Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can I connect the Ctek charger to the M6 location in this photo, The eye of the connectors on my charger will fit over that and I can use the same hex nut that is there. Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
Can I connect the Ctek charger to the M6 location in this photo, The eye of the connectors on my charger will fit over that and I can use the same hex nut that is there. Thanks for your help.
I have mine on the M8 location ... the dealer opened up the eye (into a C) and put a bolt on top, but others have used the M6 location for convenience after checking with their dealer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have mine on the M8 location ... the dealer opened up the eye (into a C) and put a bolt on top, but others have used the M6 location for convenience after checking with their dealer.
@Ardt and @BeerGuy --- I just finished hooking mine up today...I haven't fired it up as I'm awaiting some confirmation from this thread I'm good to go

You can find the pics here: link

I used the M6 location to avoid buying the nut for the positive. For the ground I used the point used by AgeRebel and Bob.

My ctek came with the full circle eyelet connectors 1/4"/M6

Please let me know if I'm good to go! :)

also @BeerGuy which charging program do you normally use? Normal, Cold, or Recond? Have you used an extension cord also? (I see some caution notes about using extension cord w/ the CTEK)

Thanks

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
@Ardt and @BeerGuy --- I just finished hooking mine up today...I haven't fired it up as I'm awaiting some confirmation from this thread I'm good to go

You can find the pics here: link

I used the M6 location to avoid buying the nut for the positive. For the ground I used the point used by AgeRebel and Bob.

My ctek came with the full circle eyelet connectors 1/4"/M6

Please let me know if I'm good to go! :)

also @BeerGuy which charging program do you normally use? Normal, Cold, or Recond? Have you used an extension cord also? (I see some caution notes about using extension cord w/ the CTEK)

Thanks
I do use a high quality extension cord without problems. I run the thin cable out the trunk folded in microfiber towel and connect to my extension cord / garage outlet.

Your set-up will work. The negative is very specific to for the unit to properly measure the charge. The positive will work in your location. I think Maserati provided that spare post (without nut) for battery tender.

The CTEK charger I have is the Maserati supplied unit ... really one mode ... plug it in and it will go through the stages until fully charged than cycle (as a tender). Never had any problems.

·
Registered
64 Posts
@BeerGuy --- stupid question, but do you just leaved this plugged in for weeks on weeks or it's recommended to unplug the tender from wall outlet and give it some time?

I plugged mine in on Saturday/Sunday on the normal program...now it's hit stage 7 which means that it is "done" and has been on stage 7 for atleast a day ...can I leave it plugged in or I should change to a different program or should I unplug?

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
@BeerGuy --- stupid question, but do you just leaved this plugged in for weeks on weeks or it's recommended to unplug the tender from wall outlet and give it some time?

I plugged mine in on Saturday/Sunday on the normal program...now it's hit stage 7 which means that it is "done" and has been on stage 7 for atleast a day ...can I leave it plugged in or I should change to a different program or should I unplug?
You can leave it plugged in for months ... that's what I do over winter. I plugged mine in Dec 1 and I'll unplug it for first time Friday to take the car in for Crystalline 70% film on windshield.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Connecting to charger to charging points under hood for Ghibli

I saw someone else post this question but did not see an answer. Can you connect a battery charger to the charging points under the hood? I.e. the red positive spot and then the negative to a grounded point on the car? I tried this and the lights of the charger all lit up in in the right order. I’m using a NOCO Genius G350 charger. I did notice that if you open a door and the dome lights go on that it starts the process over again. Just seems like an easier set-up and if it’s appropriate I’d run a connect to the front of the car so I don’t need to even open the hood. Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
I saw someone else post this question but did not see an answer. Can you connect a battery charger to the charging points under the hood? I.e. the red positive spot and then the negative to a grounded point on the car? I tried this and the lights of the charger all lit up in in the right order. I’m using a NOCO Genius G350 charger. I did notice that if you open a door and the dome lights go on that it starts the process over again. Just seems like an easier set-up and if it’s appropriate I’d run a connect to the front of the car so I don’t need to even open the hood. Any thoughts?
That is an option used by some. The Maserati trickle charger version also includes the clamps for folks who want to use that approach.

I used a permanent set-up through the trunk just to keep it out of the way.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Thanks for quick response. I was planning for a permanent mount using eyelets and a 10 foot wire connector to the front grill that will plug into the charger outside the car. Just wanted to ensure the charging would work the same as if I mounted off the battery in the trunk. Will send pics once done.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Just got a 2018 SQ4 GranLusso and it came with a tender pre-wired to the trunk battery. Didn’t know it was an option but happy with the option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Guys (especially Beer Guy) , Brand new here on the forum and looking to buy a CTEK battery tender off Amazon when the Ghibli sits for a couple months next week. I found some old 2014 posts between Beer Guy and I.M. that discussed the proper location of the negative battery tender connection and I was confused as to where is the correct location is for a 2015 Ghibli ? I saw a few posts say it is on a side bolt of the actual negative terminal, and then I read a few posts that it is on an independent bolt located on the actual body of the car. I saw both sets of pictures and just confused which one is the most current and accurate? I even saw a Maserati Tech Tips 34 that seemed confusing because the left-side picture is mounting to the negative battery terminal while the right-side picture looks to be mounting to the actual car body ?? And lastly, I also saw posters buying different models, like the CTEK US3300, also the 1065, and lastly the MUS 4.3; so which one is actually correct for just maintaining the battery ? Thanks very much !!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
It really doesn't matter where you connect the negative terminal. Find whatever point it suits your install and go with it.
As for the model, that doesn't matter either, any CTEK that's able to tend a 12v car battery will be fine - the more expensive, the more versatile they are, and more functions they offer, but the basics are the same.
The OEM one is a modified version of the 4.3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So Toshy, all this previous stuff about making sure you install the negative in the correct place because of the IBS monitoring is all irrelevant ? So you're saying I can install the negative lead anywhere ?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Uh... What IBS? You're charging the battery, not the car. I scrolled up a few posts and seen this mentioned, but it's irrelevant. As long as the tender lead is connected directly to a mass point that has a clear circuit path to the battery, the tender will do its job.
Remember you are charging the battery, car's electrical systems are irrelevant in this scenario.

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
Hey Guys (especially Beer Guy) , proper location of the negative battery tender connection and I was confused as to where is the correct location is for a 2015 Ghibli ? I saw a few posts say it is on a side bolt of the actual negative terminal, and then I read a few posts that it is on an independent bolt located on the actual body of the car. I saw both sets of pictures and just confused which one is the most current and accurate? I even saw a Maserati Tech Tips 34 that seemed confusing because the left-side picture is mounting to the negative battery terminal while the right-side picture looks to be mounting to the actual car body ??
Either the car body post or the negative terminal location I.M. posted in his pictures will work fine ... that should make it easy for you. As Toshy indicates there are a host of 12V chargers that work perfect. I'd keep it simple and lower cost CTEK from Amazon ... the Maserati OEM is overpriced version with nothing more than logo surcharge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Uh... What IBS? You're charging the battery, not the car. I scrolled up a few posts and seen this mentioned, but it's irrelevant. As long as the tender lead is connected directly to a mass point that has a clear circuit path to the battery, the tender will do its job.
Remember you are charging the battery, car's electrical systems are irrelevant in this scenario.
hey guys, sorry to be still confused, but this page out of the manual below is what I was referring to regarding IBS . It sounds like it’s rather important where you mount the negative lead of the charger, but then I got confused reading a post by IM that said this was incorrect and you should mount it directly to the well wall of the car ? Beer Guy, how is yours currently mounted ?

·
Registered
644 Posts
since hardwiring with eyelets, bolt the positive to one of the positive studs, find any bolt around the side of the battery that bolts to the body of the car. the body of the car is electrical ground for the entire vehicle. if clamps, then sure, clamp to positive and clamp to the 13mm nut past the IBS.

i feel like this is getting a little over complicated.
the idea in the owners manual is to put current into the car in a way that the IBS can detect it, but if we want to get into overly complicated, if you think of the flow of electrons, and electricity, it moves from one terminal to the other. the manual is picturing the wrong way as charging right to the posts so the the flow doesn't pass through the IBS. hooking up positive to positive and negative to the body will cause the flow to happen through the IBS to the battery negative.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks sc00bk, I am installing the pig-tails permanently, so I’m guessing this means I am to mount the negative tender cable to a nearby bolt on the frame of the car versus mounting to the specified bolt the manual recommends. Are there any posters that have encountered this and please tell me where you permanently mounted your negative leads ?

·
Administrator
2,389 Posts
Mine has been setup in this position since 2014 ... no issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks much for the picture and I tried to magnify it, but it won't enlarge. So I went back and I found the original pictures from old posts that that have confused me so much on this subject ?. Can you please look at these 4 pictures and tell me how you (or Maserati) claim is the current and correct way to have the charger pigtails connected, I labeled the Negative choices as A and B, and the Positive choices as A and B:
Negative Connection - A.jpg
Negative Connection - B.jpg
Positive Connection - A.jpg
Positive Connection - B.jpg

61 - 80 of 103 Posts