Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was looking for a thread on breaking in the Ghibli but didn't find one.

Any general advice on breaking in the car?

I found this in the owner's manual but I don't get the sentence about open throttle. Can someone explain it better? It seems like they want you to get to cruising speed (~50MPH) then floor the car without letting it get to 5K?

Thanks

Breaking In
Today's modern production methods are designed to provide extremely precise construction and assembly of components. However, moving parts do undergo a settling process, basically in the first hours of vehicle operation.

Avoid exceeding 5,000 rpm for the first 620 mi trip (1,000 km).

After starting the vehicle, do not exceed 4,000 rpm until the engine has warmed up sufficiently (coolant temperature: 149-158°F / 65-70°C).

Do not drive keeping at a constant high speed rate for a prolonged time.

While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in of the engine. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.

The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, see “Maintenance Procedures” in section 7.

A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles of operation. This should be considered as a normal part of the break-in period and not interpreted as an indication of an engine malfunction.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh oh, I am heading to San Fransciso for the weekend, a 600 mile round trip. What's considered a prolonged period of time, 1 hr, 2 hrs, 3 hrs. For sure the cruise control will be on and I have no intention on keeping my foot on the gas pedal for 600 miles.

My-Rati

·
Administrator
2,570 Posts
My dealer indicated these were already broken in prior to shipment. When I came in for the dealer delivery they were flooring it in park to show me how good it sounds in sport mode.

I still was very careful for the first 500 miles ... I only needed 2500 rpm to hit 120 mph in 8th gear.>:D

This is the first new car, I didn't have them change the oil/filter at 1000 miles. All my others the dealer did it at no charge.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Oh oh, I am heading to San Fransciso for the weekend, a 600 mile round trip. What's considered a prolonged period of time, 1 hr, 2 hrs, 3 hrs. For sure the cruise control will be on and I have no intention on keeping my foot on the gas pedal for 600 miles.

My-Rati

Lucky you. How I would love to drive my Ghibli on the coastal highway there.
Take Rt. 1, not 101. You'll love having your foot on the gas pedal for 600 miles.

·
Registered
852 Posts
my dealer told me as well to just drive it without worrying about breakin. I was careful but in the end went over the parameters in the manual a number of times. but I am leasing so that may be different than ownership.

·
Registered
127 Posts
No offence, but I too would love to keep my foot on the aluminum sport gas pedal for 600 miles ! Pushing down with various pressure of course :D

·
Registered
480 Posts
Remember to bed in the brakes. I did it when I first got the car according to detailed instructions on this site from MPRA1999 and I have had zero issues with brake sound, squeal or overheating

·
Registered
64 Posts
Unbelievable, the beast purrs like a kitten going 85 mph and less than 2500 rpm.

I had no choice but to put my foot on the pedal several times.

She's broken in now!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate, I did nothing with the brakes and also have had zero issues. It seems like the problems are more common with the base model than with the SQ4.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts