Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I joined this forum last week and I already need the help of some of the experts on here, unfortunately!

A bit of background, I've had the car less than 2 months - it's a 2016 model and obviously I absolutely love it. I can't fault the car although last week, it developed a fault of it's own and I can't get the bottom of it, mainly because my technical knowledge of cars is non-existent!

I drive the car in Normal mode for the vast majority of the time, and only used Sports mode a couple of times. Because of lockdown, my journeys have mainly consisted of doing the school run, which is a roughly 10/15 minute drive each away. And then sometimes I have to go to the supermarket which is only about 5 minutes away, etc. So during the last 2 months all I've done is short journeys.

So on Friday, still driving in Normal mode, I noticed that for the first time that when I would come to traffic lights or a junction and put my foot on the break, the engine just stopped - and the green / yellow 'A' symbol appeared on the right hand side of the dashboard. I thought that's weird, and it kept happening that day. I assume that this is the stop / start feature when the car is in I.C.E mode? On Friday, this was happening in Normal mode!

I didn't use the car on Saturday, and then on Sunday when I tried to start the car is when the problems started! I put my foot on the brake, pushed the start button and the dashboard went mental, just flickering on and off and the wipers started going by themselves. The engine wouldn't start and then I couldn't even lock the car. It kept doing that for about an hour and then it died.

I had to call Green Flag (roadside assistance) and they jump started the car, after about half an hour. The guy said that the battery was dead, but he wasn't sure why. He did some diagnostics and said that the battery itself was fine, so just to leave the car running for an hour and that should re-charge the battery again.

I left the car running for an hour and then took it on a drive on Sunday, and it was running fine. But this morning (Monday) I took my little one to school again and when we got to the lights, the engine stopped when I put my foot on the brake again and the 'A' symbol appeared again!

Considering this happened on Friday and then the battery died, does this mean it's about to happen again!?

Any help at all would be hugely appreciated, especially as I'm supposed to pick up my little one from school later this afternoon and don't want the car to die again! 馃槶

Registered
Hello. The car automatically shuts off in normal mode to save gas. The auto shut off is automatically turned off in sport mode. You can turn this on and off in the settings if it is bothersome.

Registered
Hi Austin,
My advice is to turn off this flemming S/S permanently.
It is done via the MTC+ screen on mine.
You then get an orange A with a circle and a cross at the bottom left hand side of the screen.

S/S does not work is the battery is too weak, which sounds like your issue.
On mine I had to change the battery after 3 years!!!

Super Moderator
I replaced my battery after 3.5 years. I had a couple weird experiences where car was hard to start and lights flashing on dash. Charged battery overnight and took to dealer who said it was within specification.
I knew it wasn't right, so had them change it to the new AGM type battery (out of pocket) and that solved the problem for me. The early Ghibli's had Lead Acid batteries ... new ones come with AGM.

Reactions: Austin

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the helpful advice guys! :)

So you would recommend to permanently disable the stop / start function, as using it put a lot of strain on the battery?

And when it comes time to replace the battery, how much should I be looking at paying?

Registered
Hi Austin,
Yes disable permanently, I have done so from day one. The only thing I don't like is the not discreet sign on the dash. But you get used to it.

This is the one I put in place.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Fredvr, so you think having the stop / start on lead to the problem with my battery?

Also, I hear the terms MY14 and AGM being used, I assume these are the types of batteries different Ghibli models have? And is AGM better than MY14? My car is a 2016 so does anyone know which battery it would have?

Many thanks again!

Registered
Mine is a 2017, it's the same battery, it was AGM when new, it did not last long.
MY14?
G14 is the format of the Varta battery.

Super Moderator
Thank you Fredvr, so you think having the stop / start on lead to the problem with my battery?

Also, I hear the terms MY14 and AGM being used, I assume these are the types of batteries different Ghibli models have? And is AGM better than MY14? My car is a 2016 so does anyone know which battery it would have?

Many thanks again!
I suspect MY14 is Model Year 2014 ... it's commonly used abbreviation on the forum, (which I use too).

Reactions: Austin

Registered
Hi,

BeerGuy is correct. It's likely the battery. I had a similar issue with my 2018, the Auto Stop feature would kick the car back on during stops even though I was still stopped and then on cold starts the dash would go crazy.

I took it in and the dealership said it needed a new battery. They said when the car is in Auto Stop the car is only running off the battery and if it detects the battery is low it may kick back on or not work correctly. So disabling the auto stop feature will likely only be a temporary fix and you'll start get the dash craziness soon so your best bet is to install a new car battery, they can die pretty quickly. My car only had 17k miles on it and needed a new one. If you get a new battery get an Interstate battery, they last longer.

Registered
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Couple of things. The stop/start cannot be permanently disabled. You have to do it from the MTC+, the right steering wheel control, or run in Sport mode. (Check manual for how to do the first two.) I despise this function and was using MTC+ to disable it but forgot a few times, and surprisingly my car has never shut off at a light. I have to believe that the constant re-start wears down a battery faster. And +++ on the AGM. They are a sealed gel and will not leak or overflow acid.

Registered
2014 Maserati Ghibli S
I also agree, ...when electronic items start acting up, it leads to consider battery replacement. My MY14 started to show incorrect dates in the dash cluster, being a day or two behind.
I guess I was fortunate to have my original battery last 6 years. It really started dying during the stay at home situation, when I wasn鈥檛 driving much.
I replaced with the Interstate 49/H8 AGM and I鈥檓 pleased with it鈥檚 performance. Very easy to replace.

Registered
I also agree, ...when electronic items start acting up, it leads to consider battery replacement. My MY14 started to show incorrect dates in the dash cluster, being a day or two behind.
I guess I was fortunate to have my original battery last 6 years. It really started dying during the stay at home situation, when I wasn鈥檛 driving much.
I replaced with the Interstate 49/H8 AGM and I鈥檓 pleased with it鈥檚 performance. Very easy to replace.

Yup same didn't happen until the shut downs. It seems that the car sitting kills the battery much quicker.

Also weird that if the battery is failing the dash goes crazy. You would think that the car just wouldn't start or it wouldn't affect the dash. All my service lights would come on and the wipers would turn on until the battery charged. 馃ぃ馃ぃ so I would be sitting in my parking lot for a minute and pretend like I had the wipers on on purpose until they shut off. Deff embarrassing.

Weird Italian car problems.

Registered
Hi Dreamer, normal that the electronic goes crazy with low voltage.
All new cars stuffed with electronics do this Christmas tree dashboard when battery if too low.

@Union, Ghiblis in Europe Stop/Start can be permanently disabled, probably not in the States because of some regulation.
Some other brands however, you have to disable it at every start of the engine, a real pain.

Registered
@Union, Ghiblis in Europe Stop/Start can be permanently disabled, probably not in the States because of some regulation.
Some other brands however, you have to disable it at every start of the engine, a real pain.
How do you permanently disable the Start/Stop in a Euro spec Ghibli?
From what I have seen, whether you do it from MTC+ or with the button next to gear selector, it disables Start/Stop only until the next restart of the engine. If you switch off the engine and switch it on again, Start/Stop will be back to being enabled.

Registered
All,
The problems with your cars will continue if you do not drive them. If they sit in the garage, they are going to have mechanical and electrical problems. Mine is a 2017 and I have 37000 miles on it with zero problems and I鈥檝e done 2 oil changes thus far, air filters, 4 brake pads and 4 tires. I drive it every single day (apart from the current pandemic situation). These cars are solid and the key is to 鈥渄rive them鈥.
Now, there was a recall with the auto start/stop that it would shut down and not start up and it happened to me a couple of times and Maserati dealer took care of that recall at first oil change a couple of years ago.

if you are absolutely not going to drive the car then I suggest that you put it on a trickle charger. It would preserve your battery and not cause these electrical issues.

Registered
Hi guys, I joined this forum last week and I already need the help of some of the experts on here, unfortunately!

A bit of background, I've had the car less than 2 months - it's a 2016 model and obviously I absolutely love it. I can't fault the car although last week, it developed a fault of it's own and I can't get the bottom of it, mainly because my technical knowledge of cars is non-existent!

I drive the car in Normal mode for the vast majority of the time, and only used Sports mode a couple of times. Because of lockdown, my journeys have mainly consisted of doing the school run, which is a roughly 10/15 minute drive each away. And then sometimes I have to go to the supermarket which is only about 5 minutes away, etc. So during the last 2 months all I've done is short journeys.

So on Friday, still driving in Normal mode, I noticed that for the first time that when I would come to traffic lights or a junction and put my foot on the break, the engine just stopped - and the green / yellow 'A' symbol appeared on the right hand side of the dashboard. I thought that's weird, and it kept happening that day. I assume that this is the stop / start feature when the car is in I.C.E mode? On Friday, this was happening in Normal mode!

I didn't use the car on Saturday, and then on Sunday when I tried to start the car is when the problems started! I put my foot on the brake, pushed the start button and the dashboard went mental, just flickering on and off and the wipers started going by themselves. The engine wouldn't start and then I couldn't even lock the car. It kept doing that for about an hour and then it died.

I had to call Green Flag (roadside assistance) and they jump started the car, after about half an hour. The guy said that the battery was dead, but he wasn't sure why. He did some diagnostics and said that the battery itself was fine, so just to leave the car running for an hour and that should re-charge the battery again.

I left the car running for an hour and then took it on a drive on Sunday, and it was running fine. But this morning (Monday) I took my little one to school again and when we got to the lights, the engine stopped when I put my foot on the brake again and the 'A' symbol appeared again!

Considering this happened on Friday and then the battery died, does this mean it's about to happen again!?

Any help at all would be hugely appreciated, especially as I'm supposed to pick up my little one from school later this afternoon and don't want the car to die again! 馃槶

lol i had EXACTLY THE SAME issue.
the Auto-stop/start can be turned off by menu on your main screen (between rpm and speedometer).
when weather is cold, to keep engine warm, this function will not be turned on and also when its on sports mode.

this car has common battery issue.
my car didnt start one time after 3days of standing, i ended it up getting biggest and strongest battery jumper form advanced auto parts. after jump, car works just fine and had no problem ever since. but i carry it in my trunk all the time just in case. :(

i live in apartment, and garage doesn鈥檛 have a plug for batter charger. if you can have plug your car with battery charger, i would recommend that.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for your replies, you have all been really helpful!

As @Fredvr has said, it seems that I can permanently disable the feature by using the buttons on the right side of the steering wheel. As @Preetham has stated, you can disable auto stop / start using the menu on MTC+ which is on the main dashboard.

It's strange because for the first 2 months of driving, it wasn't enabled and it wouldn't stop / start when the car stopped. Then on this random Friday it started doing it and I didn't understand what was going on, because I've never seen the feature appear before, which lead to the dead battery two days later.

Every time I start the car now (I use it on a daily basis), I just double-check to see if it is enabled or disabled, and it always seems to save my preference and it is disabled. Which leads me to wonder:

(a) why did it suddenly and randomly enable itself on that random day? and (b) should it remember that I've disabled it? As it seems like a few people on here are saying that it is automatically enabled every time you start the car?

Registered
as of my experience, even though i turn it off from my steering wheel, when i re-start my car, it comes back on. i read from manual saying this function depends on the weather. when its cold outside it won鈥檛 turn off the engine even when you hit brake hard.

Registered
I am not 100% sure of the differences between Euro and U.S. Spec, but my 2016 U.S. SQ4, you cannot permanently disable the Start/Stop from the MTC, or anywhere else. The two options I have are turn off via the steering wheel or use Sport Mode every time. It enables itself each time the car is turned off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts