Registered
2014 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been pretty irritating over the last few weeks on the '14 Ghibli SQ4

·
Registered
2 Posts
On hydraulic power steering systems, a common reason for the warning light to illuminate is low power steering fluid. You should pull over if you see this light turn on and check the fluid level immediately. Top it off with the correct fluid type and the light should turn off

·
Registered
2014 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate. I'll check it out. It seems to only come on sometimes, so the next time it does I'll give it a look. Need to take it for an oil change anyways - guess i can do it then

·
Registered
2014 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks @cmlf1 . After some rummaging down other forums I found something similar. Sounds like that may be it cause it was unusually cold in Houston for a few weeks. I also just took to shop and they said it wasn't an issue which is good. Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Its been pretty irritating over the last few weeks on the '14 Ghibli SQ4
View attachment 21213
Same thing here, the dealer said it's common.. But with that said, mine has only come on about 6 times over the last couple of years. If it constantly comes on then it could be a bigger issue.
We had to have are whole steering system replaced under warranty. Apparently the power steering pump bearing started to go out and it contaminated the fluid causing it to burp fluid out the power steering cap. I never even noticed a problem with the steering..just noticed the fluid around the cap. Not sure if this is common, but even after the replacement the light has come on once. Just have to restart the car and the system clears it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know part of the service for most cars includes a "flush" of the power steering fluid at a certain mileage. In any car I have owned BMW, MB etc I have always drained or siphoned the PS reservoir at every other oil change to maintain fresh fluid. This is quick and easy and I would rather spend a few dollars and minutes doing this then replacing steering components down the line. It is nearly impossible to drain all fluid from the rack and lines, so this method has worked well for me over the years. I have done this twice on my Ghibli since I have owned it and the PS light has not come on again. I know the Shell Spirax is hard to find, and I am not sure how sensitive the system is to different fluid types but I did get what was sold as Spirax from my dealer (packaged in generic bottles with dealer label, as they purchase the fluids in bulk) and it has so far been happy with it with no lights or noise from the system on cold mornings.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had it show up occasionally (like, 2-3 times over the course of 2 years), when the fluid is totally ok (checked the level). Part of the Italian electronics experience (along with the occasional ghost lock/unlock when driving).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts