Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 that has been a joy to drive. Performance and engine sound has been great. Despite having the upgraded audio (though not the Bowers and Wilkins), the system leaves much to be desired.

I will be upgrading the amps, speakers, and subwoofer soon, but I have noticed a few posts on this site mentioning the ability to add Apple CarPlay functionality. My goal is to add CarPlay that allows use of the factory touchscreen and does not look like a cheap knockoff solution. I also want to maintain the best sound quality possible. I have noticed that SD card and Bluetooth have much better sound quality than the sound from radio sources (including satellite).

I’ll briefly summarize what I have seen so far:

Navtool: adds CarPlay (and Android Auto), connects to phone via Lightning Cable, uses touchscreen. Quick online search shows mixed reviews on overall reliability and support. Appears to be based out of NYC

Naviplus: adds CarPlay and gives option of wired vs wireless connection. Seems to have better reliability and support, but significantly more expensive and appears to be shipped from Australia.

Joyeauto: features very similar to Naviplus (I’ve seen some suggest that Naviplus is a rebranded version of this unit). Gives wireless option and is least expensive of the 3. I haven’t seen much about reliability and support. Appears to be from China.

I would love to hear any real world recommendations and advice so I can make the best decision.

In case anyone is interested, my shop plans to use a direct digital interface to add JL audio VX series amps (built in signal processing), Focal component speakers, and a compact JL sub in the trunk (removing factory sub to vent). I’m also going to drop my car off at the dealer soon to fix my intermittent Bluetooth issues. Other posts here suggest it’s a bad module.

·
Registered
2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link.

Have you had any issues or concerns with this system? Is the sound quality acceptable?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the link.

Have you had any issues or concerns with this system? Is the sound quality acceptable?
The sound quality is pretty much the same as stock. This one, unlike Navtool, has a 3.5mm output and you’ll need to plug it in.

No other issues really, 1/10 times it’s a bit slow connecting (as in 20 seconds) but once it connects everything is good. Can’t ask for a better aftermarket CarPlay. The best thing about this unit compared to Navtool aside from being wireless is the way you switch screens. For Navtool, you need to press and hold on the upper left corner of the screen for a few seconds but you’d often miss it. For this one, you only need to hold the back button on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful information AlphaWIP. Do you loose any functionality from the original uconnect system like car settings, climate, etc? I assume you can switch back and forth. Also, did you have someone install for you or is this a fairly straight forward DIY job?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful information AlphaWIP. Do you loose any functionality from the original uconnect system like car settings, climate, etc? I assume you can switch back and forth. Also, did you have someone install for you or is this a fairly straight forward DIY job?
It’s an add on not a replacement so all UConnect functionalities are retained. I did it myself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you get additional Bluetooth functionality for hands free calling through the car audio and mic or do you still have to use UConnect Bluetooth for calls? As you know from my other thread i'm trying to solve for my Bluetooth issue.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do you get additional Bluetooth functionality for hands free calling through the car audio and mic or do you still have to use UConnect Bluetooth for calls? As you know from my other thread i'm trying to solve for my Bluetooth issue.
It goes through the CarPlay, my phone isn’t even paired with UConnect anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts