Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
You guys are COMPLETELY missing the point.
It's not about lease as a financial instrument, it's about the fact that in the US they pushed super low leases (I've seen ads with leases lower than Alfa Giulias) and people that weren't prepared for owning a car from a boutique manufacturer went for it just because of the badge, having the wrong expectations (maintenance, quality, purpose). That's what generated all the hate and the depreciation.
This isn't about elitism either, it's about knowing what you get and being prepared for it.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I agree with you Toshy

well it is my opinion only, and concerning my country or countries around here but

Maserati for me it is like a 3 start Restaurant ( many people don't know even what does it means) so many people used to normal fast food restaurants one day they can afford to go to a 3 start Restaurant, and then they complain and say it is rubbish and extremely expensive, because there were only minuscule food portions on the plate.

If Maserati it is well-seen here and also desirable, it is not just because of the brand name, it is because of the kind of people that drive it that own it. It is the owners of the Maserati cars that make that car special, who we are, how we drive.
I drive very often relax with, only at 125kmh - 77 78 mph in a no speed limit highway I could drive flat out and be legal, but I don't want because it is not how I love the cars, I don't need to show to anyone this car, this car I love it even driving slow with, even just stopped in my garage I love it. others buy cars just for how it looks and how the people will see it, inside maybe it is ridiculous, no luxury no nothing,, but only the outside counts, I am not from that world
Here it is simple, leasing a Maserati or higher it is extremely expensive, the residual value it is so poor that is incredibably expensive, and seeing all the other brands around like BMW Mercedes Audi Porsche Jaguar, none take a Maserati in leasing, and the leasing it is possible only for companies, No private leasing for maserati brand or rolls etc, because they are considered exotic brands, this to avoid people getting a Maserati in leasing and then struggling with money at the end of the month, here, everything is controlled, so those that have a Maserati or even a few, everybody knows in the country that it is because they can they can afford it they can drive it, also only a few people buy Maserati ( 30 maserati sold in total last year) we all know that they buy it because they love the cars as they are, it is a hard choice, you can have for the same price, a Porche Panamera or 997 the brand new ones, you can have a brand new MY2019 CLS AMG, you can have the new bmw 750L a Jaguar XJ full option which is a dream car, all respecting a high level of luxury and technology, so going to a maserati with all that choices it becomes a very stritly personal choice and that's it!
I apologize I don't want disrespect anyone one here in the forum, i speak about the culture in other countries outside the US, but here the owners of Maserati specially bought new, are just Doctors Architects Directors Boss Judges Ministers etc.. nothing else, very selective brand.
It is not to show in the parking of the supermarket or to the neighborhood, or for doing burnouts, racing, it is absolutely a brand not for that kind of people I am speaking in my country, a Maserati it is more for people that drive different that like refinement and class, different life standings.

how can someone believe that buying a Ghibli he buys a Race car? ?? it is all wrong, this is a car for cruising it is a car of personal choice.
You cannot compare this car technologically with German brands because it is the worst, the sunroof even doesn't close by himself if it rains, or close at night if you forget open, this exists in the Mercedes since 10 years, just to say, way behind, ok so Performance? No it is not performant at all to be compared to other cars like AMGS M, etc, no way, it is a big car and very heavy, don't look the manual owner, every Ghibli has a different weight depending on options wheels etc, mine his real weight at the balance done in my country with all levels correct and fill up including fuel tank, 2010KG, with me.... 2100kg, this is not a weight of a race car

if you love really a Ghibli you love everything including the performance it gives TO YOU only. My Ghibli it is the second one, I love all on it and I will not modify or touch anything on it. It is a car that feet on my taste and lifestyle so I bought it new full options because it is inside where I drive and I love have everything like at home.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would agree about the cheap leases. But that was allowed by Maserati. They were trying to drive sales and build the brand. Which certainly happened. I would personally not mind seeing the base ghibli go away and the S becoming the base model with a GTS V8 at the top of the line. But I do not get to make these decisions. The manufacturer likely gives 0 cares about what happens to the value once it is sold by the dealership. That said, Maserati has NEVER held value on the modern production vehicles. When I was looking for a Granturismo several years before Ghibli that trend was apparent.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well written Geoffrey Fake!
I for one am on my second Ghibli.
2014 SQ4
2018 GranSport
I love them.
Hoping for a V8 GTS or Trofeo version next, or a wait and see Alfieri.
AMG, M, or RS versions of Germans not in the cards.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I hope they keep the V8's because more and more regulations are asking for downsizing engines, which even downsized is still very powerful with much less fuel consumption etc ... that's what is happening on the Ghibli on the Quattroporte and probably on the future Granturismo, with probably a V6 hardcore. - maybe 550hp or more

look the Alfa it is a V6 and gets 510hp

But yes I love the V8 or V10 ( had both in a few cars) or even V12 why not? still, the regulations are more and more strick so the brands they have to apply

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
From a product standpoint, I agree with most everyone:

They need to stop 'cheap' leases (699 a month!). Maserati of Newport Beach/Anaheim Hills in California are huge offenders of this, stocking tons of base models and writing very aggressive leases.

Maserati also needs to slowly phaseout the FIAT parts bin. The shifter change in 2019 was fantastic and the direction they need to go.

If I pull up to the airport in my Maserati, people look. I... may purposely drive it to pick people up for this very reason... but that is beside the point. Last time, people were looking in the window to figure out who it was.

For the negative comments, while bored, I went and checked into a lot of those youtuber comments. Most are just aspirational kids, know the cars, live in Kansas with a white picket fence, middle class, don't have enough money to play ball, Audi dealership is 1 hour away, and babble about the Chrysler parts bin because Doug DeMuro did. Just realize they'll never own anything past a Honda Accord.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't know about you, but I'm feeling' kinda of an elitist air around here.

How dare those lowly peasants contemplate driving a Maserati like me. Only people with titles of nobility, landed estates, and sizable trust funds should be able to drive a Maaserrate'. Away with you commoner, with your $699/mo lease and your base model un-optioned Ghibli.
By the way $699 is way too much. Base models were going for $488/mo two years ago!!! And I think that's great. Power To The People!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I don't know about you, but I'm feeling' kinda of an elitist air around here.

By the way $699 is way too much. Base models were going for $488/mo two years ago!!! And I think that's great. Power To The People!
You're actually right. Top Gear (BBC version) noted this sentiment in their Levante review:

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/maserati/levante

"One of the problems Maserati is battling is that potential owners think the Levante is too cheap – they expect to pay more. Nice problem to have."

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
well even not 500 dollars lease for a new Maserati ? it is decreasing the brand to a Toyota or Mazda level so normal that it becomes a regular car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did any of you look into those leases? They are generally terrible deals with large upfront cost out of pocket ans low milage. Sheesh guys. This is a 100k car when it is fully optioned. This is not a frikin Bugatti. The lease terms are in line with many other cars at this price point.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I still don't get why Levante SUVs Get better performances than their other cars (trofeo) . I would assume a 3.5 sec 0-100 isn't something you need to achieve with a big 4x4 but more with a Grand Turismo or a gransport Ghibli. I don't get this point at all. They really need to bring this engine to their other models. I don't need my SUV to perform like a supercar...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Slightly off topic, but I still don't get why Levante SUVs Get better performances than their other cars (trofeo) . I would assume a 3.5 sec 0-100 isn't something you need to achieve with a big 4x4 but more with a Grand Turismo or a gransport Ghibli. I don't get this point at all. They really need to bring this engine to their other models. I don't need my SUV to perform like a supercar...
Probably because of margins and the SUV craze right now in the US. I'd imagine a leased 180k Levante is a goldmine for Maserati. Once gas prices go up, it'll be back to small cars for a majority of this country.

I'd also ask why do they have the gran lusso format? There are a ton of leftovers from 2018.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
111 Posts
The lease has nothing to do with elitism - it is a function of recovering the original cost of the car minus the resale, with enough baked in to make money for the lessor. If the lease is high, it is because the resale for these cars is low. They don't hold value because of cost of maintenance and fear of expensive repairs.

I have never been a believer in leases - of paying mortgage prices for three years and having nothing to show for it at the end. In the last fifteen years I either buy used and let someone else eat the depreciation, or pay cash for new. As you can tell from my signature, I have a bad habit of buying and then keeping my cars for a long time. Each serves a different purpose, and each one I love in a different way. Expect my Ghibli to be around for a long time even as Maserati continues to improve the product.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts