Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I have a 2015 SQ4 that has been garaged for over a year with limited use (less than 500 miles over the past 1 year) that is constantly on a battery tender when it is garaged.

Yesterday when I went to take the car for a drive, I saw that the battery tender was at #3 (bulk). I silll took the car for a very short errand (10 miles) and everything was fine. Came back and connected the tender with the snow option as the temperature has been very low here on the north east for the past week or so. I checked this morning and saw that the battery was fully charged and the green light was on. So I thought evrything was fine.

As I has to run an errand this evening, I tried to start the car but it wouldn't start although the CTEK tender shows the fully charged green battery light. The lights including the panel all seem to work. Is it time for a new battery?

The car is in its 2nd battery in the last 2 years. The first one died just before the end of the warranty.

Any idea as to what is possibly the issue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello:

I have a 2015 SQ4 that has been garaged for over a year with limited use (less than 500 miles over the past 1 year) that is constantly on a battery tender when it is garaged.

Yesterday when I went to take the car for a drive, I saw that the battery tender was at #3 (bulk). I silll took the car for a very short errand (10 miles) and everything was fine. Came back and connected the tender with the snow option as the temperature has been very low here on the north east for the past week or so. I checked this morning and saw that the battery was fully charged and the green light was on. So I thought evrything was fine.

As I has to run an errand this evening, I tried to start the car but it wouldn't start although the CTEK tender shows the fully charged green battery light. The lights including the panel all seem to work. Is it time for a new battery?

The car is in its 2nd battery in the last 2 years. The first one died just before the end of the warranty.

Any idea as to what is possibly the issue?

Thanks.
From experience the Ghiblis eat batteries. We have a 2015 that's on its 3rd battery and we live in southern California. We drive our vehicle fairly often with the longest time parked being about a month.. without a tender the battery died.
The last battery would randomly work, we even had it tested and was told it was still good. But after the car had been parked for about a week it was completely dead.
And to jump start a dead ghibli is a pain, either have to use two jumper packs one front and one on the actual battery in the trunk or leave jumper cables hooked up for 30 minutes or so.
I'm looking at Antigravity lithium battery but can't commit to the price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From experience the Ghiblis eat batteries. We have a 2015 that's on its 3rd battery and we live in southern California. We drive our vehicle fairly often with the longest time parked being about a month.. without a tender the battery died.
The last battery would randomly work, we even had it tested and was told it was still good. But after the car had been parked for about a week it was completely dead.
And to jump start a dead ghibli is a pain, either have to use two jumper packs one front and one on the actual battery in the trunk or leave jumper cables hooked up for 30 minutes or so.
I'm looking at Antigravity lithium battery but can't commit to the price.
Thanks Keith. Agree, these beauties seem to take up so much battery charge. Such a shame. But for this nuisance and the cost, they are great vehicles to drive.

So did you end up with a OEM battery? AGM H8 I think or something else. By the way, I just looked up the Anti gravity lithium batteries and they are expensive! What would be the advantage?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Keith. Agree, these beauties seem to take up so much battery charge. Such a shame. But for this nuisance and the cost, they are great vehicles to drive.

So did you end up with a OEM battery? AGM H8 I think or something else. By the way, I just looked up the Anti gravity lithium batteries and they are expensive! What would be the advantage?

Thanks again.
I ended up having the dealer put a factory battery in. Cost was like $600 installed! Interstate has them for $300
But the car is still under factory warranty and the dealer told me when the battery goes bad it can set low voltage codes that we can't see..like no check engine light but will cause random lights to come on like the power steering light..weird but it's a low voltage thing.
The advantage of the Antigravity lithium is that they only discharge .5 percent per month..I think agm or lead discharge like 3% per month. Plus the Antigravity comes with a remote that in the event the battery gets discharged it has a partition so you won't ever be stranded. Gotta remember..agm batteries aren't meant to be discharged and then recharged.. at least not the way the Ghiblis discharge them..it ruins the battery. The lithium on the other hand is meant to be discharged and with the Ghiblis being power hungry even when parked the lithium is the way to go. Oh and the lithium only weighs 25 pounds or so compared to the 75 pounds for the agm.
I probably should have just gone with the Antigravity but the car was dead in the water and I didn't wanna wait to order a lithium. Black friday Antigravity runs a 30 percent off.. maybe next year I'll grab one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up having the dealer put a factory battery in. Cost was like $600 installed! Interstate has them for $300
But the car is still under factory warranty and the dealer told me when the battery goes bad it can set low voltage codes that we can't see..like no check engine light but will cause random lights to come on like the power steering light..weird but it's a low voltage thing.
The advantage of the Antigravity lithium is that they only discharge .5 percent per month..I think agm or lead discharge like 3% per month. Plus the Antigravity comes with a remote that in the event the battery gets discharged it has a partition so you won't ever be stranded. Gotta remember..agm batteries aren't meant to be discharged and then recharged.. at least not the way the Ghiblis discharge them..it ruins the battery. The lithium on the other hand is meant to be discharged and with the Ghiblis being power hungry even when parked the lithium is the way to go. Oh and the lithium only weighs 25 pounds or so compared to the 75 pounds for the agm.
I probably should have just gone with the Antigravity but the car was dead in the water and I didn't wanna wait to order a lithium. Black friday Antigravity runs a 30 percent off.. maybe next year I'll grab one.
Thanks Keith. I called my dealer and they quoted me $850 for the battery and $185 for labor charge. A rip off! They are busy till next Saturday. So I will let the battery tender connected till then.

Unfortunately, I don't have any choice even though I am going to call some luxury car mechanic shops near me. The antigravity battery sounds like the way to go. It packs quite a punch and it is so light weight too compared to the AGMs. I like the remote start option. I may look into ordering one if the dealer will install it. Not sure if they might do it since I am buying it elsewhere. Anyways, appreciate the help. Happy New Year!

·
Administrator
2,390 Posts
That's insane cost for the battery at the dealer. My local Maserati dealer put in the Interstate AGM for around $425. The original battery tested strong at dealer, but car electronics indicated otherwise. Changed out and that solved the electronic issues. I do use the battery tender when not driving for over 2 weeks. The first battery in the 2014 and 2015 were pretty bad. I got around 3.5 years out of first one and going on 3+ years with the AGM. Next time, I'm buying direct from Interstate if the dealer service charge is not reasonable.

Reactions: Keith2027

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
te
That's insane cost for the battery at the dealer. My local Maserati dealer put in the Interstate AGM for around $425. The original battery tested strong at dealer, but car electronics indicated otherwise. Changed out and that solved the electronic issues. I do use the battery tender when not driving for over 2 weeks. The first battery in the 2014 and 2015 were pretty bad. I got around 3.5 years out of first one and going on 3+ years with the AGM. Next time, I'm buying direct from Interstate if the dealer service charge is not reasonable.
BeerGuy, thanks for responding. I looked up for interstate. Will the one below work you think? Can I then have a local mechanic intall it? For example, I have a mechanic who works on regular sedans and SUVs like the Hondas, Toyotas etc. Or is it too complicated for them that I have to take the car only to the dealer?

Interstate Batteries | MTX-49/H8

·
Administrator
2,390 Posts
te

BeerGuy, thanks for responding. I looked up for interstate. Will the one below work you think? Can I then have a local mechanic intall it? For example, I have a mechanic who works on regular sedans and SUVs like the Hondas, Toyotas etc. Or is it too complicated for them that I have to take the car only to the dealer?

Interstate Batteries | MTX-49/H8
That one is a replacement battery for the factory original used in the Ghibli. It can be done by your mechanic. Some of the folks on forum did themselves too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That one is a replacement battery for the factory original used in the Ghibli. It can be done by your mechanic. Some of the folks on forum did themselves too.
Thanks, BeerGuy.

As an update, the battery seems to be fine. The starter apparently broke. So I am in the process of replacing it and the total cost is $1302 including diagnosis, labor and parts.

Also, need to replace all the 4 tires. Really worn out. Any suggestions where I could get some deals and what would be ideal for ghibli SQ4?

·
Administrator
2,390 Posts
Thanks, BeerGuy.

As an update, the battery seems to be fine. The starter apparently broke. So I am in the process of replacing it and the total cost is $1302 including diagnosis, labor and parts.

Also, need to replace all the 4 tires. Really worn out. Any suggestions where I could get some deals and what would be ideal for ghibli SQ4?
Glad you got to a solution on the no start problem.

Not sure if you have All Season or High Performance Summers. I switched from Pirelli to Michelin PS4's high performance summers ... you can also get an all season versions.

A couple places I've gotten good deals:
  • Costco on the Michelin - especially if you time it during a $120 -150/off 4 tire sale, (which they are now $150 off). Price is good as the tire hazard warranty is included in the installation price and tire balancing.
  • Tire Rack and Discount Tires Direct were also good prices and reasonable warranty ... if you don't have your own service center picked out, they have places they work with so you have a good experience.
  • Sam Club - Used them to buy the Pirelli P Zero tires for my son's BMW .... they carry Pirelli, while Costco does not.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks, BeerGuy.

Lionhart LH5’s from SimpleTire have been great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, BeerGuy.

Ive encountered a similar problem to yours. I just replaced my oem battery with an h8 agm and my car still won’t start. Lights pop up on my dash but I tried jumping the car and it starts after about 5 minutes. I drove around for about 30 minutes no problem, but when I parked in my garage and tried to start it up again I only hear a clicking sound but no start. You think this is a starter issue or a malfunctioning fuse or something of that nature?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ive encountered a similar problem to yours. I just replaced my oem battery with an h8 agm and my car still won’t start. Lights pop up on my dash but I tried jumping the car and it starts after about 5 minutes. I drove around for about 30 minutes no problem, but when I parked in my garage and tried to start it up again I only hear a clicking sound but no start. You think this is a starter issue or a malfunctioning fuse or something of that nature?
If you can get it started by jumping it then it's not the starter, could be a defective battery or perhaps just a bad connection at the terminals. Depending on the brand of battery the cold cranking amps need to be at 900 or higher, if the battery you have claims 900 but is only putting out say 850 then the car won't start. These Ghiblis are extremely sensitive when it comes to having the correct power. That's one of the reasons I paid the dealer $600 for a new battery installed, I didn't wanna deal with issues. Also note the battery I replaced was an agm champion battery and for the last year it had been giving me issues even though I had it tested at 2 different places and they said the battery was fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts