Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 15 Ghibli won't start after only 6 days parking. It was towed to the dealer and the battery got charged. The thing is the dealer quote me 390+ for installing a battery tender. I saw people on the this Forum getting a CETK battery charger, so I bought ctek3300 on Amazon and found it confused to install. Do I have to own a garage where I could plug the charger into the wall? What if I park it at the airport during vacation. Also, does anyone have a picture how the tender was installed on your Ghibli? Thanks a lot

·
Registered
293 Posts
A battery tender does need to be plugged into the wall. Your battery shouldn't die so fast though. It may soon be time for a new battery.

Ron

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with Dr. Ron. Your battery may need replacement. With My 2017 SQ4 I have left it parked in my garage without needing a recharge three different times. Twice for 14 days and a third time for 15 days. Each time my Ghibli started right up. I realize I live in a warmer environment than others and that helps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A solar trickle charger is probably what you need but try and buy a decent output one.
During the time when your car battery was flat on your 6 day vacation, did you do short trips beforehand?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A solar trickle charger is probably what you need but try and buy a decent output one.
During the time when your car battery was flat on your 6 day vacation, did you do short trips beforehand?
The airport is like 60 miles away from where I live. I drove there and left the car in the airport valet parking lot.A solar trickle charger? what if it rains.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with Dr. Ron. Your battery may need replacement. With My 2017 SQ4 I have left it parked in my garage without needing a recharge three different times. Twice for 14 days and a third time for 15 days. Each time my Ghibli started right up. I realize I live in a warmer environment than others and that helps.
A battery tender does need to be plugged into the wall. Your battery shouldn't die so fast though. It may soon be time for a new battery.

Ron
My 15 Ghibli is still under warranty. Will the replacement of battery be no cost? Or it is not under warranty. I've actually mentioned that to the dealer if I need to replace my battery with a newer one and he said "it would not help. A battery tender is what you need which is 300+ including labor"

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
The battery is covered under warranty if you have at least 6000 miles/year (I recall) and dealer measures it's defective.
I replaced mine out of pocket because I wanted the new AGM version which is better than the standard batteries included in the 2014-2015. It was weak even though dealer measured 100% capacity.

The battery tender is not that expensive ... you can buy the same unit without the Maserati logo and install yourself for less than $100.

I had the dealer install mine when car was delivered ... it was less than $200 for tender and installation.

There is a thread on this forum for the battery tender with installation pictures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The battery is covered under warranty if you have at least 6000 miles/year (I recall) and dealer measures it's defective.
I replaced mine out of pocket because I wanted the new AGM version which is better than the standard batteries included in the 2014-2015. It was weak even though dealer measured 100% capacity.

The battery tender is not that expensive ... you can buy the same unit without the Maserati logo and install yourself for less than $100.

I had the dealer install mine when car was delivered ... it was less than $200 for tender and installation.

There is a thread on this forum for the battery tender with installation pictures.
How is the AGM battery work? The battery tender will not work for people who do not have a garage available. I would like to replace mine with an AGM version if the battery could support the car sitting there for few months without driving.

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
Sealed Absorbed Glass Mat are the newer generation of batteries which have lower internal resistance, deliver high currents versus the older style and reported to have a long service life. They also claim to have longer cycles between charging.

Best to check with the Ghibli folks that have the MY16 or newer with factory AGM battery and see how long they push the downtime.

Asking for 2 months of no usage cycling is a lot depending on external conditions ... one month might be best case.

Because I can in my garage, I tend to plug it in if the car will be sitting for 2-weeks or longer. I've left other new cars with AGM batteries sit in summer for 1 month with no issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a ctek tender i keep my masarati outside. I have an agm battery i connected last night I leave for weeks without driving any tips I close my trunk fully and can I use an extension cord all tips are welcome thanx

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
I have a ctek tender i keep my masarati outside. I have an agm battery i connected last night I leave for weeks without driving any tips I close my trunk fully and can I use an extension cord all tips are welcome thanx
Not sure how far your car is from the outlet. Some folks have backed their car close to the garage so the thinner cables can be closed under the trunk and Ctek is inside or in a protected area near/under car. I don't see a problem with using an extension cord for cars parked outside.
Since your car is outside you need to be mindful the Ctek unit itself is somewhat protected from elements. All CTEK battery chargers are approved for outdoor use (IP65 and IP44), but I'm extra cautious to provide additional protection). Also need to make sure the extension connection is protected from getting wet / outdoor rated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you for your response you always give very good information regarding Maserati. I did exactly what you said in this post. I even have a towel under my cord so I do not scratch the paint.

I have another question should I put the ctek charger on regular car mode or agm mode or can I set it to be on car mode and agm mode at the same time since I have an agm battery?

Thanks again I appreciate your help.

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
Thank you for your response you always give very good information regarding Maserati. I did exactly what you said in this post. I even have a towel under my cord so I do not scratch the paint.

I have another question should I put the ctek charger on regular car mode or agm mode or can I set it to be on car mode and agm mode at the same time since I have an agm battery?

Thanks again I appreciate your help.
You can use the regular car mode. Some permit you to use car and AGM mode. The AGM has different cycling. I have an AGM battery and use the standard mode without issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts