Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Basic audio upgrade recommendation for base / premium system -- ~ $1600 installed

Long story short, I took delivery of an SQ4 this past Saturday and needless to say, the sound needs some work. OK... a lot of work. The exhaust sound (of course) is AWESOME, it's the stereo I'm taking about. I have to laugh at what all of those poor 535i/E350/A6/XF/GS/A7/CLS drivers are missing.

I met with an installer today who is going to take me to listen to a customer's car he recently upgraded this weekend. He's done 3 Ghiblis so far.

Note: I am not an audiophile / audio professional or play one on TV and have half-deaf 42 year old tin ears. That said, I do know a good stereo when I hear it vs a poor one. I also know nothing about audio system tech so please forgive me if I get any of the terminology wrong.

In short, these are his recommendations:

1. Keep factory speakers. He said the main thing the car is missing is bass. The speakers are fine for 90% of people out there. That's me.
2. install free air sub in open port at the back of the car. He has some sort of 8" custom unit that looked like a piece of industrial design magic. He showed me the factory "oval" sub and it looked sad. Very sad.
3. Audio Control Unit. I believe he recommended the AudioControl LC8i but I had a difficult time paying attention because I needed lunch and to get back to work.
4. 1500 watt Kenwood amp. 8, 10, 20 channels.. no idea.
5. Custom subwoofer mount, dynamat, cables, install etc. He said he needed a day and a half to do the install work.

BTW, He was very confused when he first went into the car to poke around, he thought it was a Quattroporte!

Wish me luck!

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Exciting!!!!!! I can't wait to get my stereo upgraded. Let me know how you like it. I'm in LA too!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you.. since you asked, Here is Di-Ghibli! I have no idea how I will keep this thing clean.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome sizquik. She looks beautiful. I can tell you are in love- you even took a picture of the exhaust tip. Super.[/QUOT

Busted. It's really a beautiful car. I can't wait finally sell my 997. Great weekend car and awesome if it could stretch it's legs but a terribly daily. I couldn't even get my wife to ride in it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If upgrade works at that price I'll come into LA to get it done. I'll use visit to grand kids as excuse. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@sizquik- can you let me know if you have installed the sound system? If so, do you like it, where and how much?

Steve
Hi Steve,
I have not installed the system yet.. not really high priority and will get around to it when I can. Don't wait for me!

The name of the shop is Audio 2000.
Address: 11567 W Olympic Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90025
Phone: (310) 444-0966

Audio 2000 Installations for mobile electronics and home entertainment | AA TECH DESIGN | - Home

·
Registered
54 Posts
@sizquik- Thanks for the info. Distinctive auto mentioned that all I need to install is a subwoofer.. he recommended Bazooka. For $500 he said that it will sound good!

I most likely get the tune from Westlake before I spend for the audio!

Steve

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have read many posts by audiophiles with sophisticated and quite expansive audio equipment upgrades. However on the lease car, I am not inclined to spent that kind on money on it.
Aside from the poor quality of sound, the main element lacking is the low frequency base sound. So at the risk of sounding naive, I am thinking of just adding a mono-block single channel amplifier to the sub-woofer to the Premium Sound System and increase the base output. You think it can work? Any comment would be appreciated. I just want a listenable sounding system that's better than the factory unit.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
397 Posts
when you guys say "base" you mean "Bass" ?
I'm getting confused with the bass of the base audio...lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've heard from my local dealer that Maserati is going to provide a "fix" for the lack of bass. From what my dealer said, it's a software fix. Are other Ghibli owner hearing the same thing from their dealers?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've heard from my local dealer that Maserati is going to provide a "fix" for the lack of bass. From what my dealer said, it's a software fix. Are other Ghibli owner hearing the same thing from their dealers?
It s what I ve heard as well... After all the "testing" I did with the audio ( not talking about the rattling) It seems like the sub isnt getting enough power. I tried at different volumes and EQ ..and it doesn t seem that the Bass EQ is affecting anything ( or barely) when turned all the way up ( leaving the rest flat). Like I said beside those paper cone quality speakers, I could deal with those if at least the sound was well balanced..( most of the bass comes from front door speakers ) I have a decent ear, and it annoys the [email protected]#%!! out of me each time I put music on.

I just emailed my dealer ( NJ / NY) and said is going to talk to the service manager to see if he knows anything / or has a fix.

To be continued...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts