Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been scouring the internet for information on the 2021 Ghibli base stereo system as I'd like to add some more bass.

Whilst browsing, I've come across numerous posts about previous years, and how poor the base system is, I have to say that judging by the comments in the posts, something must have changed recently as I think the 2021 system is pretty good for a base system, especially if paired with an Iphone through wired Carplay. There's no apparent clipping that I've noticed, though there certainly can be if using a USB memory stick. There's a decent amount of volume and good sound clarity, it just seems to lack bass on half the songs I listen to.

Modern rap, that my son listens to, seems to have quite punchy bass, with the equaliser bass turned right up, whereas older mainstream music doesn't really achieve the kick I'd like.

Basically, I'm after information on where to tap into speaker wires, and how to identify them, (colours, markings, etc) so that I can add an amp and sub. Wiring diagrams, parts lists, service manual pages covering the stereo system would all be helpful if anyone has access to them.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can share.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Though I have zero info on what you’re looking for, I will say I completely agree with you and wonder what was done to improve the base system for 2021 and up. I’ve had three 2021 loaners recently, one Levante and two Ghiblis. All of them had the base system, and unfortunately and shockingly, it was better the the premium Harmon Kardon system in my 2018.
Not sure if the new infotainment software required a new amp and allowed for better tuning, etc. or something but it was a night and day improvement over mine. Either that, or the Harmon system sucks in general, which I wouldn’t be surprised about considering I’ve yet to be impressed by any Harmon system in the cars I’ve owned.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I used to own a 2014 with the base stereo and, while it was nothing to brag about, it wasn't as bad as some make it out to be.

That being said, I had a rental 2019 S with the base stereo and it was better than the 2014 in my opinion.

I've always said that owners of Ghiblis should be listening to the exhaust note and not the stereo and I stand by that. I must be getting old as in the 2019 S I purchased - with the Bowers & Wilkens stereo - I think I have the stereo on most of the time I drive. Not following my own advice! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Apoligzie for getting of topic from orginal post, but I just bought a MY18 with the Harmon Kardon and the bass is shockingly bad. I even asked the service tech if maybe the rear "sub" was not working but it is. I may be interested in upgrading as well if someone does have some info on this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Apoligzie for getting of topic from orginal post, but I just bought a MY18 with the Harmon Kardon and the bass is shockingly bad. I even asked the service tech if maybe the rear "sub" was not working but it is. I may be interested in upgrading as well if someone does have some info on this.
agree on this… I traded in a 2020 Volvo S60 Polestar with the Bowers and Wilkins for this car, and although I get “maseratis aren’t for listening to music,” they should also still be tolerable on the 9-5 work commute when stuck in traffic. It’s an embarrassment to call this the mid-level premium upgrade over the base system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to own a 2014 with the base stereo and, while it was nothing to brag about, it wasn't as bad as some make it out to be.

That being said, I had a rental 2019 S with the base stereo and it was better than the 2014 in my opinion.

I've always said that owners of Ghiblis should be listening to the exhaust note and not the stereo and I stand by that. I must be getting old as in the 2019 S I purchased - with the Bowers & Wilkens stereo - I think I have the stereo on most of the time I drive. Not following my own advice! :)
I have a 2019 S as well. I seem to be most fortuitous when it comes to driving and music whether from XM or traditional FM. The last 3 songs I’ve driven to were “Can’t drive 55”, Pink Cadillac (The Clash) and my personal favourite Deep Purple’s Highway Star. Which absolutely has to be played as loud as possible while driving. Unless you’re sitting in traffic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts