Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been looking to get a QP after my Ghibli is done, but I really feel embarrassed riding around with that cheap plastic logo on the front. Is there an aftermarket, or can I go buy a 2017 Ghibli logo and put it on?

Just a question. This is the stuff Maserati misses that is easy and drives me crazy. :p

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't a have a direct answer to your question, but I think you need to be more specific about what you are talking about. Is it the Trident itself, that sit on the front gril, which used to be made of metal and is now made olf plastic on some recent Ghibli models? Is it the "seata" logo (white and blue oval, with a red trident, and Maserati name) that sits on the front of the hood?

If it's the trident you're talking about, and you would want to replace the plastic one, be aware that it is now made of plastic (on some models) simply because there's the front radar box sitting right behind it (and which comes with all the ADAS recent systems), and that anything made of metal sitting in front of it would be no good. You probably can find metal tridents as an OEM or aftermarket part of some kind, but you won't be able to mount one in front of the radar or, if you do, you may well turn your dashboard into a Christmas tree whenever you drive your car and the radar gets the feeling you just crashed it on a obstacle sitting in front of it. If you don't have a front radar, I guess this should be possble, but I never investigated.

Reactions: TitleistT200

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I don't a have a direct answer to your question, but I think you need to be more specific about what you are talking about. Is it the Trident itself, that sit on the front gril, which used to be made of metal and is now made olf plastic on some recent Ghibli models? Is it the "seata" logo (white and blue oval, with a red trident, and Maserati name) that sits on the front of the hood?

still the same metal one, only ghiblis with the option of the front RADAR have the plastic one, all that trident that some call plastic it is a RADAR in fact like you wrote before

I have with radar and I am very happy with how it is, looks great and not cheap at all.

here a normal for sell in ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-MASERATI-GHIBLI-FRONT-GRILLE-WITH-PDC-SENSORS-EMBLEM-OEM-670010764/202456715070?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D52885%26meid%3Ddeb241fced9c448eb93704a3f1b5f2ac%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D112289837306%26itm%3D202456715070&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yes it is an option with the adaptive cruise control.

Honestly, I think they could have made a nicer logo or move the radar out of the way.

Sorry Geoffrey but I really don't like the logo with the radar in, it looks really cheap compare to the other one. (side by side that is).

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think the radar variant looks awful compared to the metal logo. That said, I LOVE my radar systems and would gladly sacrifice the aesthetics for a better system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rephrase. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't change my choices. I would gladly sacrifice the aesthetics for the highway assist package.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Yes it is an option with the adaptive cruise control.

Honestly, I think they could have made a nicer logo or move the radar out of the way.

Sorry Geoffrey but I really don't like the logo with the radar in, it looks really cheap to compare to the other one. (side by side that is).

Different country's different cultures :)

Here in Europe and especially my country Luxembourg where you find just german cars under stones all over the place, Maserati Still extremely selective for a certain type of client, we don't have a lease or whatever, you want a Maserati you have to pay for it
Like mine my new MY209, I had to take 120.000 euro from my bank to pay for. ( full options)

and if here you have a Maserati with a simple trident ( still plastic) in the front , it means car cheap no options not interesting hard to sell. because it is not just the radar will be the steering wheel without any buttons almost, in my country there is some without radar especially models 2014, because buyers did not know yet 1st the importance of such a system and what value it brings to the car
since then most have radar and in second hand it is one thing buyers watch first, without.. not interesting cheap car.

And also a difference of taste which I respect, luckily I love that thing with radar, especially with the new chrome grill in mine

I had it in my ghibli 2016 ( MY2017) one too

·
Registered
652 Posts

Here in Europe and especially my country Luxembourg where you find just german cars under stones all over the place, Maserati Still extremely selective for a certain type of client, we don't have a lease or whatever, you want a Maserati you have to pay for it
Like mine my new MY209, I had to take 120.000 euro from my bank to pay for. ( full options)

That's the difference between US and Europe, and that's why Maserati (especially Ghibli) gets so much hate in the US.

·
Registered
86 Posts

I agree. Had I known the amount of people who lease this car (here in the US), I might've purchased something else.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
The garage where I bought mine it is only Maserati, they do not have any other brands, they don't mix.
and they are the ONLY one in my country.... yes only one garage Maserati that's it.
That's why when you get a new Maserati, when they call you to come to pick it up or they come pick you up where ever you are, when you arrive at the garage it is a ritual, it is an event for each independent client, they never deliver 2 cars for clients in a morning for example, they split on the days, I got mine in the afternoon because another client got his I think was a Quattroporte in the morning.

The car is exposed in the center of the showroom, with the Maserati cover on it, you cannot see it, and you have to walk nearby by it to go to the office where you still see the car from the glass partitions, I mean you see it covered.
the office it is an extreme luxury, the big seat at the desk where you seat, it is a Maserati, it has the trident on the leather, it is a small touch, but we see it, the desk the walls decorated with beautiful oldtimer Maserati pictures, etc.. very nice, a small table in glass next to the door, has champagne on the ice, and cups and snack and other drinks in the second level of the table if you wish something else, you drink a Laurent-Perrier Millesime 2004, not bad at all, you discuss you sign you pay the car, and gifts time, a bottle of champagne of course Laurent Perrier ( I've put all in the pictures on my topic) doesn't look much.. but it is a 380 euro bottle here (435 dollars) this shows already the touch, then key holder Maserati, an umbrella ghibli The Charger Maserati for the battery - with the connection on the batterie already done, a dvd with all story of the Maserati, Kit emergency, trunk protection mat also already in the car etc.. the directors are there with you and it is very gentleman, after we go to the showroom, the car still covered, we talk, champagne, talk, I can see only the lower part of the wheels that's it, then 2 guys from the garage come and as a ritual, they take the cover of the car in front of you, it is a moment very special, I see my car for the 1st time, there all shinning, it is time to receive the keys, we open doors look inside around we talk, some clients join the event, and then they ask me if I want to be part of the Maserati club Lux, very selective, of course I agreed, every month I receive emails from the club related to events in lux or around, or even for next year a visite to maserati factory with hotel (3 days) it is a great ambiance, so finally I get inside the car, the big glass doors open automatically from the garage, i start the car, of course if you don't know or how to do it , one of the maserati directors tells you or shows you before you start how to start in Sport mode, inside the showroom, the sound it is just amaising - cold start of course, and you finally leave the garage
it is special from the moment you arrive till you leave and not all, I went 1 week ago to have 2 or 3 things arranged in mine, the service how they recive you how you are treated it is just astonishing, from your sofa you can see via the big glass panels the maseratis being served by the mecanics all dress with maserati work cloths. It goes really to the detail.
I hear that in US it is absolutely not like that, it is like a normal car and it is a shame.

You don't see Maserati with stickers or spoilers or neon colored lights so to say or I don't know what, it is not on our culture, because we spend our money to buy a car that we choose and that's how we want it when we receive it and that's how we keep them. 99% of the Maserati in lux are full original.
And yes it is an expensive brand even in maintenance, so not all people even in second hand can afford to drive it, plus insurance very expensive, fuel etc. it is not for all population that's for sure, even if it is more the brand than the car itself that cost such money.
but here in Luxembourg or France or other countries around we love the brand Maserati it is a luxury brand
When I arrived with my other car M6 convertible or the CLS or the M550 at the hotel where they have a very nice restaurant, none came to open the door, a guy just walk a few meters and give me the sign to park here or there.
With the Maserati, as soon as I arrive, directly there is someone to open the doors and take the car to the parking spot, still really special. ( it is just an example, there are many others situations, that I had personally or with my wife)

Like I said, different country's different culture

in the garage .. I took a picture because I would like buy one for my office at home.

mine the day I went pick it up

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's the difference between US and Europe, and that's why Maserati (especially Ghibli) gets so much hate in the US.
There's still not really that many here in the US. Most of the hate is because of internet nonsense, and in the US, we have gotten to a point where it seems that random stuff posted on the internet forms a lot of people's opinions. All of the hate seems to be online (likely mostly by people who drive a Camry or a minivan I'm guessing).

Everyone I have met in person though has had nothing but respect for the car. It's only online where I see people say how overpriced it is, and that it is basically a Dodge with an emblem (if only these idiots knew how wrong they were).

"Car people" here get it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My own caveat with the Ghibli (aside from the fact it's overleased), is that most owners are not true car enthusiasts. They don't know the inner workings of cars. Not enough passion for the machinery in and of itself (and not the brand image).

I've always ran with the M4/RS5/C63 crowd. And when younger, the WRX/Golf R32/370z crowd.
All of whom were truly, deeply passionate and knowledgeable about the car's technicalities.

Reactions: Emathieu

·
Registered
652 Posts
My own caveat with the Ghibli (aside from the fact it's overleased), is that most owners are not true car enthusiasts. They don't know the inner workings of cars. Not enough passion for the machinery in and of itself (and not the brand image).

I've always ran with the M4/RS5/C63 crowd. And when younger, the WRX/Golf R32/370z crowd.
All of whom were truly, deeply passionate and knowledgeable about the car's technicalities.

It's worse. Most of the Ghibli "owners" are brand snobs, with very little financial education, that bought/leased their cars based on the thought process of "Ohh, shiny! I must have it!".

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm not getting this discussion. Leasing does not devalue a brand in any way, shape, or form. I would think it would improve a brand by increasing its adoption rate, financing further R/D, increasing number of dealerships, and lots of other positive things. It is a system that allows a purchaser to only buy that portion of a car they intend to use. If you only want to drive a car for three years, you only buy those three years. If you only want to drive it 30,000 miles, you only buy those miles. It is that simple. Why buy something you have no intention of using? Then those Ghiblis join the used car market, are picked up by new eager owners, who join the ranks of this forum. Win-Win.

I love my leased SQ4 (which exercising my considerable financial education was an excellent deal - the money factor was very low and the discrepancy between the MSRP and the sales price was so large that the lease was a bargain in spite of the low residual value). It is a great car as a unique executive saloon. However, I would not consider it an enthusiast's car. In spite of its sexy exhaust note, it is not a nimble car like an M4/RS5/C63 or Giulia QF. It is nice and big and beautiful and luxurious. It is powerful and has great grip, but its too big to be nimble. I still love my Ghibli, but after leasing it for a few months, I found it did not satisfy my emotional need for a connected driving experience. I was thinking about buying one of those new stick shift Fiata Abarths, but I'm too big for that cramped cockpit. So, I ended up buying a used manual BMW Z4 -- that is fun car to drive, and it provides a real connected driving experience that the Ghibli cannot.

Maybe the problem is that some people are asking the Ghibli to provide them with an experience that it is not intended to provide.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm not getting this discussion.
[...]

Leasing does not devalue a brand in any way, shape, or form. I would think it would improve a brand by increasing its adoption rate.
[...]

Maybe the problem is that some people are asking the Ghibli to provide them with an experience that it is not intended to provide.

You answered your own question.

The Ghibli (just like GranTurismo and Quattroporte) are cars that aren't made to compete with likes of AMGs, Ms, RSs, or other full on performance sub-brands, they are cars that cater to a different kind of clientele.

The problem with cheap leases and the flood of entry level spec cars on the US market devalued the brand indirectly by making Maserati available to more people than before. Unfortunately a lot of those people were posers and status-chasers, that rushed to get their hands on one, without knowing or understanding what Maserati is as a brand, except what they heard in rap songs and seen on TV shows, and when they were faced with the realities of owing a boutique/exotic car, they suffered a shock. I'm sure 99% of people who got a Ghibli would have been better off with a BMW/Merc/Audi, but they've seen the "ooh shiny" trident and they got blinded by it. Just take a look on the Facebook groups and you'll see what the expectations and complaints are.

I wasn't a big fan of marchionne, in fact I'm glad he is gone, but it's too soon to know if this marketing strategy irreparably damaged the brand, or the tenfold increase in sales in the past few years saved it from certain death and will prove a good thing for the future.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The disussion about leasing is all plain bullshit. Did you know that the vast majority of Rolls Royce Phantoms is leased? With the logic of some of you this would devalue the brand. Come on guys, this is silly.

All this talk about „knowing what this brand is for“ is ridiculous. I certainly love my Maserati but i for sure have not bought it to satisfy any expectations to the brand. I just love the sound and design of the car. Same with my Mustang GT. Interestingly, similar discussions are going on in Mustang Boards...

So maybe it‘s about to justify your own need to be special by arguing that the car is „better“ in a way than other cars?

P.S.: Sorry for my english but I‘m jetlagged in Nepal right now... ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree. This conversation is uneducated at best
rediculous elitism at worse I have purchased 100+k cars and I have leased them. It simply depends upon what makes the most financial sense. I own my Ghibli. That said the posted arguments are laughable. I have considered leases on every brand and vehicle I can think of.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts