Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 that has been a joy to drive. Performance and engine sound has been great. Despite having the upgraded audio (though not the Bowers and Wilkins), the system leaves much to be desired.

I will be upgrading the amps, speakers, and subwoofer soon, but I have noticed a few posts on this site mentioning the ability to add Apple CarPlay functionality. My goal is to add CarPlay that allows use of the factory touchscreen and does not look like a cheap knockoff solution. I also want to maintain the best sound quality possible. I have noticed that SD card and Bluetooth have much better sound quality than the sound from radio sources (including satellite).

I’ll briefly summarize what I have seen so far:

Navtool: adds CarPlay (and Android Auto), connects to phone via Lightning Cable, uses touchscreen. Quick online search shows mixed reviews on overall reliability and support. Appears to be based out of NYC

Naviplus: adds CarPlay and gives option of wired vs wireless connection. Seems to have better reliability and support, but significantly more expensive and appears to be shipped from Australia.

Joyeauto: features very similar to Naviplus (I’ve seen some suggest that Naviplus is a rebranded version of this unit). Gives wireless option and is least expensive of the 3. I haven’t seen much about reliability and support. Appears to be from China.

I would love to hear any real world recommendations and advice so I can make the best decision.

In case anyone is interested, my shop plans to use a direct digital interface to add JL audio VX series amps (built in signal processing), Focal component speakers, and a compact JL sub in the trunk (removing factory sub to vent). I’m also going to drop my car off at the dealer soon to fix my intermittent Bluetooth issues. Other posts here suggest it’s a bad module.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought a Chinese wireless CarPlay unit from eBay that works fantastic. Lmk if you want a link.

·
Registered
2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link.

Have you had any issues or concerns with this system? Is the sound quality acceptable?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for the link.

Have you had any issues or concerns with this system? Is the sound quality acceptable?
The sound quality is pretty much the same as stock. This one, unlike Navtool, has a 3.5mm output and you’ll need to plug it in.

No other issues really, 1/10 times it’s a bit slow connecting (as in 20 seconds) but once it connects everything is good. Can’t ask for a better aftermarket CarPlay. The best thing about this unit compared to Navtool aside from being wireless is the way you switch screens. For Navtool, you need to press and hold on the upper left corner of the screen for a few seconds but you’d often miss it. For this one, you only need to hold the back button on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful information AlphaWIP. Do you loose any functionality from the original uconnect system like car settings, climate, etc? I assume you can switch back and forth. Also, did you have someone install for you or is this a fairly straight forward DIY job?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful information AlphaWIP. Do you loose any functionality from the original uconnect system like car settings, climate, etc? I assume you can switch back and forth. Also, did you have someone install for you or is this a fairly straight forward DIY job?
It’s an add on not a replacement so all UConnect functionalities are retained. I did it myself.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you get additional Bluetooth functionality for hands free calling through the car audio and mic or do you still have to use UConnect Bluetooth for calls? As you know from my other thread i'm trying to solve for my Bluetooth issue.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do you get additional Bluetooth functionality for hands free calling through the car audio and mic or do you still have to use UConnect Bluetooth for calls? As you know from my other thread i'm trying to solve for my Bluetooth issue.
It goes through the CarPlay, my phone isn’t even paired with UConnect anymore.

·
Registered
139 Posts
@AlphaWIP is the ebay one better than navtool? and most importantly - does it coexist with factory reversing camera and is the screen in the correct aspect ratio? I dont like the stretched to fit look :-/

is this the type you got?:
Yeah that looks very similar to the one I have (and they’re all basically the same)

Yes, it coexists with the factory system and switches between the two automatically (for example it switches back to factory when you reverse so you see the camera).

Sadly the aspect ratio is a bit stretched vertically, but you’ll get used to it pretty quickly. Having owned both i definitely recommend this one over the NavTool product because of its wireless connectivity and the ability to switch with a button on the steering wheel.

Plus, NavTool support is pretty bad...

·
Registered
2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It seems that the Joyeauto unit would be a better choice over the Navtool version.

I spoke with professional installer and they have had much better support from Joyeauto and have installed quite a few in high end cars including Maserati, Porsche, and Aston Martin.

I should have everything completed in the next couple of weeks and I’m looking forward to an alternative to thing to the constantly malfunctioning Bluetooth system in this car.

While they are adding CarPlay, I will also have them replace the rest of the audio with something much better.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It seems that the Joyeauto unit would be a better choice over the Navtool version.

I spoke with professional installer and they have had much better support from Joyeauto and have installed quite a few in high end cars including Maserati, Porsche, and Aston Martin.

I should have everything completed in the next couple of weeks and I’m looking forward to an alternative to thing to the constantly malfunctioning Bluetooth system in this car.

While they are adding CarPlay, I will also have them replace the rest of the audio with something much better.
I managed to get BT to consistently work for a week now after I pulled the HFM cables and essentially power cycled it. I’m still trying to determine if there are any external factors causing the HFM to eventually break but it’s been working phenomenally so far.

I currently still route my audio over BT instead of the CarPlay box because I’ve noticed an audio quality reduction over CarPlay (feels like there’s less dynamic range and no it’s not the EQ settings).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I managed to get BT to consistently work for a week now after I pulled the HFM cables and essentially power cycled it. I’m still trying to determine if there are any external factors causing the HFM to eventually break but it’s been working phenomenally so far.

I currently still route my audio over BT instead of the CarPlay box because I’ve noticed an audio quality reduction over CarPlay (feels like there’s less dynamic range and no it’s not the EQ settings).
Interesting ; My joyeauto device has arrived - little unnerved by your comments about audio quality, as this is key to me (I have bower and wilkins system which sounds really great). But what will be will be.

Is it possible to run the audio over bluetooth while using carplay? So you can still select tracks and albums via the carplay interface? Or do you change the stereo to bluetooth source, play the phone music, then run carplay and the audio keeps playing via bluetooth means?

Also one other question (i need to do it all in one hit) - is there enough room behind the screen for the joyeauto unit and this unit to give me a clean sub feed?
: PAC C2A-CHY5 Amp Integration Interface: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

·
Registered
139 Posts
Interesting ; My joyeauto device has arrived - little unnerved by your comments about audio quality, as this is key to me (I have bower and wilkins system which sounds really great). But what will be will be.

Is it possible to run the audio over bluetooth while using carplay? So you can still select tracks and albums via the carplay interface? Or do you change the stereo to bluetooth source, play the phone music, then run carplay and the audio keeps playing via bluetooth means?

Also one other question (i need to do it all in one hit) - is there enough room behind the screen for the joyeauto unit and this unit to give me a clean sub feed?
: PAC C2A-CHY5 Amp Integration Interface: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Yes, you can route audio through BT when connected to CarPlay and still control it with the CarPlay interface - that's the setup I'm running. All you need to do is not plug in the AUX cord and have your car on BT audio output.
I doubt you can fit that thing with the CarPlay box behind the screen. Space isn't very generous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, you can route audio through BT when connected to CarPlay and still control it with the CarPlay interface - that's the setup I'm running. All you need to do is not plug in the AUX cord and have your car on BT audio output.
I doubt you can fit that thing with the CarPlay box behind the screen. Space isn't very generous.
Thank you - thats great news - touch wood im not having any bluetooth problems and in the event that I do I can route through the aux to resolve it temporarily.

I'll look into that PAC device - perhaps it can beinstalled by the B+W amp in the rear quarter - alternatively I have a linecontrol LC6i which can convert the sub output to a Line Output and accessory 12v so I'm good either way - but its better to have a clean signal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
today i received my video interface from joyeauto, i took it to professional shop to install, i paid for labor fee, but thing is not working. even if its bit (about 100-150 more) extra, just get the name branded ones. dont risk like me. so pissed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts