Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Maserati Ghibli SQ4, 2017 RangeRover Supercharged, 2018 LandRover Sport HSE, 2012 Saburban LTZ
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I sadly lost my original battery tender and I was wondering if this one would
work. This is the only one I haven't lost and when I used it with my Land Rover, there was a dedicated port in the engine bay. I am used to the Ctek charges that directly connect to the battery, and I have heard horror stories about charging batteries through the cigarette lighter port.
Font Cable Gadget Electronic device Auto part

Does anyone know if its safe to trickle charge a Ghibli through the cigarette ports?

·
Registered
2016 Ghibli, 2019 VW Golf GTI
85 Posts
It isn't ideal...direct connection to the battery is the preferred method. Mine is set up with the Ctek extension plug exposed in the boot (trunk) & as mine isn't driven often spends most of its time hooked up to the charger.

Anyway, two things come to mind...

The car's circuitry must have the lighter socket "live" & without checking I'm not sure if the Ghibli does. Also the charge rate must be kept low enough not to blow the fuse associated with the lighter socket (often 10 Amps)

Apart from those two perameters I can't think of anything else that would be a problem.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I never liked these, like Mark, much better directly via a dedicated connector on the baterry.

Many posts on here on how to wire the battery pig tail, with an IPS.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
211 Posts
The 2018 does not have a live "cigar lighter". Agree with going direct to the battery. Any battery charger/float charger should work fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts