Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's ok. I have the Harmon Kardon upgrade. Definitely doesn't sound like the Bose system in other vehicles I've had, which is a shame because the upgrade cost is significantly more.

·
Registered
2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
22 Posts
I have the “Premium Sound System” in my 2015 and the sound quality is pretty bad.

I must admit that I am a bit of an audiophile, so some people may be ok with it. I previously had an Audi S6 with the Bose audio system and the Maserati is significantly worse. I haven’t heard the Bowers and Wilkins option in the Maserati, but in other cars it sounds great.

Worst case scenario, you can go aftermarket like I did. The audio is the only weak spot on this car.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Premium HK Sound in 2017+ Ghibli's is decent. Premium in 2014-2016 is poor.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I have the Bowers & wilkins (SQ4 2019)
It is not that great just listening on streaming with BT from your phone even with the phone on full volume and the radio goes up to the maximum...however when I plug the phone with the USB cable (android car) the sound changes completely... you have then the best of it

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have the Bowers & wilkins (SQ4 2019)
It is not that great just listening on streaming with BT from your phone even with the phone on full volume and the radio goes up to the maximum...however when I plug the phone with the USB cable (android car) the sound changes completely... you have then the best of it
Funny, I find the opposite in that BT streaming sounds better than hard wire.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not great. The head unit doesn't support lossless audio formats, and overall a very "average" sounding system comparable to those on a "reasonably priced car". The HK system in the Giulia sounds better in comparison.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Not great. The head unit doesn't support lossless audio formats, and overall a very "average" sounding system comparable to those on a "reasonably priced car". The HK system in the Giulia sounds better in comparison.
Completely agree about the average sounding system compared to every other car in it's class. Technology is certainly not a priority for Maserati.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Funny, I find the opposite in that BT streaming sounds better than hard wire.
Not with the Bowers & Wilkins unfortunately
My 1st Ghibli had Harman Kardon, honestly was just barely better than the stock cheapest one, i was not happy at all, and I have the Harman Kardon in my wife's BMW and the sound it is way better
In my second Ghibli (grandsport 2019) I chose the option Bowers & Wilkins as I have it in my Jaguar XJ and it is just a master Piece! once I received my Ghibli, I was directly disappointed, in Radio even with the modules DAB and AHA the sound is clean but you go with the volume to 38 and ... it is not loud at all, then I used the BT for the phone, putting the volume up in the phone it gives an extra boost, but fake, it is like you amplify twice the same signal, the speakers reach a frequency where it is not what I was expecting, then I used the USB cable..and there yes we can see what that Sound system delivers, it is day and night, the sound is loud clean the bass you fell it really good, amazing and with the volume in a range of 28 30 max, shame having that only with that bloody USB cable ( not just for the music on your phone, as soon as you are still connected with Android car (USB) even the radio gives a better sound
Of course, I chose also the Bowers & Wilkins because it gives a better finishing to the car interior, the extra speakers in the doors, and both speakers at the rear window with the bass in the middle etc, it gives a better luxury taste

I had one Ghibli Grandlusso from Maserati they borrow it for 2 days, and even if it is a model one month earlier then mine, what a difference, it is the most standard Ghibli i ever seen, the sound system it is a Harman Kardon, I thought from MY 2016 and MY 2019 they would change it for better, but no, still the same crap, also 1st Maserati I've driven with no paddles shifter what a disaster I am soo used to it any way that is another story

My Aston has a Alpine sound system not fancy quite basic but the sound it is crazy, why they did not do that in the Maserati ?

here my previous ghibli (MY2017) with Harman Kardon - sound was just a little bit better then the cheapest sound system

and here my actual Ghibli with the Bowers Wilkins .. it looks a bit better and the sound it is much much better then the previous ( using the USB )

and my jaguar XJ where the Bowers&wilkins it is just amasing

my Aston with the Alpine sound quite simple but Killer...

and wifes BMW with Harman Kardon - extremely simple but .. what a difference compare to the Ghibli

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
My 1st Ghibli had Harman Kardon, honestly was just barely better than the stock cheapest one, i was not happy at all, and I have the Harman Kardon in my wife's BMW and the sound it is way better
In my second Ghibli (grandsport 2019) I chose the option Bowers & Wilkins as I have it in my Jaguar XJ and it is just a master Piece! once I received my Ghibli, I was directly disappointed, in Radio even with the modules DAB and AHA the sound is clean but you go with the volume to 38 and ... it is not loud at all, then I used the BT for the phone, putting the volume up in the phone it gives an extra boost, but fake, it is like you amplify twice the same signal, the speakers reach a frequency where it is not what I was expecting, then I used the USB cable..and there yes we can see what that Sound system delivers, it is day and night, the sound is loud clean the bass you fell it really good, amazing and with the volume in a range of 28 30 max, shame having that only with that bloody USB cable ( not just for the music on your phone, as soon as you are still connected with Android car (USB) even the radio gives a better sound
Of course, I chose also the Bowers & Wilkins because it gives a better finishing to the car interior, the extra speakers in the doors, and both speakers at the rear window with the bass in the middle etc, it gives a better luxury taste

I had one Ghibli Grandlusso from Maserati they borrow it for 2 days, and even if it is a model one month earlier then mine, what a difference, it is the most standard Ghibli i ever seen, the sound system it is a Harman Kardon, I thought from MY 2016 and MY 2019 they would change it for better, but no, still the same crap, also 1st Maserati I've driven with no paddles shifter what a disaster I am soo used to it any way that is another story

My Aston has a Alpine sound system not fancy quite basic but the sound it is crazy, why they did not do that in the Maserati ?
Nice collection of Cars with detailed pictures!!! Sadly, I think Maserati figured you were going to listen to the exhaust sound not the radio.
Sadly my Ghibli SQ4 with "premium" is the worst sounding system of all my cars ... my wife's BMW with higher end HK, even an older Jag XK-R with B&W and my SUV which is like a concert hall using a Bose Performance system (15-speakers). On the positive, the Ghibli is more fun to drive ... the XK-R is close second.

·
Registered
447 Posts

here my previous ghibli (MY2017) with Harman Kardon - sound was just a little bit better then the cheapest sound system
View attachment 20767

and here my actual Ghibli with the Bowers Wilkins .. it looks a bit better and the sound it is much much better then the previous ( using the USB )
View attachment 20768

and my jaguar XJ where the Bowers&wilkins it is just amasing
View attachment 20769

my Aston with the Alpine sound quite simple but Killer...
View attachment 20770

and wifes BMW with Harman Kardon - extremely simple but .. what a difference compare to the Ghibli

View attachment 20772
I would agree that overall the audio system in any flavor leaves a lot to be desired for the class of car. My DSP system in my 2003 E39 sounds better. The Bose system in my Infiniti QX60 simply is the best system I have ever had. Make my ears bleed and the SW is incredible. What I think is wrong with the Ghibli systems is the center dash speaker. It just takes away from the highs and lows. I am going to turn it down even more than I already have, maybe that will help. I was going to do some aftermarket upgrades, but I probably won't have this car past November 2022 when the warranty is up. The exhaust definitely compromises the audio quality.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the “Premium Sound System” in my 2015 and the sound quality is pretty bad.

I must admit that I am a bit of an audiophile, so some people may be ok with it. I previously had an Audi S6 with the Bose audio system and the Maserati is significantly worse. I haven’t heard the Bowers and Wilkins option in the Maserati, but in other cars it sounds great.

Worst case scenario, you can go aftermarket like I did. The audio is the only weak spot on this car.
I also have a 15 with the $1500 premium audio option (what a joke). It’s sounds absolutely horrible. Curious what you did to upgrade. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
22 Posts
I also have a 15 with the $1500 premium audio option (what a joke). It’s sounds absolutely horrible. Curious what you did to upgrade. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a professional installer replace all of the speakers (Focal K2 components for the fronts, and Focal Flax coaxial speakers for the rear doors). The Amps are JL Audio VXi series (75 watts x 6 for mai channels and 600 watts x 1 for the sub). The factory sub was removed and a JL Audio box with 2 TW1 10inch subs was installed in the trunk. The sound is able to pass through the resulting opening and trunk and doors were sound-proofed with Dynamat.

They were able to connect the amps to the factory Maserati system via optical cables. The amps have built in DSP (with equalization and time alignment) to dial in the sound. The front components were no-amped, using separate channels for the tweeters and midrange/woofers.

Finally, I had the Joyeauto wireless CarPlay system installed. This really helped since I was having serious Bluetooth connection issues with the MTC.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had a professional installer replace all of the speakers (Focal K2 components for the fronts, and Focal Flax coaxial speakers for the rear doors). The Amps are JL Audio VXi series (75 watts x 6 for mai channels and 600 watts x 1 for the sub). The factory sub was removed and a JL Audio box with 2 TW1 10inch subs was installed in the trunk. The sound is able to pass through the resulting opening and trunk and doors were sound-proofed with Dynamat.

They were able to connect the amps to the factory Maserati system via optical cables. The amps have built in DSP (with equalization and time alignment) to dial in the sound. The front components were no-amped, using separate channels for the tweeters and midrange/woofers.

Finally, I had the Joyeauto wireless CarPlay system installed. This really helped since I was having serious Bluetooth connection issues with the MTC.
Price tag?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts