Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my SQ4 a few weeks ago and like it, except for one issue: there is an annoying buzzing noise coming from the instrument cluster when I hit the accelerator. It's most noticeable at slow speeds when things are quiet and I push the accelerator lightly around 2-3K rpm. I brought it to the dealer twice and the technician who went on the test drive with me said, yes, that's an annoying noise. The response I received after the service was that this is normal noise from the injectors and that all Ghiblis do that. I did not hear the noise on any of the test drives I took. Has anybody else had an issue with that?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the same issue as well, and I know others on this site have posted the same. What I'm not sure about is whether or not there is a fix yet. Has anyone heard anything definitive from their dealer?

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, it turns out that all Ghiblis (and most likely QP VI) do this based on a meeting at the dealer today and after driving another Ghibli which sounded exactly the same. The noises are caused by two things:

1. The high pressure injectors which are just very loud and poorly noise insulated; they create this buzzing noise which is very audible when everything else is quiet

2. The turbo waste gates vibrate under certain circumstances (turbos near neutral pressure) and it creates this rattle sound which sounds like something loose in the instrument cluster

Both of these appear to be design flaws to me. The turbo waste gate issue could be fixed by Maserati if enough people complain. My guess is the only way to fix the injector noise would be better insulation of the engine cover, but it already has plenty of foam in there so not sure how much of a difference more insulation could make.

So listen carefully to these before buying!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I took delivery of my Q4 last week. Overall extremely happy with the car so far. Yesterday however I too noticed an audible rattling/buzzing coming from the area of the instrument panel. To be honest I had not heard this before and must admit it was only after reading the various posts on this thread that I turned down the sound system and consciously listened, sure enough there it was. I guess the question is .......is this really as some claim "normal" with the implication that's it is therefore not fixable? It seems to me that although some of us have this "feature" others don't which would suggest it's not normal. Must admit I am in a bit of a quandary as to what to do, turn up the sound and drown it out or push to see whether it can be fixed. On balance, I will probably opt for somewhere between the two, let it go for the moment but if it really annoys me over time, see what the service department has to say.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wastegate rattle sound

I bought my Ghibli 2014 3 weeks ago, first week no noise but it started during 2nd week. Today my dealership told me that this noise is because " Wastegate rattle sound" According to them, fix will be available in mid December.

Overall car is great but this noise is making me to switch back to BMW or Benz. I am really disappointment for my purchase.

·
Registered
863 Posts
@Fawad Rehman really just because of this noise you want to switch back?? Even when they say the fix is coming. If you would have read the forum carefully you would have found that the fix is already out and if you go to your dealer and ask them, they would be able to get it.

I think you dont have any idea about Italian cars, otherwise you wouldn't have bought it in the first place if you are a BMW or BENZ guy.

Being an enthusiast, if you are one you would get this car knowing what you are getting into. Its a first year model and you will experience a bunch of issues here and there, with Maserati fixing it in due time.

But please just dont join the forum to tell only about a bad experience esp when the fix is out there.

Try to be a little bit more upside and tell us about the good side as well.

No offense buddy, but a little bit of patience is the key.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I think most people that are used to BMW, Mercedes and Audi don't realize that this humming and buzzing sound is normal in Italian cars. It's the same sound that made you buy the car in the first place:) Even Ferrari's have the same buzzing and rattles and feels a little rough around the edges at times but that's what makes them special.
The only rattle I had issues with was coming through the sub woofer. I think the rest of it is simply the characteristics of this car.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Its hard to explain to people, what exotic means in a car. They would just come up and complain about an issue, even though there is a fix.

Now i am not saying, there are no issue, some people on this forum are having a extremely bad time with this car and i completely support them but in their situation there is a problem which is not getting fixed.

For the issue that has a fix, people would still come and complain.. just ridiculous. :mad:

I think most people that are used to BMW, Mercedes and Audi don't realize that this humming and buzzing sound is normal in Italian cars. It's the same sound that made you buy the car in the first place:) Even Ferrari's have the same buzzing and rattles and feels a little rough around the edges at times but that's what makes them special.
The only rattle I had issues with was coming through the sub woofer. I think the rest of it is simply the characteristics of this car.

·
Registered
863 Posts
@Fawad Rehman, see thats the point i was mentioning above, you need to understand the meaning of buying an exotic car. Benz and BMW are not exotics and they are made up to very refined process. Where as Maserati, Lambo, Ferrari are all exotics they are made for performance, styling and all.

Its a trade off when you buy an exotic, its comes with its fair share off ambiguities which you will not find in a German car.

Honestly speaking i hate to say this, but you need have a different mind set to buy a exotic car. you just cannot buy it to show off and expect it to work like a German machine. Maserati is for people who understand Italian way of making cars. Its like dating a supermodel, you might want to kill yourself bearing her tantrum and attitude but when with you she will always make head turns.

Now with this again i am not saying that people dont have problems and some of them have major issues like theJackal, he is having a nightmare with this car and there are certain reason for it.

But amazingly i have seen only two people that were willing to sell there car with that rattle did not got fixed.

Try to look at the good side, there is a fix and it will be on your car soon, just a little bit of patience.

Secondly if you friends make fun of it, then with all due respect, they dont know anything about Italian or exotic cars and just on that basis you cannot say you regret buying it. How many of your friends can say they have a car with a Ferrari build engine?Or they drive a Maserati?

I really dont mean to annoy or being harsh about it. But when you buy this car its just not about look and exclusivity its about owning a piece of art the Art of Car Making

Reactions: Dane and Mangirek

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Its like dating a supermodel, you might want to kill yourself bearing her tantrum and attitude but when with you she will always make head turns.
What a great analogy. You sir are completely correct!

·
Registered
64 Posts
A supermodel and a masserati what more can you ask for?

Reactions: Mangirek

·
Registered
265 Posts
Where is the fix for the whistling? I saw it in a previous thread, but can't find it...

We should sticky it so people can tell their dealership exactly what part needs to be ordered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep. Mine Too. Technician says, its normal. Removed the insulation from the engine top to make me hear how loud it is. They are claiming this to be "Normal". 2017 Sq4. Though their loaner SQ4 was buzzing less than mine. I never had this buzz on day one. It developed over a period of time.. about 30 to 40 days...

Cheers..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts