Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to take the plunge on a used Ghibli (as I'm bored of owning German cars to be honest!). However, knowing how costly ownership can potentially be, I am trying to find the value sweetspot on various decisions. An obvious one is how many years old to be looking which seems to be somewhere in the 2-4 range. I can wait up to another year if a 18-19 would be worth it from a reliability perspective over a 16-17, say. Similarly on this point, whether having some manufacturer warranty would be better than using Warrantywise on an older model for example. Other decisions are what mileage range to be looking at, whether to pay the premium for a CPO, whether to consider a slightly older Quattroporte etc. I expect to buy the car outright (FSH would be a must and the most basic model is fine), hold for 3-5 years so long as it doesn't have lots of problems, average 5000 miles a year and then move it on by part exchange as opposed to selling privately. I'm sure this profile has implications for the best spec to be looking for.

·
Administrator
2,245 Posts
Typically MY 17+ is a good choice with low mileage and proper service records. MY 16 was an improvement but lacks some of the newer features. I'd even try to squeeze closer to a MY 18 if it's a good deal for added technology. That would give you manufacturer warranty and option for the extended warranty and/or CPO. For me personally, I like to have the CPO or extended to reduce risk, although can say for me it was close to a break even on my spend vs services done on extended warranty.
There are plenty of low mileage cars ... many like you run 5-10K miles per year. Mine is 6 years old with 15K miles.
The QP is a more solid ride with a little more luxury feel. I liked the 12" added space in rear seats, but didn't like the looks as much as the Ghibli ... more sporty. If you need the legroom for adults in back seat that should sway your decision.
My wife drives a well optioned BMW which is a solid car with nice features, but looks like every other one you pass on the street. Not many Maserati's so a little uniqueness.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts