Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
But how did you get the positive on the screw? and you had to buy a nut to put on it?
Thanks for the help guys!
Mine ctek connection is under an existing nut that was holding the positive in place.

When I switched my negative to the spot I.M. posted, I loosed the existing nut, connected the ctek negative cable and tightened back down. My Maserati ctek connections are like a "C" versus a full oval to easily slide around post/under the nut.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh. That explains a lot. Guess I will have to head to the dealer.
Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
But how did you get the positive on the screw? and you had to buy a nut to put on it?
Thanks for the help guys!
My CTEK unit came with eyelet connectors 10mm in diameter (circular enclosed) which would easily fit over the screw. I have attached a picture of the positive terminal block with its cover removed before attaching the connector. Note that my car came without the hex nut so I had to purchase it (M8-1.25) with a matching washer from Home Depot to hold it down.

It seems that CTEK supplied different connectors: M10, M6 (1/4") circular eyelets, or "C" connectors. If you have the M6 (1/4") circular eyelet connector, the positive will will not fit over the M8 screw terminal I used. However, you can simply attach it to the top screw (M6-1.0) in my picture which already has a hex nut and which is connected to the same battery positive plate. FYI, the car body grounding point Bob and I connected our negative to is an M6-1.0 screw and already has a nice dome cap nut fastener.

Access to these just required removing the battery compartment and positive terminal cover and did not involve removing any panels with special tools - just metric wrench/sockets for the fasteners.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, what do you think about pluging charger/tender in front area instead of trunk area? Just like Maserati owner's manual order pluging jumper cables. I do that and everything is just fine. It is easier to have open front hood that trunk, isn't?

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
We'll the tricks the guys here have shared is to close the trunk as the wire is not impacted.
Some put a towel, I keep the charger plugged in and close to the outlet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi guys, what do you think about pluging charger/tender in front area instead of trunk area? Just like Maserati owner's manual order pluging jumper cables. I do that and everything is just fine. It is easier to have open front hood that trunk, isn't?
When my battery died (didn't drive car for 9 days and had some cold weather even in the garage), I couldn't get the trunk open at all so I charged up the battery from the front like you did and it's all good now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have been using a Battery Tender. Link Below. Is there any reason I shouldn't use it.

Hooked to the positive terminal and negative to a body ground. One of the bolts connected to the body in the battery well.

Battery Tender 800MA
022-0150-DL-WH

·
Registered
14 Posts
Battery Cold Cranking Amps Question

I would like to be able to hook up a battery tester to my 2015 Ghibli battery to monitor my battery strength. In order to use most good battery testers, I need to know the type of battery, the battery cold cranking amps (CCA), and the cranking amps (CA). The battery in my Ghibli has almost no markings. Just "12V 100Ah". To date, my dealer has been completely unwilling to provide me any information about the battery acting like it is some big secret that needs to be kept. Of course this information is not provided by the wafer thin Maserati owner's manual, and I cannot find this information online anywhere.

Does anyone know what type of battery the Maserati Ghibli uses (e.g. standard lead acid?), what is the battery's cold cranking amps (CCA) and cranking amps (CA)? I would be very grateful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
million dollar question… how do you get the trunk light to go off/get the trunk to close with the cord leading out? Or does it not matter because the car is "plugged in"?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just use put a gallon jug of water on a rag on the trunk lid to hold it down. And I believe the light will eventually turn off anyway so the battery doesn't run down.

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
million dollar question… how do you get the trunk light to go off/get the trunk to close with the cord leading out? Or does it not matter because the car is "plugged in"?
I just wrap a microfiber towel around the thin wires and close the trunk. The battery tender sits under the rear tire. Done it this way for 2 years with no problem. Dealer said leave trunk open and power management will turn off light ... I prefer to have the trunk closed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the photos. Just got a new 2017 Ghibli two weeks ago and wanted to hook up a CTEK 7002 especially for the winter when it wasn't going to be driven that much. This was a big help.

·
Registered
322 Posts
On my 2017 Ghibli it did not come with the battery tender I called salesguy he said you wont be needing it unless you park the car for long period of time or if your in a state where its very cold not sure how true that is.

My question is do I need this and how important is it?
I am in Southern California.

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
On my 2017 Ghibli it did not come with the battery tender I called salesguy he said you wont be needing it unless you park the car for long period of time or if your in a state where its very cold not sure how true that is.

My question is do I need this and how important is it?
I am in Southern California.
The cars don't come with the tenders ... sometimes they will throw it in as part of closing the deal.

I find in warmer weather you have less need for it below 2 weeks of not driving, but as you approach 4 weeks of just sitting idle or only driving a few miles per day you might find the battery wears down faster.

I'm in Northeast, so use it to hibernate car for 3 months. Since, I already have installed, if car is going to be parked for more than 2 weeks without driving I'll plug in. It helps preserve the battery for cars that are driven less often.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts