than installing an amp and DSP, and you can do it later. A good set of speaker is $3-400 and should be the last component you upgrade.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I took the car to a local audio shop and they gave a couple of options:
1-) For $2800, add a 10" subwoofer enclosure in the trunk (JL CS110TG-TW3), upgrade the amp and add a bit one DSP. Keeping the original speakers.
2-) For $1500, subwoofer and amp for all speakers, but no DSP.
3-) For $800, subwoofer with its own amp, keeping the speakers with the original amp.

I definitely don't want to drop 3k on an audio system with the original speakers. I'm thinking of going with option 2 and replace the door speakers. Is anyone using an amp without DSP?
Also, saw a few threads here in the forum where they are only adding a sub with a dedicated amp, but they didn't mention anything about results. What are your thoughts on this.
I did what you described in option 3 (same sub) but upgraded the front 2 door speakers. In hindsight, I would have also upgraded the center dash speaker. The stock speakers are very basic and low quality... you'll see for yourself if you look at them. Even with my sub off, it's makes a huge difference just having upgraded 2 door speakers. I feel I could have just upgraded all 4 front door speakers plus center speakers, skipped the sub plus amp, and would have been happy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Chi TownMaser, What year is your Ghibli? 2016 and up have better system, but mine is a 2015.
That's a good point, so we're not really comparing apples. I have a 2018 with the Harmon 900W stock amp. So I had no need for a new main amp and just added that same sub you're looking at with a rockford sub amp to separately power it and control output.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll see if the dealer want to update the amp software to 10 db to see if that gives enough power to the speakers. Then, I'll add the sub with its own amp. I'll start with that and see how it works.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had that same 10 db adjustment done on my 2015 and it makes a heck of a difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts