Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I found another coilover set up for our cars. BC Racing BR coilover system.
I believe it is a Taiwanese company. Nothing wrong with that since I know Taiwan makes some good quality auto products for OEM and aftermarket.
But what's the review on their coilover system? how does it compare to KW and Megan?
Feedback is greatly appreciated.
:D

·
Registered
284 Posts
Nowhere in the same league as KW, but probably around Megan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm considering the BC racing coilovers also for my Ghibli Diesel. I've ordered the Novitec Tridente 22" wheels.

I'm told by BC Racing UK that the lowwering range on the coilovers is -70mm to -95mm front and -75mm to -100mm on the rear compared to OEM stock height which could be too low for me even on the highest setting.

Has anyone else found specs, photos or anything on these coilovers??

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would never put Taiwan components on this car.
That's kind of an ignorant comment. I work in a OEM distribution company. Do you know how many components are made in Taiwan? We are talking about components used in Ferrai, Bentley, Aston Martin, and yes, Maserati.
Taiwan makes quality products. HTC, I phones, LED panels, Giant bikes, etc. Good company makes good products. Bad company, even if you are German or Japanese, can make bad products.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had BC Racing BR Series coil overs on my Subaru WRX several years ago. Had them for about 4 years and had no issues. Build quality was good as was their adjustability. They were much stiffer than stock. Not sure what they are like on the ghibli but my past experience was good.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had BC Racing BR Series coil overs on my Subaru WRX several years ago. Had them for about 4 years and had no issues. Build quality was good as was their adjustability. They were much stiffer than stock. Not sure what they are like on the ghibli but my past experience was good.

Thanks Mutant9

Right now, I have the sports package. I thought the ride is good. I had H&R springs on all my vehicles in the past. But never a coilover set. I was told that coilover set up will be stiffer than stock, but has much better ride quality than stock shocks with lowering springs. That's why I am considering this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i'd stick with kw, worlds apart for both performance and comfort compared to bc. don't get me wrong bc is great for it's price but if you can afford kw then go with kw.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'd stick with kw, worlds apart for both performance and comfort compared to bc. don't get me wrong bc is great for it's price but if you can afford kw then go with kw.
I understand what you are saying. Unfortunately, I cannot afford KW coilover system. Once I installed it on the car, I don't plan on taking it off. Not gonna give away $3000 to the next driver. Plus, I am not going to track this car. My choices will be H&R springs, BC coilover, Megan Coilover, or the KW, Adjustable spring kit.
Another question I have is, how is BC coilover compare to the KW H.A.S Adjustable spring kit?

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you can afford coilovers, do coilovers over springs. I had KW and ive never been more happy spending 3k. In the end, i was able to salvage most of that 3k dollars when i sold the car.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you can afford coilovers, do coilovers over springs. I had KW and ive never been more happy spending 3k. In the end, i was able to salvage most of that 3k dollars when i sold the car.
I wish I had that kind of extra cash laying around. For my driving style, I don't think I would need KW. I am mainly doing this for the looks without scarificing too much of the ride quality.
With aftermarket mods, unless you sell the car privately to someone that knows about them, usually, you don't get any $ back. Not sure in other states, but in IL, if you trade in your car, you pay less tax. Only on the difference. That's why I don't even try to sell the car privately anymore.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That's kind of an ignorant comment. I work in a OEM distribution company. Do you know how many components are made in Taiwan? We are talking about components used in Ferrai, Bentley, Aston Martin, and yes, Maserati.
Taiwan makes quality products. HTC, I phones, LED panels, Giant bikes, etc. Good company makes good products. Bad company, even if you are German or Japanese, can make bad products.
Hey man, knock yourself out..if you're happy, that's all that matters. With production for oem applications they will have to adhere to certain standards...with aftermarket parts, not so much.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I wish I had that kind of extra cash laying around. For my driving style, I don't think I would need KW. I am mainly doing this for the looks without scarificing too much of the ride quality.
With aftermarket mods, unless you sell the car privately to someone that knows about them, usually, you don't get any $ back. Not sure in other states, but in IL, if you trade in your car, you pay less tax. Only on the difference. That's why I don't even try to sell the car privately anymore.
onlly thing im worried about with springs is the lack of stiffness, which can cause the car to bottom out quite easily. Even at stock height, i already have couple of incidents where i went over a speed bump heard a loud "klunk." Either way, the car will look good with a slight drop.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey man, knock yourself out..if you're happy, that's all that matters. With production for oem applications they will have to adhere to certain standards...with aftermarket parts, not so much.
TKDalumni

I agree that Aftermarket doesn't have as strict of a standard as OEM, but they all still have to pass certain quality criteria and meet all automotive safety requirements. Otherwise, if something happens, they will still get sued just like any automotive makers.

It is the comment you made about "Taiwan components" and "in this car" that I cannot agree. You generalized and made it sound like all Taiwanese parts are cheap and lesser quality. Then saying you would not use on a "Maserati". So it is ok if we are put it on a Honda or a Hyundai? Doesn't it have to be a safe product also to be used on a Honda or Hyundai? Even if they are cheaper cars?:confused:

If you are strictly talking about "performance", then I understand that KW is a better choice. Then again, I am mainly doing this mod to improve the look of the car and not sacrificing the ride quality.

Anyway, if you have experience with KW H.A.S kit, maybe you can help providing some advise on how it compare to H&R springs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
On the BC Coilovers they definitely quoted a drop range of 70-95mm front and 75-100mm rear, but I can't find a spec for these anywhere.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Having had coil overs before I think they are a bit overkill unless you are going to track the car. they were great on my wRX at the track but they were a bit stiff on the street. If I was just looking at a drop I would do springs only. have you considered the FD springs?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Having had coil overs before I think they are a bit overkill unless you are going to track the car. they were great on my wRX at the track but they were a bit stiff on the street. If I was just looking at a drop I would do springs only. have you considered the FD springs?
FD springs are a bit pricy. If I was to only do lowering springs, I will go with H&R, Eibach, or KW H.A.S system.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts