Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody heard of a fix for the situation where the entrance for a gas nozzle freezes or locks and you are unable to put gas in the car? This is a serious problem for those of us in cold climates.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had a similar issue happen several times and just drove for awhile and went back later and the flap lock released. Make sure you always have enough gas when it sits outside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
May have found a solution

As it turns out, Maserati includes a plastic funnel in the spare tire kit. It seems that maybe Maserati knows about this design flaw after all? Anyway, I stuck the funnel into the opening for the gas, and it unfroze it, enabling the car to be filled with gas. Happiest I have been to spend $50 to fill up.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just saw your post first thing the salesman told me after finishing paperwork was the funnel in the trunk to use it when the gas tank freezes lol

·
Registered
652 Posts
As it turns out, Maserati includes a plastic funnel in the spare tire kit. It seems that maybe Maserati knows about this design flaw after all? Anyway, I stuck the funnel into the opening for the gas, and it unfroze it, enabling the car to be filled with gas. Happiest I have been to spend $50 to fill up.
Is it the regular pump you're using to fill up? I'm asking because if you managed to open it with the funnel, it sounds more like a pump problem, rather than your car's fuel door being frozen.
A few months ago I got to a gas station and had the same issue. It turns out the pump nozzle tip was a bit bent or something, and it wouldn't open the door because of that. Fortunately a gas station assistant told me that a lot of cars with capless fuel doors had problem with that particular pump, and told me to use the pump on the other side - which, magically, worked.

·
Registered
644 Posts
that specific funnel is to use a gas can in case of running out of gas it it wouldn't have a nozzle long enough/correct enough to reach through the double flaps of the capless neck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anybody heard of a fix for the situation where the entrance for a gas nozzle freezes or locks and you are unable to put gas in the car? This is a serious problem for those of us in cold climates.
Mine is frozen now..... I don't have the one that came with the car but I purchased one and it didn't work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
May have found a solution

How did the funnel fit if the metal gas flap is shut as mines is. I can’t fit anything into it it’s stuck in closed position

1 - 14 of 14 Posts