Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pulled the trigger last week and ordered a base ghibli with almost every available option..

But now I'm starting to have second thoughts, should I have gone with the S model?

Before placing my order I asked myself if I was buying this car for racing purposes, and the answer was no.. But I think it's nice to have a car that is "fast enough" to fullfill your need for speed.

The thing that made me have second thoughts is that my dealer didn't tell me that many things that I have ordered came as standard with the S model, yet, many other things are still optional.

For the owners of the base ghibli, do do you feel that your car is fast enough? How fast is it compared let's say to a porsche cayman or cayman S ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got S model not just for speed but mostly to have AWD. I live in NJ and we do have true winter here. Since it is not only toy for me but everyday car, it was important for me to have that option. I do have M3 and it doesn't do well in the winter.

FoxBeat

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply FoxBeat, I live in Kuwait and the AWD is not available in my country as it's not needed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi surgeon
I almost ordered the base till I did a comparison of price and features
My conclusion was that the sq4 is the better value for the features
If budget is a constraint base is fine....although the exhaust note is less pronounced
And the ride is a bit underwhelming
You only live once and if you want the experience....cancel the base and go for sq4
You will not regret it
It's a different animal
Cheers

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi Surgeon,
I originally ordered the base version but after a test drive in both I moved up to the S.
I live in the UK, the 4WD version is (sadly) not available here otherwise I would have definitely gone for that.
Some of the extra bits I'd ordered on the base Ghibli came as standard on the S, the performance issue was a big one for me (coming from a C63 Mercedes) and their is quite a big difference in the performance of the two models.
Just my opinion of course ?
Rest assured, which ever you go for, you have a great machine !!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hi surgeon,

I would probably go for the S model but if speed is the only concern you could always get a ECU tune later. The S model is head to head with the CarreraS so I would assume the base model would be close to a cayman in speed.
Either way congrats on buy.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I too went for the S because a review of the differences made the price/benefit decision a no brainer.....IMO.....if you are just comparing speed it is a matter of choice.....i am sure the base will provide enough power i just came off a 300 hp engine which was more than adequate.........but faster is always better for me and snapping your head back when you step on the gas is awesome.......and a note about AWD it is not just for snow as the AWD is dynamic shifting torque to the front or back as needed which improves overall handling significantly and therefore is not just for snow...........they should offer it everywhere and market it on it s performance features............good luck

·
Registered
305 Posts
The reason they gave for no 4WD in the UK was that it is a right hand drive country, I understand Kuwait is a left hand drive country so there is no logic in not selling the SQ4 there. To answer the original question my Ghibli is plenty fast enough for me and it is only the diesel.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've ordered the base ghibli since its surely fast enouf, in Belgium we have 4 versions:

Diesel, Base , S and SQ4

For me the only decision that I had to make was between the base or SQ4 , i've taken the base because of the big price difference and its still the same motorization. In my country there aren't much options included in the S version so that made my decision easy.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have a SQ4. For the extra HP, AWD, the bigger brake, the sports exhaust (this one I am not sure if it is also standard on the base), and the Q4 logo on the back. It is worth the extra $10K dollars.

Since you are getting the S model, I imagine it will be a little less than the SQ4. For the same price, I would definitely get the less optioned S model. I found myself not using a lot of the functions with all the cars I get anyway.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a SQ4. For the extra HP, AWD, the bigger brake, the sports exhaust (this one I am not sure if it is also standard on the base), and the Q4 logo on the back. It is worth the extra $10K dollars.

Since you are getting the S model, I imagine it will be a little less than the SQ4. For the same price, I would definitely get the less optioned S model. I found myself not using a lot of the functions with all the cars I get anyway.
Hm I don't get it or you choose the base, or the SQ4, but the S should not be an option since you don't have the AWD and this is the biggest difference thats worth its price... the bigger brakes... indeed on the S you got bigger brakes but thats only because of the higher top-speed what you normally never reach if you don't run on track, if you run on low speed the brake distance with a 4 piston brake is the same with the 6 piston. Sport exhaust and motor sound is same on all gasoline versions.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You also get a sunroof and a number of other amenities with the SQ4 There are threads comparing the differences. Not sure the changes for 15.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hm I don't get it or you choose the base, or the SQ4, but the S should not be an option since you don't have the AWD and this is the biggest difference thats worth its price... the bigger brakes... indeed on the S you got bigger brakes but thats only because of the higher top-speed what you normally never reach if you don't run on track, if you run on low speed the brake distance with a 4 piston brake is the same with the 6 piston. Sport exhaust and motor sound is same on all gasoline versions.
Not really. If you're driving on the highway at 65mph and have to slam on the brakes the 6 pistons will stop some feet before the 4 pistons. Regardless they are both phenomenal brakes. But I agree the biggest difference worth the price is the AWD and the extra 70hp.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Not really. If you're driving on the highway at 65mph and have to slam on the brakes the 6 pistons will stop some feet before the 4 pistons. Regardless they are both phenomenal brakes. But I agree the biggest difference worth the price is the AWD and the extra 70hp.
And the Q4 logo on the back!!!! :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
I drove both before making my decision. I did not see any reason to pay for the extra horsepower. My trade in was a 911 Turbo and my wife drives a Cayenne Turbo. Sport mode and Manual shift with paddles (a must), were sufficient.

Reactions: Schnippy

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Here in the NE AWD provides a longer driving season for us :)- something you don't have to worry about in Sarasota :D

Reactions: ssipes and tjsbeer

·
Registered
666 Posts
I drove both before making my decision. I did not see any reason to pay for the extra horsepower. My trade in was a 911 Turbo and my wife drives a Cayenne Turbo. Sport mode and Manual shift with paddles (a must), were sufficient.
Fully loaded Base or lightly equipped S.
I actually had the same situation a couple of times and ended up picking the higher model. Years ago, it was either a Mercedes C300 or C350. Last year, I picked the 911S over Base 911. This year, I picked the SQ4 (even though I ended up with a pretty nicely equipped one).
The guy mentioned he will be paying about the same price I guess it depends on what he really needs/wants. Speed or Comfort/Convenience.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You also get a sunroof and a number of other amenities with the SQ4 There are threads comparing the differences. Not sure the changes for 15.
Remember options and extras included in models are market specific and what applies in the USA does not necessarily also apply in Europe or the Middle East. So without knowing the Kuwait market specs one can only make general observations.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts