Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas/feedback on brand and octane of gas to use?

Coming of a thorough-bred 6.2 liter C63 that loved Chevron 92 or 94 in Canada, I found the Ghibli a bit sluggish or rougher with it.

I am trying 92 V-Power Shell and it seems to be pretty good.

Any recommendations/thoughts/feedback?

·
Administrator
2,522 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In Washington, I can only find 92. Seems like Shell is working out better than Chevron for me. Maybe I'm just picky.

Car runs rough in the morning though, it seemed like it wanted to stall once or twice, not sure if it's gas or something else.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've honestly never been able to tell the difference in gas brands with modern engines. Some of my old, highly tuned cars were sensitive though.

Oddly, Arco was the brand that was most consistently good. Me and my friends assumed that it was either because it being cheap fuel, had fewer detergents/additives, making it more "pure"; or simply because the stations were always busy so the fuel was never old.

Regardless, I try to avoid ethanol when I can.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

·
Registered
480 Posts
Gas Octane averaging?

I have what seems like a weird question. I recently told my friend that I am using 93 octane gas for the car, even though the manual says use 91 octane. I use 93 because that's what is available in my area.

So my friend says, "fill up your car with 93, at a half tank fill it with 89. You will have 91 octane. hereafter, alternate your fills half 93 and half 89 and you'll save a few dollars over the year on gas"

Does this make sense? Is gas octane averaged out to come up with 91 octane? It can't be that simple. Does anyone have a definitive answer on this? How could octane levels "average" out to 91? :eek:

·
Administrator
2,522 Posts
The R+M/2 octane relationship is linear so blending does theoretically work. Some service stations only have two grades / sets of tanks and they blend to get the middle ranges anyway.

I buy my gas at Costco so only have 93 and 87 ... it is too much of a pain to deal with the blending for me. Although I do "alternate" in my Escalade which works out great ... but that seems to run fine with regular.

I think minimum octane can float a bit, but most important is quality of the fuel added to the tank. Fortunately, Costco gas is rated very well ... even with the 10% ethanol or winterizing agents added in cold climates.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Beerguy
Thanks for the response. I too use Costco so that's where I am filling with 93. I was just concerned because on some internet sites they say using too high an octane may effect the engine knock sensors adversely just like using too low and octane gas. I am not a mechanic so I thought blending may play it safe.

Steve

·
Registered
863 Posts
He is taking about 98 Ron which is equivalent to 93 AKI... the UK system uses RON and US uses AKI octane index so in principal its the same thing

Reactions: Spsesq

·
Administrator
2,522 Posts
Beerguy
Thanks for the response. I too use Costco so that's where I am filling with 93. I was just concerned because on some internet sites they say using too high an octane may effect the engine knock sensors adversely just like using too low and octane gas. I am not a mechanic so I thought blending may play it safe.

Steve
The difference in 91 and 93 AKI is relatively small in that range. The Maserati S-Q4 recommendation calls for minimum 91 AKI octane. I wouldn't go overboard with any of the boutique stations that cater to race cars and enthusiasts that use 0 ethanol or up to 114 AKI octane. The only thing I got from using 114 octane was a speeding ticket seeing if it worked better in a former car ... it didn't so last time I tried that.:)

Reactions: flamingwicky
1 - 19 of 19 Posts