Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have my Q4 about a month...close to 1,500 miles and no break squealing. Definitely doesn't sound normal to me. That's said, what I do have is an annoying rattle that sounds like it's coming from the steering column when I'm at around 1,500-2,500 rpm. I was prepared for it prior to taking delivery, as a completely different dealer warned me about this issue with some Q4's during a test drive. Curious if this is common and if any others have encountered the rattling noise?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem ....

I have the same Problem with my brakes on a Ghibli Diesel (have got the Ghibli last week :):)). Also my dealer told me that it shall end after around 1000 km. He mentioned - that the built-in Brembo brakes have the problem because the brakepads are very hard ...
I have 300 km now, I will report whether what changes after more driven kilometres ...

·
Registered
284 Posts
you can try bedding the brakes to speed up the process if the sound is really bothering you, i know that's a way to break them in which is what seems to be needed here.

·
Registered
324 Posts
what I do have is an annoying rattle that sounds like it's coming from the steering column when I'm at around 1,500-2,500 rpm
That sounds potentially bad. Have you brought it in to have it diagnosed?

My q4 is nearing 1200 miles and I don't hear that (knock on wood).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Over 1300 miles. No squealing. Honestly I don't think the dealers know what to say, so since it's brand new they're going to consider any minor thing that goes wrong a part of production and tell you it's "normal." Maybe it is, but having had two previous cars that squealed horribly (a CTSV and a GTR) I understand how aggravating the noise is.

The dealers really don't know what "normal" means yet on this car. The day I took delivery of mine was the first day my dealership had even seen one!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had my new Ghibli for a month and noticed brake squeal at very low speed prior to stopping just after delivery. Took it to the dealer and they said it would go away after use and some hard braking. They also claimed to do some rotor cleaning/roughing.
The brakes are squealing even louder now after 800 miles and sounds like our local garbage truck which is not good. Plan to return to the dealer next week.
I love the performance, handling and looks of this car, and am quite hopeful we can resolve this issue on the front Brembo brakes

·
Registered
45 Posts
One of the Ghibli's I tested had a brake squeal, I chalked it up to needing a good hard stop to bed it in. Dealer person said "Eh, its Italian"…

·
Registered
348 Posts
This is common for very large performance brakes. They do need to be worn in and also depends on temperature and humidity. had a similar issue on a porsche…went away after some time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is a real issue. I had my RWD Ghibli in twice to get it addressed. New pads/rotors in front. New pads in rear. Still getting the sound exactly as CarFan describes.

Hitting the brakes really hard may make it go away for a bit, but it always comes back.

Dealer said factory is looking into a fix, and just told me this week that they have new pads formulated that address the issue.

Take the car to the dealer and inform them of this development and have them get you on the list! My pads are supposed to arrive next week. I'll let you know if they work!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is this issue only for the RWD? I have a SQ4 and have not noticed the breaks squeal but I only have 300 miles. If this is a known issue and there is a fix, I would like to contact my dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have no idea about the breadth of people experiencing the issue. It certainly isn't affecting everyone. All I know is that it got the attention of the factory and they have a solution. My guess would be they only apply the solution to cars experiencing the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Breaks

I was told it's only rwd cars that have this issue and new pads rotors should be shipped in the next two to three weeks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you McGrathDW! I just got off the 'phone with my dealer and asked what they did to address the front brake squeal problem for which I had brought it in for the second time. Their response was that they had "roughed up and deglazed the rotors" which was exactly the same response as last time.

Sooooooo. I asked for them to put new pads on, which they claim they have to contact Maserati first in order to do. I'm just going down there now, and decided to check this forum first for any new news, and voila, I see your post. Very helpful development, and I will advise them of it, and get my name on the list.

Will let you know the outcome/response, and look forward to hearing about yours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having the same issue as well with them squeaking at low speeds. They told me to bed the brakes as well, but they also said that it should work itself out in a few 100 miles or so.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I've had my RWD since Dec and I have the same squeal at low speeds and the rattle at 1500k RPM. The brake issue goes away once the car has driven a bit but does come back.

For the rattle, I was told it has to do with the design of the wastegate. Supposedly Maserati NA is aware and has already contacted Ferrari to address but may not matter for those of us that already have this car.

For those of you who are wondering, it sounds like an exhaust leak where the exhaust rattles but sounds like it comes from the downpipe area.

·
Registered
277 Posts
anti squeal liquid

throw tons of that stuff on all over the back and sides of the brake pads.

1 - 20 of 235 Posts