Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do wish my black headrests had red trident stitching. I have searched eBay for some used ones and there aren't many if any and the ones I have seen are big bucks and I don't want it that bad.

Wondering if an upholstery shop cant red stitch of the concave trident and how it would look. Just curious if anyone has had this done?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I do wish my black headrests had red trident stitching. I have searched eBay for some used ones and there aren't many if any and the ones I have seen are big bucks and I don't want it that bad.

Wondering if an upholstery shop cant red stitch of the concave trident and how it would look. Just curious if anyone has had this done?
I've been wanting the same thing since day one. It wasn't even an option in '14 when I bought mine. I've talked to a couple different automotive upholstery shops and it is doable, although they both said that doing a stitch over the embossing can be tricky. The front headrests would be the easiest since the leather can be easily removed and reinstalled. The two on the back seats however are going to more costly due to all the bulk of the material.

One of the shops I talked to recommended using a black leather dye on the embossing before doing the switching so that the red doesn't show through between the threads. Not sure how necessary that would be but.. (I have the red leather, so I wanted black contrast stitching on the Tridents)

Once the world gets back to business, I plan on moving forward with this if it's reasonably affordable.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been wanting the same thing since day one. It wasn't even an option in '14 when I bought mine. I've talked to a couple different automotive upholstery shops and it is doable, although they both said that doing a stitch over the embossing can be tricky. The front headrests would be the easiest since the leather can be easily removed and reinstalled. The two on the back seats however are going to more costly due to all the bulk of the material.

One of the shops I talked to recommended using a black leather dye on the embossing before doing the switching so that the red doesn't show through between the threads. Not sure how necessary that would be but.. (I have the red leather, so I wanted black contrast stitching on the Tridents)

Once the world gets back to business, I plan on moving forward with this if it's reasonably affordable.
Thanks. Did either shop give you a quote?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Not yet, they were going to get back with me with some information but then the whole lockdown started here. Things should start opening back up here in the coming weeks so I'll probably reach out again to see what they can do for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi. Any update available on this? Would like to do this on my headrests as well, though agree that accurately stitching over embossing would be a concern.
Any other options?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Nothing yet on my front.

Did you see the guy's new custom interior he posted of his Ghibli on the other forum, maserati life? It was a recent post, pretty sure it was titled something like New Interior. Came out nice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes. Came out well - I'd definitely consider some subtle contrast modifications to the seats as well.
I did not see that there was a reply regarding where it was done..... there are lots of auto upholstery places around me (San Diego), though it can be a bit of a risk without a trusted recommendation.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No update Sean. I kind of moved on as it seems to be an expensive mod and probably not worth the money. I do surf ebay though for pulls of stitched headrests. Not much there as I assume people that sell, sell the whole seat. Not a common option either.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
65 Posts
No update Sean. I kind of moved on as it seems to be an expensive mod and probably not worth the money. I do surf ebay though for pulls of stitched headrests. Not much there as I assume people that sell, sell the whole seat. Not a common option either.
Hi. Thanks for info - yes, $400 for one headrest is way more bling than I need! I'm starting to save up some of my desired mods for my NEXT Maserati too. 😄😉

I'd make one myself before spending anywhere near that - I fabricated and stitched the seat for my cafe Moto Guzzi restoration project (below), but upholstery is not really my forte and my sewing machine is likely not up for it...

850T MOTO GUZZI Cafe Project

1 - 10 of 10 Posts