Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Is it just me, or is the quality of the back-up camera is average?

I notice:
1. During day-light, the span of view is limited...very narrow and can't see beyond straight (vs. right and left hidden views)
2. At night, a lot of pixels/noise. Can hardly make anything out when it's raining.
3. Not as "sharp" as it can be. Somewhat out of focus/fuzzy.

Would love feedback on this one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
im not crazy about the camera at all, i think my friends ford escape and infiniti q50 has a much better camera.
the imagine almost looks grainy and not sharp...

·
Registered
172 Posts
do you guys believe it's a screen issue or camera issue? I am just wondering if replacing the camera with a better one will fix the issue

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's the camera. The screen has sufficient resolution. My Fusion had a much wider, higher resolution, camera. It's probably just a matter of swapping in a wider-field, higher-resolution camera, but... I'm not sure how the software will react to the extra resolution. It may just continue to run in the lower resolution mode.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Every camera will give you more pixelation at night in low light as the software strains to give you an image. Don't know if the camera is better or worse than average but it seems a little better than the one on our Mercedes. Also, wipe the camera lens on the back of the car every once in a while, especially after nasty weather with a tissue or similar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have taken my SQ4 to maserati atleast twice for the camera going purple at night when backing. I even took video of this on my cell phone to show the service advisor. I was given the car back and told they could not replicate the issue. The camera still does this on occassion... frustrating, embarressing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think the camera is excellent as far as what it shows you and the guidelines. Sure the resolution could be higher but that doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's the camera.. and it's very low res. The backup lines are also completely useless. They dont' actually line up to where the car will end up. Kinda defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The camera is at fault as it is a low resolution camera. I have been looking for a replacement at higher resolution but have not found one yet.

As far as the lines are concerned, the back up lines actually line up with the rear wheels not the rear width of the car. Just make sure you take the overall width of the car into account when backing up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Originally Posted by miamibomberoI have taken my SQ4 to maserati atleast twice for the camera going purple at night when backing. I even took video of this on my cell phone to show the service advisor. I was given the car back and told they could not replicate the issue. The camera still does this on occassion... frustrating, embarressing.
Hi miamibombero,

My name is Howie, I'm from MaeratiCares - MNA's official online customer service agent.

I recommend you take it to their service department again. Could you kindly send me a PM with your VIN or the name of your dealer?

Thanks,

Howie - MaseratiCares

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wish there was a, way to turn it on when I'm not backing up. :)
(like for safety at a red light in a bad neighborhood)

I wish the car had more cameras which could run when I'm not in the car and record who come near it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
FYI, it is a camera and in low light it will get very noisy (grainy) like any cheap camera, those sensors are small and can only handle certain amount of light coming thru. (Like a phone camera )
The only light source in pitch black you ll get is your rear back up lights. So Try in a garage to put light on then Light off.. and look at differents.. Also wipe the camera lens, of course with a soft rag.
Sorry I know for some of you it is obvious, but I m just adding some info to it. :D ..yeah my 2 cents..lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
I prefer how BMW implemented their backup camera with ACTIVE guide lines that move based on the position of your steering wheel. Other than that, I really don't mind the quality of the image.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone noticed if their camera has readjusted it self perhaps due to too much bass ( i have a 12" sub in the trunk)... Almost the bottom inch and half of screen is my license plate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts