Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone look at the carbon fiber interior yet (on the G or other Maser models)? I normally don't go for the "boy-racer" carbon fiber look of most interiors, but it seems to look pretty nice in the pics online. big question: is it real carbon fiber, or a "carbon-fiber lookalike" plastic material common to a lot of cheaper Japanese cars?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow - that looks seriously nice! And I think it is actual carbon fiber (or at least cf over plastic).

·
Registered
76 Posts
it looks to be real carbon fiber from these pictures
i do keep up with the latest trends and modifications and can tell if it's fake CF vinyl or real CF.

another possibility is that this is carbon fiber layered with a plastic shell underneath

·
Registered
258 Posts
Given that the carbon fiber trim is $2880 over the base mirror trim, and $1440 over the S Q4 wood trim, I would expect it to be real carbon fiber, and not a simulated finish. Whether the carbon fiber is woven over an underlying plastic form is really not all that important. In fact, I would prefer it to be done that way since such a plastic form would be easier to incorporate proper mounting tabs than a pure carbon fiber + epoxy construction.

·
Registered
71 Posts
its also worth noting that the wood trim looks a little cheap in person. Maybe im spoiled because Audi really nailed their interiors recently but none the less

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's a lot of money for the carbon fiber interior option. It does look nice though. Given the option I would choose to go with wood. I didn't realize the wood trim looks cheap in person though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
That's a lot of money for the carbon fiber interior option. It does look nice though. Given the option I would choose to go with wood. I didn't realize the wood trim looks cheap in person though.
It depends WHICH wood trim. The glossy wood trim looks as good or better then anyone of the Germans. The standard "Open Pore" wood which is matte not glossy does look cheap IMO.

·
Registered
852 Posts
The matte wood (open Pore) I have seen and looks like crap. I saw the Ebano on the QP which is the same as the Ghibli (so I was told by my salesmen) and I thought it was very very nice. Always liked the look of wood and could never get to like carbon fiber.... and Ebano is $390 done in my book!

·
Registered
324 Posts
All a matter of taste... IMHO the high gloss wood looks dated already (my Audis have had better, but similar trim for more than a decade). Carbon fiber's days are numbered as well I'm afraid -- was slick when ferarris were plastered with the stuff 6 years ago, now it has that disco vibe. Again completely a matter of taste.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had glossy wood in the BMW and MB cars I've owned. They are fairly common and tough to keep clean, especially with kids. I've gotten the habit of tucking away a piece of microfiber cleaning cloth in the side door pocket just to keep the wood in the center console clean.

So I've gone with the open pore wood in the Ghibli. It looked great when I saw it in person.

To each their own - there is no wrong choice here. The wheels... that's an entirely different matter. :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had glossy wood in the BMW and MB cars I've owned. They are fairly common and tough to keep clean, especially with kids. I've gotten the habit of tucking away a piece of microfiber cleaning cloth in the side door pocket just to keep the wood in the center console clean.

So I've gone with the open pore wood in the Ghibli. It looked great when I saw it in person.

To each their own - there is no wrong choice here. The wheels... that's an entirely different matter. :D
I agree on the open pore wood, its just a different look to high gloss wood. IMO glossy wood is far too common now a days so open pore is where yo should be if looking to differentiate ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts