Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much did you pay? Was it Oil and Filter only? Or did it include the air filters as well?

Thanks!

Hey NotACarGuy, yeah, just oil and filter, (they also tried to sell a bunch of extra services which were way expensive), but the cost of the oil, filter change, adding oil additives BG109, BG110 was about $380. This compared to $700 at dealership, without those additives I suspect.

Since I declined the other maint. services, they didn't want to reset my maint. alert, but I can do that myself so I'm not going to play hardball on that topic. On the positive side, I learned about GDI, gasoline direct injection, (they were trying to sell this intake valve cleaning service for every 12 months at a cost of parts/labor of about $292. I might consider that, as I've been reading up and watching several videos on this, as well as looking into oil catch cans which look very important, especially for a turbo powered engine, and on top of that, a tuned turbo engine. I'm going to start a thread today on that topic.

If you are in central Texas/Austin area, just be sure to make it clear you "only" want the oil change and filter, get a quote for just that, and ask them up front about the maint. reset. They gave me some song and dance about.. "if we don't do all the recommended maint, you have a wreck and sue us, bla, bla, bla.. " I had to laugh to myself later.. great marketing..

PS: The oil change they do is sucking the oil out, and not dropping the bottom engine cover plate, which is a major pain in *ss with about a dozen screws, and way messier of a job. I checked oil, and it was very clean, so I'm okay with this, but I may just buy this tool myself later on and avoid the paid service all together possibly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey NotACarGuy, yeah, just oil and filter, (they also tried to sell a bunch of extra services which were way expensive), but the cost of the oil, filter change, adding oil additives BG109, BG110 was about $380. This compared to $700 at dealership, without those additives I suspect.

Since I declined the other maint. services, they didn't want to reset my maint. alert, but I can do that myself so I'm not going to play hardball on that topic. On the positive side, I learned about GDI, gasoline direct injection, (they were trying to sell this intake valve cleaning service for every 12 months at a cost of parts/labor of about $292. I might consider that, as I've been reading up and watching several videos on this, as well as looking into oil catch cans which look very important, especially for a turbo powered engine, and on top of that, a tuned turbo engine. I'm going to start a thread today on that topic.

If you are in central Texas/Austin area, just be sure to make it clear you "only" want the oil change and filter, get a quote for just that, and ask them up front about the maint. reset. They gave me some song and dance about.. "if we don't do all the recommended maint, you have a wreck and sue us, bla, bla, bla.. " I had to laugh to myself later.. great marketing..

PS: The oil change they do is sucking the oil out, and not dropping the bottom engine cover plate, which is a major pain in *ss with about a dozen screws, and way messier of a job. I checked oil, and it was very clean, so I'm okay with this, but I may just buy this tool myself later on and avoid the paid service all together possibly.

Here you go... Ezeey Peezy

https://www.walmart.com/ip/9-Pack-Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-5W-40-Motor-Oil-1-qt/487528145?selected=true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts

This is GREAT information. I still have my third and final service left that I pre-paid at purchase, but have already started to slowly buy tools to do this this myself. I recently just replaced my front brake pads..hardest part was just getting the wheels on and off (and fighting 100 degree weather). I really just can't stand the service dept over there 183/Pond Springs. The newest guy seems ok, but if history tells me anything, not much will change.

Good to know re: oil extractor, that's what I planned to do for my oil change next year. Don't have the big OBD tool, I may have to borrow it next year! I'm going to look into the BG products you mentioned; I had never heard of that before. Sounds like I could use it, 100% of my driving is stop and go just a few miles a day.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Can you link the videos/ go into a bit more detail about the GDI service? Just about everything I have found is just a fuel additive that wouldn't require labor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Huh that’s strange. I provided three Amazon links and a Walmart link in my post above, and the three Amazon links got changed to three broken YouTube video links!!?? What’s that all about…?
Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
509 Posts
they wouldn't reset the maintenance light after the oil change because you didn't buy the up sell services? that is literally a crock pot full of **** on their part.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I have the same issue with service light. How do you reset it Maserati wont do it for me because I didn't want to get my oil changed there and pay 760 bucks. Most places dont have scanner that can reset service light

·
Super Moderator
1,961 Posts
There were a few folks on forum that had a code reader they would ship around for use.
Now there are several code readers available that reset oil service light on Maserati cars ... one $220 "proven" example is the OBDSTAR x200 Pro.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wouldn't use any additives at all. Not necessary at all and can even be harmful. A top quality oil and frequent oil changes are all you need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts