Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many others on this forum, I too was not happy with the Premium sound system, so I am in the progress of upgrading.

Here is the replacement.
- Audison AP8.9bit (their new product which is like a BitOne with built-in Amps)
- Focal UtopiaBe Kit No6 Active
- Saec SUPRA Linc 2.5 cables

My audio guy's comment was that the speakers themselves weren't that bad - had metal frames versus plastic (which even some high-end systems use). Since this combination especially with the Ghibli was a first in Japan, the local distributor for Audison and Focal came and took a look. Just looking at the system, they felt the subwoofer was pretty bad. Unfortunately given the oval shape, there weren't any natural fits, and to retrofit with multiple smaller subs (e.g. 2x13cm subs) would need additional enclosures built, which I wasn't quite ready to do.

I did read posts that the EQ was all over the place, so chose the AP8.9bit which is Audison's new product that also has a built in amp, but the amp is only 35w x 8 channels so could be too small. Won't know how this works until it is fully setup - which should happen in the next week or so.

I also chose a 2-way for ease of tuning - and also wouldn't have to touch the trims. Interestingly if you look at the back of the door trim you can see an extra housing in the middle for a 3-way probably for the B&W system and isn't used in the Premium.

The door itself was a bit flimsy given the Aluminum composition so was enhanced as well.

Too bad I can't show off the Beryllium Dome of the Focals!

Will post once I get my car back.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks WAKA for the update and pictures. Would you be able to get information from your audio guy how to dismantle the door?

And how to access the tweeter area as well?

By the way, has your audio guy decided how to connect to the audison? Whether from the amp or directly from the headunit? Would be great if you are able to provide details of the install.

kim

·
Registered
112 Posts
Looking to order car, and thought I'd go with basic audio setup and upgrade after.

Like you thinking of 2-way front speaker and rear shelf speaker change,amplified, and perhaps Audison bit1(if budget allows).

What size is the rear oval speaker? Can a straight swap high end replacement be found,or what will you be replacing it with?

Perhaps the boot will give a smaller oval speaker (rather than sub)more bass as it has a greater area to resonate? So as Long as speaker is good quality and setup well, it may perform very nicely?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
>>Ksquare

I don't have the details beyond, "it's actually quite complicated"
Also the AP8.9bit will connect from the factory amp, not directly from the head-unit.

>>ghiblimusic

Don't know what size it is, but my audio guy mentioned that US manufacturers like Rockford may have oval speakers that will fit, but the character would be different from the Focals, so isn't recommended.
I did ask whether a smaller sub would work, but they mentioned that the boot would be too large as an enclosure, and would need to build one for optimal performance.

·
Registered
112 Posts
How is the sound with the 2 way setup?
Are you happy with bass from door in terms of control/definition?

I may do something similar but perhaps with medium cost speaker like Audison voce or Focal K2 (although I had K2 before and found the top end a bit bright)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I got my car back from my audio guy this weekend.

In a nutshell, I am satisfied albeit settings are not perfect yet.

Details below:
------

The initial setup:
Front tweeter and mid as well as rear mids connected via individual channels (35w x 6).
Subwoofer connected via bridge (130w)

Results
Way better quality than factory premium setup. Bass was stronger than my preference so adjusted using AP bit application connected via USB (see pics).
Factory subwoofer was better than expected, but character was different from Focals so would want to change in future.
Mid to Bass was a little weak, so I asked them to re-modify settings.

Re-modified settings
Due to the relatively weak mid-low, I asked them to connect the UtopiaBe Mids via bridge to increase from 35w to 130w. They did ask the distributor about any potential noise caused by the bridge connection, but the response was no noticeable noise, so full speed ahead.

Results
The increase was huge. More powerful mid-bass giving a more "thick" sound but still retaining clearness. The Beryllium domes on the Utopia can handle a lot of power!
Since we ran out of time, he didn't have time to realign all the settings (only had 30minutes versus wanting a full day), so will bring back to the shop when I get the time, and also with some ageing done on the speakers.

There is a drawback. Since the bridge connection used up all the channels with just the front and the sub, the rear speakers no longer are used. From an audio perspective, that isn't really an issue (my family sitting in the back don't really care anyways), but the parking sensor sounds are linked with each speaker, so I no longer have the beeping sound coming from the rear.
I still get the console image as well as from the rear camera, but it is still a loss. I do rely on it frequently given the tight streets and parking in Tokyo, but something I can live with.

I'll probably update later when the speakers are aged and I'm more satisfied with the settings.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a nice setup! Looking to do the same things, did your installer mention where the factory amp was located or a wiring code for the speakers?

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have to do something because the audio that comes in the base unit is horrible. I'd love to see if I can even just replace the speakers with some aftermarket ones. Don't need a sub or anything like that.

What are the sizes and speakers that need to be replaced in the base models?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts