Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I ran into this video and was wondering if any of you use one of these to do your oil change?

If so, whats the pro and cons?

Thank you!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hi Onyx, I use it the whole time, I've been doing so for the past 20years, never any issue.

I would not recommend the one on the picture in the video, it is a piece of C...p.
Best to use this one

I also have one of these

You'll hear all kind of arguments why it's bad etc etc...

I have checked after draining the oil, by removing the sump plug in front of sceptic people, and nothing was left in the sump.
As you do the oil change just after the engine has been run, all the particles if any, will be in suspension in the oil.

Anyway, a thing I do, is to put a bit of fresh oil in the engine 1/4 of a pint once all the old oil has been sucked out, to carry away some of the old oil left here and there, then suck it out again.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR7TC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a larger capacity and works very well. I use it both on our TD6 Range Rover and the Ghibli; zero issues and works like a charm.

I don't feel like jacking up the cars anymore and paying someone something that the dealerships do the same thing (suck the oil out) is pointless. Maserati dealerships may drain from the pan, but Land Rovers typically don't. The LR has a tube already there for you to attach your extractor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great! that was the only thing stopping me from doing my own oil change... will get one of these and give it a try, thanks guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts