Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

Car won’t start, not sitting for a while

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  brikov1 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
Last Monday I had gone out to my ‘15 Ghibli and attempted to start it. I had a bunch of different lights come on the dashboard, about the battery, servicing the headlight system, that the key or accessory wasn’t nearby, etc. I had heard that this were symptoms of a low battery and my batteries voltage WAS below 12V so I went through and replaced it.

After replacement, the car started up first try. I had thought this was it and started driving normally.

I had driven the car about 280 miles this past weekend from my families house back to mine, and no issues throughout my trip and weekend.

I live in an apartment complex and to unload my boxes/stuff out of my car, I frequently park it in the garage and carry things throughthe elevator. When I park it, I turn the hazards on and turn the car off. This wasn’t an issue previously and I had done this many times in the past.

After the unloading was done, I went to go turn the car on and it wouldn’t start - same symptoms as prior to the battery change.

I tested the voltage of the battery with a multimeter and saw it was 12.7 V, so plenty of charge. I unhooked the negative terminal from the battery, let it rest for a few mins, and then hooked the terminal back up. The car then started.

I walk out this morning to start my car and same issues - Christmas lights on the dash and car won’t start. I remove the negative terminal from the battery and then reattach it - but same symptoms. Car still won’t start. Could it be the battery or something else?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have brought it to a European repair shop that I know of in the area.

The mechanic informed me this is probably the anti-theft system kicking in and preventing the car from starting. He informed me that I needed to keep the computer powered when replacing the battery so I can flash the computer with it's current state after battery replacement - failure to do so puts the car into limp mode and it won't start because it thinks it's being stolen.

Anyways, we'll see what happens. I'll update the thread once I know more.

#3 ·
For the computer to reset after battery change is astronomical in this car. Just drive no accessories. Leave lights on auto. Give it about 30 plus start and stops before it's right. My buddy owns the Ferrari Maserati dealership. Says for some reason common in your year. I have a 2014 and that's not a issue on my year.

#5 ·
Apparently there is something wrong with the charging system. The mechanic I took it to, despite focusing on high end European cars, can’t seem to solve it. So I have been asked to take it to Steven’s Creek Maserati near where I live.

Fingers crossed it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg but if it does, I might be migrating out of Maserati ownership somewhat soon. Thank you for all your help on this forum - will let you know final decisions!

#7 ·
Does the 2015 provide diagnostics like voltage, oil temp and pressure, etc from the right-hand wheel toggle? If so, keep an eye on your voltage when driving to determine if it is charging. Alternately (pun intended), you can buy inexpensive digital voltimeters that plug into the cigar lighter and provide fairly accurate readings. Finally, unless it is too late, you might visit an Autozone or equivalent - in my area they provide free battery and alternator testing (and will read engine codes).

#9 ·
So I cleaned all the connections on the battery, including the cords you remove when taking off the positive cables/extra things Maserati provides.
After a cleaning of the connections and recabling everything, she started up fine and worked ever since, no issues 🤷‍♂️

At least I know how to change my battery now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.