Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link:

2014 Maserati Ghibli S Q4 Full Test – Review – Car and Driver

A very disappointing review overall. I found many of the reasoning in the review asinine, such as questioning why there isn't a rotating knob to control the MTC functions, and lamenting that the car's throttle isn't responsive in non-sport mode.

They also got the car's performance measurement competition wrong. Who cross-shops the Ghibli with an S6 and CTS? The CLS-550 is a much better match and you'll notice the test data shows Ghibli compares favorably against it. The S6 and CTS should have been replaced with the A7 and Gran Coupe, or possibly the Panamera.

I found the comments regarding the seats odd. Are the ventilated seats that much more uncomfortable than the regular seats? I know I hated the heated steering wheel as the wood trim ridge made it very uncomfortable, so this is entirely possible.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
It is amazing how polarizing the car seems to be.

I only buy leather with A/C ventilation and live in NE so CW package is usually a given for me. Ghibli's on inventory are in short supply with either or both of them as far as I have found and so have not had 'hands-on' experience

The reviewers remarks about front seats contrasted with my driving experience

"....The front buckets have center sections that feel like leather wrapped around planks of mahogany. And these boards protrude, always pushing you out of the seat and leaving your upper back and shoulders dangling unsupported. After an hour, our backs were in spastic revolt..."

has anyone actually driven one with ventilated seats?

I note also that you do not like the feel of the wood; is it all the way around or just at the top of wheel, as it has been in many of my previous vehicles? Given the airbags in modern cars the '20 to 4' hand position is (IMO) the only way to drive as it is safer (in case of dpoloyment) and allows you to rest hands on thighs etc, compared to the 10 to 9 positon and for me has always been way more comfortable

Any onwe

·
Registered
140 Posts
I agree this was a less-than-stellar review, but we all knew what we were getting into by buying a first-year model from a company used to manufacturing in small quantities. As long as we're all happy - and most of us seem to be (for the most part) - I'm not going to pay much attention to these articles. The articles I've read about production and sales figures imply Maserati is doing just fine with regard to initial targets.

Incidentally, I did cross-shop the S6. As a long-time Audi owner, I needed a sedan with more space than my previous S5 coupe. I looked at the S7 and RS7, as well, and agree that the S7 is probably a more reasonable competitor.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I note also that you do not like the feel of the wood; is it all the way around or just at the top of wheel, as it has been in many of my previous vehicles? Given the airbags in modern cars the '20 to 4' hand position is (IMO) the only way to drive as it is safer (in case of dpoloyment) and allows you to rest hands on thighs etc, compared to the 10 to 9 positon and for me has always been way more comfortable
I drove a loaner for a few days and the loaner had a steering wheel with inset wood all the way around the steering wheel. The problem is that the strip of wood is flanked on both sides by a big seams. It just didn't feel comfortable or reassuring. It looked okay, I just didn't like it.

·
Administrator
2,521 Posts
I have the cold weather package with the matching wood insert in the leather steering wheel.

I never really gave two thoughts to the wood trim. The wheel has a very soft leather and not quite flush with wood trim insert. There are only two 'stitched" seams at the 10 and 2 position ... hardly noticeable to me, (until you mentioned and I went out to my car to check it out).

I actually like the details of the wood trim insert ... adds a nice touch. Warms up quickly.

I wonder if your loaner was atypical of the steering wheel?

My seats are firm, supportive and comfortable, although not as cushy as the big lazy boy loungers in my Cadillac.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Maserti's AWD system is revolutionary in its dynamic nature especially for sports oriented driving as it virtually eliminates over/under steer............and its application in winter conditions has been attested to on this forum...............Oh and did I forget it is a MASERATI!!!!! I own a MASERATI!! have not said that in a while I feel so much better!!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
On the bright side of these not-so-good reviews...our cars will remain exclusive as people who purchase a car based upon a complete strangers opinion will probably buy something more mainstream.

And Etodd is right...we own a MASERATI!!!!

Makes me tingly inside every time I say it :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Maserati's approach to AWD is pretty unique and I don't read a lot about it -- perhaps it is because so few people truly appreciate it. Note: 99% of reviewers miss this point about the S Q4, not to mention that the 51/49 weight distribution makes it one of the most balanced sport sedans on the road.

Written last year, this is one of the better articles that explain this:

2014 Maserati Ghibli First Drive on Edmunds.com

Combined with the eight speed ZF transmission, one of the very best on the market, the S Q4 is primarily RWD until needed and then dynamically transfers traction to the front wheels. "The torque-vectoring AWD system is tuned for rear-drive fun. According to Maserati, the power rarely ventures beyond 35 percent to the front wheels, and never more than 50/50. And unlike most AWD systems, the S Q4 doesn't hamper driving fun with added understeer, or the complete elimination of corner-exit oversteer."

"Sure, the Ghibli's interior needs more polish, but the straight-line speed is there and the Maser will take a carving knife to the class when the road gets twisty." (Now that is well put: "it takes a carving knife to the class" of cars it is typically compared against -- if that doesn't put it in the exotic class then I don't know what does. [Reviewers -- are you reading this?] S Q4 owners -- think about that statement next time when you are on the twisties!)

"But is there even a need to cross-shop a Maserati Ghibli? Simply get in, sit down, thumb the left-side starter button and breathe it all in as those quad exhausts bark to life. If you get tingly with excitement, you've found your new sport sedan."

·
Registered
112 Posts
Guys:
As far as I am concerned, this guy, Ivan Capelli (Former Formula 1 Driver) who gives the car a great review knows a little bit more about driving than any of those desk jockey journalists at Car & Driver.
Amen! (spsesq, thanks for sharing;))

Very informative. Ivan Capelli provides a superb explanation of what makes the Ghibli so great:

50/50 weight distribution
ZF transmission
torque vectoring AWD
Ferrari engine
6 piston Brembo brakes
tuned exhaust system
superb handling
great acceleration & lots of torque

Guys, is this an exotic or not?

'nuff said!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I love how he takes it right up to the red line...oh that sound!!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
The C&D reviewer is completely off his rocker with regards to the seats.
I'm 6'3" and I could sleep on those seats.

·
Administrator
2,521 Posts
I just spent 200 miles in those Cuoio seats and they were very comfortable for the whole round trip. If you adjust them correctly they fit like a glove. I'm also 6'3" and those seats accommodate me nicely, (leg room and head space). As an aside ... 24.2 mpg for the 200 miles ... not too bad.

Reactions: Spsesq and tjsbeer

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Reactions: Spsesq

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
IMO a more accurate review of our car, especially the earlier 2014s - brief bur fair (Maybe I am biased because it shows off the interior leather colors I am getting on the 2015)

BTW, In case translation is required, the word 'sorted' is one of the most common in the UK vernacular meaning fixed, taken care of or sorted out.

and another sage review (can be found on PistonHead thread)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgybM03RuP8

yet another very positive review about our baby

this also extolls the praises of the Ghibli

and who can resist this one

Watch multiple times and select full review and use the CC option to get full benefit

IMO another fair review:

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/la...-66-000-ghibli-luxury-sedan-article-1.1781928

Reactions: Spsesq

·
Registered
305 Posts
There is a test between the Ghibli diesel and BMW 535 in the latest CAR magazine. The general gist is that the BMW is a more resolved vehicle though representative of a middle management photocopier salesman. The Ghibli though flawed is a valid alternative and presents a brilliant case for itself to those sick of the bland same again German alternatives.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts