Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My settings are set to auto but the screen never switches to night mode when it's dark outside. It's really bright when driving at night and I have to put it on night mode manually. Has anyone had this issue?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have noticed this also. Was going to comment to my dealer and/or the forum but decided it really wasn't worth the effort. If necessary, I dim the screen at night using the interior illumination scroll wheel.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have noticed this also. Was going to comment to my dealer and/or the forum but decided it really wasn't worth the effort. If necessary, I dim the screen at night using the interior illumination scroll wheel.
I think I have figured this out a bit. Still not perfect but the scroll wheel is the key and it is not obvious. If the dimmer scroll wheel is all the way up then the lights are always full in bright and the dome light is always on. Even when the car is turned off which I think is a bit silly. If you click the wheel down one stop it appears that the lights are not always on but they are always full bright - day or night. If you click it down further from there then the auto bright feature works. At night it goes with the brightness settings of the off the display option in the menus for night and during the day it goes with the setting for day. One wrinkle that i do not like is that it goes to the night setting if the headlights are on for any reason - e.g. if you have the lights on when it is raining it goes to night mode which makes the screen hard to read. So maybe I am still missing something?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Cfelbab - this was my experience, as well. I decided to keep the scroll wheel at the "down one stop, always full bright" level as the illumination is bearable most of the time. If I happen to be driving at night and want to tone it down, I drop the scroll wheel one extra click.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Cfelbab - this was my experience, as well. I decided to keep the scroll wheel at the "down one stop, always full bright" level as the illumination is bearable most of the time. If I happen to be driving at night and want to tone it down, I drop the scroll wheel one extra click.

It should work automatically and dim

Check with your dealer about this.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Agree! If it's supposed to auto-dim when it gets dark, it should auto-dim. Mine doesn't either. I have to manually dim it. Will have the dealer look at this next time I have a better excuse to bug them. Be sure to reply to Anderson's "work-book" spreadsheet for Ghibli problems that he is submitting to Maserati!

·
Registered
312 Posts
One click down is correct for auto-dim.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I noticed this issue as well. With the scroll wheel at the very top, dome light is on and that's just silly. One click down, screen never changes to night function. Two clicks down and everything included the gauges seems just a bit too dull for me. Oh well, I guess I will just have to keep clicking manually from day to night mode!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I recently spoke to my dealer about this, and worked with the tech to figure out what was going on. (My gauges/screens do not auto dim with the scroll wheel positioned immediately below having the dome light on.)

What we determined is that auto dim only works when you manually operate the headlights. Headlights off = full brightness, headlights on = auto-dimming at night. With the headlights set at auto, the auto-dimming does not work.

Not sure if this is the intent (or what others are experiencing) but seeing as how the interior auto dimming did function when the headlights were not on auto, I assume it was designed this way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Auto dim lights

It works for me when the lights are set to auto but it was not responding quickly enough. The lights would not dim quickly when on coming cars approach, etc.

The is a sensor in the back of the mirror and my toll pass blocking it.

Just something to check

·
Registered
216 Posts
I does dim when in the adjustable modus. But it does not dim correctly.
When the exterior lights for driving are on and the sun is shining bright, the dash & MTC is not bright enough.

·
Registered
118 Posts
There seems to be a lot of different scenarios that work for some owners and not others. Has anyone worked out what the correct procedure should be?
I think we can safely say how the left dial works, top click interior light always on, first click interior light goes off but dash stays bright no matter what the headlights are doing, second click, dash lights dim when headlight are on.
My problem is that the second dial doesn't appear to do anything and the second click option, the dash light is too dull.
I've raised it with my dealer and they haven't said anything about the headlights must be set to on not Auto and suggested that they may be a problem with my dimmer?
I'll go out now and see if putting my headlights On does the dash light dimmer start to work.

David

·
Registered
118 Posts
Right I've just been out to check my car again. When I put my headlights to On, the left hand dial after the second click becomes a dimmer switch which I have set to it's brightest dimmer setting. When you switch headlights to Auto then this feature is disabled. For me, it's not bright enough.
I still can't make the right hand dial do anything noticeable? I wonder if it has anything to do with how/ when the Auto lights come on when it's light?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Right I've just been out to check my car again. When I put my headlights to On, the left hand dial after the second click becomes a dimmer switch which I have set to it's brightest dimmer setting. When you switch headlights to Auto then this feature is disabled. For me, it's not bright enough.
I still can't make the right hand dial do anything noticeable? I wonder if it has anything to do with how/ when the Auto lights come on when it's light?
The right dial controls the ambient lighting in the foot wells and around the door handles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I spent the time yesterday and read through the DVD manual in the car (which is particularly bad to navigate). Anyway, according to this manual it says that the right hand dial controls the headlight beam height (even though they are Bi-exons).
I will double check the footwells and door handles as last time, moving the dial did alter anything. I will try it with the headlights switched on as opposed to an Auto.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It depends:
Cars without auto height adjustment: the right dial will adjust height
Cars with auto height adjustment: the right dial will adjust the lighting of the foot space and door opener.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Superdave, were you able to verify that when the headlights are on auto the dim feature is disabled? I've had my car a week and this has puzzled me the entire time.

Reading through this thread (which I only found through a generic google search - and did not come up when I searched using the forum's search and the exact title of this thread) I think I understand things a little better but would be very disappointed if I can not leave the headlights on auto and get them to dim. Of course, I will just hit the sport button to take away some of that disappointment.

Also, on my S which I believe has AFS lighting, the dial to the right controls lighting levels for things like the around the door handles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts