Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - considering you all are existing Ghibli owner's and experts i was wondering if it will be prudent to buy the Ghibli now or wait for a few months until this year end for 2015 model so that any problems that the new car may have will be resolved at the factory and shipped!

I was at the dealership yesterday and had a mind to put in an order, but after reading some of the articles on here on the squeaks, rattles and such problems wonder if Maserati will take a while to resolve on this in the upcoming production models. Since i am using a Mercedes E Class and my wife drives a VW CC - we have been used to reliable cars (maybe i am lucky to own both cars which don't have any problems). I am ok for problems which can be resolved at the dealership, but not so for rattles, squeaks etc - which in my experience never seem to go away and irritates a lot .

So was thinking being a new car maybe they will take a bit of time to resolve all this and iron out such thing. Thanks for your thoughts. Btw i am considering the Base Ghibli in Bianco White with some options like extended leather package, 20" Urano wheels, premium sound and paddle shifters. Also wondering if the 'Grigio Metallo' which is a kind of silver grey would look better and show off the car's lines well? Or any other color other than black which will suit this car?

Thanks all for your inputs - appreciate it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Where are you? If in a RHD country then a car ordered now ought to make delivery by September if past experience is anything to go by.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer here in Dubai tells me it will be 3-4 months for special order - their stock cars have some of the options i need not included - so an order now will mean delivery for July (2014 MY). New model year (2015) i guess starts from bookings made in June -July - its LHD

·
Registered
76 Posts
Order now and get it by sept, not that great of a turn around time but it is what it is, at the end of the day we're getting a fine italian vehicle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wouldn't wait. How can you wait when you are buying a car!? :)
In my case, the dealer luckily had exactly same build I wanted already placed for their inventory. I still had to wait for a month as it was at the end of the production cycle. Even a month was too long for me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there,

I have posted before about the annoying sound (rattle), but I have bought a Ghibli S, anyways. I live in shanghai, a city infested with BMW, audis, Benz and Porsche. But, I gotta tell you, driving a Maserati is a completely different story! The engine in sport mode is just awesome (Ferrari's heart), listening to the engine makes me don't want to even turn the music loud. I have my doubts about buying it, but I can't describe the feeling of driving the car, and people are always looking at it, cause it's a sexy car! Not the usual German cars you see around.

Anyway, no car is perfect, it depends so much in what you are looking for. I just can say a ghibli it delivers a great driving experience and exclusivity.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Btw i am considering the Base Ghibli in Bianco White with some options like extended leather package, 20" Urano wheels, premium sound and paddle shifters. Also wondering if the 'Grigio Metallo' which is a kind of silver grey would look better and show off the car's lines well? Or any other color other than black which will suit this car?

Thanks all for your inputs - appreciate it.
Silver looks really good on the Ghibli. My local dealer had a silver/red one that was being delivered to a customer. It's a really great color to show off the Ghibli's lines. The Ghibli has so many little details that it's really worth getting a color which shows them. I would never buy a black Ghibli because of this. Black hides a lot of the car's beautiful lines and details imo.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i was wondering if it will be prudent to buy the Ghibli now or wait
Wait. Wait a loooong time. Cuz ya know the 2016s will be even betterer. And then the 2017s will have the refreshed styling, so why get the "old" one when you can just wait a wee little year for the "new" one? But then the refresh will have issues too. So then probably the 2018 will work out the glitches...

You don't want a silly old Maserati anyway. They're ugly. And that exclusivity thing, who needs that business? Now a nice popular German car is what you want...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Emix - thats a very useful input - appreciate it. I think their silver is called 'Grigio Metallo'

Silver looks really good on the Ghibli. My local dealer had a silver/red one that was being delivered to a customer. It's a really great color to show off the Ghibli's lines. The Ghibli has so many little details that it's really worth getting a color which shows them. I would never buy a black Ghibli because of this. Black hides a lot of the car's beautiful lines and details imo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@RSM - I think you misunderstood my post, the mind is made up on the car.Just that being an all new car (Maserati's first effort on a volume car), the real world problems are usually resolved by the manufacturer after the first year of production - so the wait would be only to see through the 2014 MY and pick up the 2015 MY. Hopefully they would have enough feedback by then and the issues resolved in production instead of many runs back to the dealer for fixing it. Even mainstream german marques have teething problems on their all new models in the first year, so Maserati is no different and this is acceptable.

With a PLC of 7 years, wouldn't think a wait out in the first year would take away any kind of exclusivity or excitement from the product - since anyways the number of Ghibli's on the road will be still small compared to german marques. This post of mine was to just get existing owner opinion and not to drum up any kind of argument or trying to show the Ghibli in bad light!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think you misunderstood my post
Heh. I understand your post, just poking fun and pointing out there's always a reason to wait. Will 2015 be a better year for the Ghibli? Probably a touch. Worth the wait? Subjective. In my view, no!, but I'm one of the freaks who ordered one sight unseen back in September.

In any respect waiting a year is playing it safer for sure -- Maserati will likely fix more problems than they introduce. And waiting buys you a year to assess the Ghibli and compare it with other cars. Wise. Waiting is a virtue after all. I'll admire your waiting on my drive home in my badass SQ4 ;)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Me too! no patience.............could not wait a year..........ok my lease is up! but still good for you for waiting for the bugs to get worked out...........That is what i normaly try to do and hope I will not regret this decision.........

·
Registered
80 Posts
d.mat;28017 So was thinking being a new car maybe they will take a bit of time to resolve all this and iron out such thing. Thanks for your thoughts. Btw i am considering the Base Ghibli in Bianco White with some options like extended leather package said:
I have a grigio metallo =silver Q4. Fully loaded with exception of Bowers&Wilkins. Inside rosso/nero. It's a very special silver which shows the design of the car very well. As at the moment here in Switzerland there are a lot of black or white cars , these colours were not interesting for me. The nero ribelle looks nice as well but it's black. Anyway the silver/red combination is a very classic Maserati combination: just look at the 3500's from the 60's.
I couldn't wait and ordered the car the first day possible june 10th. I hoped to get the car from the first lot in september, knowing tht there could be some little issues. But at the end I had to wait 7 months and got it january 10th despite haveing a very early chassis-number. I complained several times that I ordered as first here in Switzerland and that I don't understand why I have to wait so long. Then I got the answer that they ameliorated different things in the production process and that they will star the production dec. 23rd.
Probably because Switzerland is a very good market for them and Swiss customers are known as difficult they just didn't want to ship cars from the first lots. Anyway I have driven now 3000 km,nearly 2000 miles and I have nothing, no rattles or other things which are mentioned in the forum. So I think that after the first 4 months of production they certainly settled a lot of the little problems which are normal for a new car and that you can order the Ghibli now every day you like.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Luciano would you mind posting some pictures of your car? I can't get enough of the silver/red combo, it's quite rare, with the exception of the car I saw in that combo, I haven't seen or heard of any in it. If I didn't like Blu Emozione so much, silver/red would be my choice as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Luciano - Thank you , the input on the color is very helpful - congrats on your car , drive it in good health!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Emix what interior are you getting? I am getting my Emozione with Rosso/nero interior and appear to be in a very small percentage regarding my color choice.............so just curious........

·
Registered
348 Posts
I too struggled with the wait versus buy as I typically don't buy a car in the first year of production. However, I gave in given the car I traded was coming off of warranty. I would say later production 2014 cars should have a fair amount of the quirks worked out, but as others have pointed out, more issues will come up and this is a never-ending cycle. I don't think there would be much upgraded or changed officially on a 2015 car. Keep in mind, if you order a car today, you will wait 4 months for it too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Anderson - Yes, totally agree - the 4 month waiting is by itself a bit too much - i remember waiting for my Porsche for 3 months and it drove me nuts, so this is now a big test of my patience !

1 - 20 of 42 Posts