Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean strange, not a new car smell that some people does not like. The weather is getting hot here in California and the air conditional starting to be useful to bring the temperature down. However, I notice the smell of the air out from the vent are very strange; kind of rusted metal soak in the water for a long period of time that kind of smell.

It is not from the carpet or the leather seats, it is from the air conditioner for sure.

Anyone has this issue?

by the way, I have own 6 brand new cars in the past 10 years and pretty sure this smell is not normal. :confused:

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would hate to find out that the system is leaking but if you're smelling it, it might be that there's a leak. I would drive down to the dealership to let them have a look at it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would hate to find out that the system is leaking but if you're smelling it, it might be that there's a leak. I would drive down to the dealership to let them have a look at it.
Thanks. I hate to think that is the problem too. Will drive down there for them to check it out.

I was hoping someone tells me that is the Maserati smell!! haha.:D

·
Registered
284 Posts
I also hate to tell you that, but it's likely what it is. But of course I could be wrong, im no mechanic.

haha that would also be a bad thing, wouldn't want to get a high end italian car with a new car smell that smells bad, still better than experiencing a real mechanical problem though

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like the drain, overboard, is blocked or restricted in some way. BMW had this problem a few models back and the way I solved it was by turning off the compressor and running the blower for about 5 minutes to "dry out" the condenser.
For your case, have the dealer check that overboard drain.

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
i have 2 issues w/ mine:

1st - my AC does not work everytime. when it works its freezing cold. when it doesnt work, its blows warm air. the issue w/ mine is the compressor does not turn on each time. its hit or miss.

2nd - maybe this is what you have... but i just started noticing this a few weeks ago.. i start the car up in the AM, drive it conservatively for 1st 15 min since i live in a suburban area and need to get myself onto the highway... once i hit the freeway, and take it up to 80mph or whatever i begin to smell burning plastic, its very faint, and just barely smellable.

the first time it happened i thought maybe it was a car in front / behind me etc. then it happened again and i knew it was me and it has happened prob 5x now. at one point i began to question myself and thought it was in my head and i was imagining things.

isnt there an old saying that if you smell burnt eggs you have cancer?

tzuchun - i think maybe both you and i need to consult w/ our doctors about this first! both maserati dealer and doctor share one thing in common, they can both surely empty your wallet in the blink of an eye.

in all seriousness - i intend to take my car in for service soon. my plan is to wait till i hit the 3000 mile mark before going in. that way i can tackle a few items at once, rather then going in for service every few weeks. in my case, the compressor is not a ASAP item, but if you think its something more serious by all means schedule an appt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great, it sounds like the AC is an issue for me too. I have the exact same problem you listed in #1 . Also, when it's blowing warm air, it has this moldy smell which is not pleasant. Well, this is under warranty so I don't think the dealer can empty my wallet yet.

For your 2nd problem, how many miles do you have on your car? Since it's relatively new and it's still breaking in, it's not uncommon to smell something burning. Whenever I push it over 4K rpm and downshift manually, I do smell the burning plastic you were referring to. I have about 950miles on the clock.

i have 2 issues w/ mine:

1st - my AC does not work everytime. when it works its freezing cold. when it doesnt work, its blows warm air. the issue w/ mine is the compressor does not turn on each time. its hit or miss.

2nd - maybe this is what you have... but i just started noticing this a few weeks ago.. i start the car up in the AM, drive it conservatively for 1st 15 min since i live in a suburban area and need to get myself onto the highway... once i hit the freeway, and take it up to 80mph or whatever i begin to smell burning plastic, its very faint, and just barely smellable.

the first time it happened i thought maybe it was a car in front / behind me etc. then it happened again and i knew it was me and it has happened prob 5x now. at one point i began to question myself and thought it was in my head and i was imagining things.

isnt there an old saying that if you smell burnt eggs you have cancer?

tzuchun - i think maybe both you and i need to consult w/ our doctors about this first! both maserati dealer and doctor share one thing in common, they can both surely empty your wallet in the blink of an eye.

in all seriousness - i intend to take my car in for service soon. my plan is to wait till i hit the 3000 mile mark before going in. that way i can tackle a few items at once, rather then going in for service every few weeks. in my case, the compressor is not a ASAP item, but if you think its something more serious by all means schedule an appt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok guys. So I brought the Ghibli in yesterday and the service manager said there's a campaign on the A/C. What happened was the MTC is not communicating with the A/C switches below the MTC. A software update should solve the problem.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the smell too. It smells especially bad after rain. Like you got rain water in your car (but there isn't any). It smells awful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Reviving an old thread. I did notice smell when turning on the aircon when the car is left under the sun for a long time. It goes away after a while though. Cabin filter looks clean.

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had that burned plastic smell situation a few month ago when I put the heat on, nasty smell inside the cabin, took it to the dealer & turned out to be a plastic bag on the road that got stuck to the hot pipe underneath the car, they had to wire brush it off (not covered by the way), they charged $174 for an hour labor, just look under the car maybe same situation

1 - 14 of 14 Posts