Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I'd share my research in case it's helpful for anyone else who needs to replace the speakers in their exhaust (which in itself sounds like a strange thing to do, but that's how the active exhaust in the diesel model works). I had originally assumed that the exhaust worked in the same way as the petrol models and used hydraulic valves in the exhaust, but it has actually as electrical connection to a speaker (a system shared with Audi) as shown below:

My main goal was to replace the speaker with something of equal volume and get a similar sound (if not better). The only thing I know about the original speaker is that it's a 2 ohm 6 - 6.5 inch speaker that's made in Italy. Luckily I still have one working which means I can do a direct comparison between the working and non-working sides of the exhaust. Also as one speaker is still working it meant we were able to check the resistance value to be sure:

You can change to a more common 4 ohm speaker and it will not damage the system (changing to a lower resistance could damage it but going higher shouldn't). However even with a higher speaker sensitivity (the loudness of the speaker as measured from 1m away with a fixed power going through it) it's likely you'll lose some volume when changing the resistance higher. I spent a lot of time on the internet checking this and it's a hotly discussed topic, but the consensus is generally it will be quieter, but all things considered it might not be that noticeable for such a small change especially in this particular scenario.

I wanted to make sure the speaker I choose covers a suitable frequency range, so I tried to measure the sound coming out of the exhaust to see if I could measure what was being added by the speaker.

I did three tests but as the results were all the same to save space I'm not posting all the images here. All tests were done at idle speed, as I did it on my own, and holding the mic about an inch away from the exhaust tip.

First test, sport mode OFF

First test, sport mode ON

You can see with sport mode on that there's a much more defined peak at 64Hz than with it off. It looks like the sport mode sound is enhancing the existing peak but to a much further extreme than occurs naturally. Given the limited rev range of the diesel (only up to 4.5k RPM) the pitch doesn't change a great deal when revving, so I'm not too concerned about the upper frequency range. I might measure that later though just out of curiosity.

So, I want to make sure that whatever speaker I get has a frequency range that starts below 64Hz, ideally 50 or below, with a fairly decent upper range just in case something is there. It also needs to be 2 ohm (but 4 ohm is fine just quieter) and 6 to 6.5 inches (I've heard @Pandemonium has had great success with a 16cm Pioneer speaker).

I looked at lots of 4 ohm speakers but discounted any with a sensitivity less than 90db, as if I'm going to increase the resistance I want to keep the sensitivity high to try and compensate. 1db is the minimum perceivable change and 3db is a noticeable difference in volume (values I found when Googling).

Here is my shortlist out of the literal hundreds of speakers I checked for size, resistance, sensitivity, frequency range, waterproofing and general customer reviews:

Water resistant speakers
Polk Audio DB6502 - 4ohm / 92db / 35Hz - 23kHz
Polk Audio DB652 - 4ohm / 92db / 40Hz - 22kHz (as above but with built in tweeter - cheaper option)
Pioneer TS-MR1640 - 4ohm / 91db / 30Hz - 30kHz
Sony XS MP1611 - 4ohm / 90db / 45Hz - 20kHz (thanks @Pandemonium for this one)
Audison Prima AP6.5 2 - 2ohm / 95db / 50Hz - 5kHz
Kicker KM652C - 2ohm / 90db / 35Hz - 21kHz
Kicker PSC652 - 2ohm / 92.5db / 40Hz - 20kHz (full item code is 42PSC652)
Renegade RXM62B - 3ohm / ??db / 55Hz - 20kHz

Worthy mention - water resistant speakers outside chosen frequency range
DS18 PRO-SM6.2 - 2ohm / 95db / 80Hz - 14kHz
PowerBass XL-62SS - 3ohm / 88db / 65Hz - 20kHz
+ actually too many others to list

Non-water resistant speakers
Also, in theory you can waterproof any speaker using a protective spray, so if you're interested in that approach I found these:
JBL GTO600C - 2.5ohm / 93db / 45Hz - 25kHz
JBL Club 6522 - 3ohm / 93db / 53Hz - 21kHz

Note that the speakers are marketed as water 'resistant' not waterproof! They're rated against splashes, not being underwater. I also checked the SPL and impedance graphs for each speaker as the numbers given are the 'average' across a range and not specific to our purpose. For example, the resistance changes depending on the frequency.

My first choice would therefore be the Kicker PSC652 which can be rear mounted and looks like it will easily fit due to the small magnet size and 50mm mounting depth, though I'm not sure about the position of the mounting holes and there are no resistance/frequency graphs in the manual. As of today they're available on eBay for £130/pair (EDIT: I ordered mine on eBay new for £100/pair with Best Offer).

After that would be the Kicker KM652C which although discontinued is still available here and there. However there is a problem... The tweeter is mounted in such a way to prevent the flush rear mounting that we need in the exhaust, as you can see below:

Also, I think it's too deep to fit in the exhaust speaker cavity. Bummer.

Then we move on to the Audison Prima AP6.5 (2 ohm version) which differs from all the other speakers here as it's not a full range speaker (doesn't have a tweeter for high frequencies). It's also NOT IP rated for water protection (it has a water-repellent treated paper cone). However, on paper it's the loudest as not only is it 2ohm like the original but it also has the highest sensitivity at 95db. Data sheet with graphs available here.

I also really like the Polk Audio DB6502 or DB652 as 4 ohm options (the manual and data sheets don't include graphs) and it is rated against water, dust, humidity etc. but it's more expensive than the popular Pioneer TS-MR1640 which also has a good level of protection and frequency range (data and graphs available here - you need to download and zoom in to see the graph which is conveniently upside down).

There's no doubt I prefer the appearance of the Polk, but I'm never going to be able to see it once it's installed in the exhaust!

Then there's also the Renegade RXM62 (B or W for black or white) but I can't find sensitivity or dimensions online yet. Also it looks like the grille can't be removed for rear mounting? If you have any information on this speaker please let me know.

I did start to wonder how much water resistance is needed, considering the current speakers lasted almost 7 years without apparently any. I wouldn't want to use a normal untreated speaker as I don't want to have to replace it again. Would I trust a speaker I've sprayed with waterproofing myself? Probably not. Does the speaker need to be IP rated? Probably not. Will heat be more of an issue than moisture? Probably.

EDIT: Based on feedback from those in the know who've actually seen the conditions the speaker will be exposed to, IP rating (water resistance) probably IS required. Therefore I would go with the Kicker, Polk or Pioneer.

I know a lot of people have had success with other 4 ohm speakers (Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony etc.) so this is just my research for my preferences based on what I've found. Feel free to add your own suggestions that might be useful for people if they meet the requirements.

UPDATE AUGUST 2021: @Pandemonium fitted the pair of Kicker PSC652 that I ordered and the exhaust sounds amazing - much better than before! Even if I take into account it was only working one side before, the speakers are clearer, louder and generally sound better than the stock ones. Due to the small magnet size they were easy to fit and they also come with good quality connectors, foam mounts etc. I fully recommend the Kicker PSC652 2ohm speakers as a replacement for the Ghibli exhaust. I drive everywhere with Sport mode on now as it sounds so good...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi
Good information here thanks.
Please be aware that here in the UK moisture does build up quite considerably and ever speaker pod I've done was like shaking a coconut and when I opened water poured out.
Please see my YouTube videos
And please everyone out there don't use the kenwood ones, someone came recently with kenwood because the couldn't get pioneer for his audi sq5 and really they didn't fit properly, I managed but it was a right squeeze.
I personally would try the Sony XS MP 1611 W marine speakers, so if anyone does let me know how they sound, and if I fit I will post the results.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Please be aware that here in the UK moisture does build up quite considerably and ever speaker pod I've done was like shaking a coconut and when I opened water poured out.
And please everyone out there don't use the kenwood ones, someone came recently with kenwood because the couldn't get pioneer for his audi sq5 and really they didn't fit properly, I managed but it was a right squeeze.
I personally would try the Sony XS MP 1611 W marine speakers, so if anyone does let me know how they sound, and if I fit I will post the results.
Thanks for the info. Those Sony speakers have a 90db sensitivity and fit my criteria (other than 4 ohm). I was looking at speakers that were about the same depth as the Pioneer (or less) which I know you had success with, but if you're able to find out the maximum speaker depth that will fit we can add that to help with choosing :) though I can imagine it would be difficult to measure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Sony XS MP speakers are 51mm depth so should be fine and go over 90db in the UK would breaking the law so I think they should be fine.
But we need someone to be a (Pioneer) and try them!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Sony XS MP speakers are 51mm depth so should be fine and go over 90db in the UK would breaking the law so I think they should be fine.
The 90db is the sensitivity rating of the speaker not the actual volume it would be putting out :) it's just a standard measure to show how efficiently the speaker converts the electrical signal to audio. It's usually between 80-95db. A speaker with a 3db higher sensitivity will be noticeably louder with the volume control in the same position as a speaker with a lower sensitivity (all other things being equal). As the exhaust volume isn't adjustable, that's why I'm interested in this.

But we need someone to be a (Pioneer) and try them!
Boom boom! 😄

·
Registered
30 Posts
I keep saying this to everyone that ask about the same sound as OEM speaker, maserati quoted me 3k for a new exhaust, new speaker pods 1k so a pair of £80 speakers even if the sound isn't the same sounds a lot better to me 📢
And some sound is better than none!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I keep saying this to everyone that ask about the same sound as OEM speaker, maserati quoted me 3k for a new exhaust, new speaker pods 1k so a pair of £80 speakers even if the sound isn't the same sounds a lot better to me 📢
And some sound is better than none!
I absolutely agree! There's no off the shelf speaker that (probably) wouldn't sound better than what's already installed, and if it isn't working at all (like in my case) then any speaker is better than none!

However I wanted to do some research to what the best option would be if anyone was interested in being overly anal about it like me, given that even buying the best possible speaker and even upgrading to a Maxhaust module (or similar)* would still cost less than having a whole new exhaust.

*I'm not interested in doing that, just saying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
Hi, I had my QP (second hand) 2 years ago which the active sound speakers were complete out. I only noticed there were active sound from friend’s Levanti diesel. Then I searched out your videos and did exactly what you have done, same pioneer speakers. I have got a much better sound now . But to compare with my friend’s Levante, the Levante sounds much louder ( guess similar to petrol ones). Because I have never heard the QP original sound, so don’t know whether the pioneer sound right or not, or maybe Levante is newer model has upgrade the sound ( speakers)? Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought I'd share my research in case it's helpful for anyone else who needs to replace the speakers in their exhaust (which in itself sounds like a strange thing to do, but that's how the active exhaust in the diesel model works). I had originally assumed that the exhaust worked in the same way as the petrol models and used hydraulic valves in the exhaust, but it has actually as electrical connection to a speaker (a system shared with Audi) as shown below:

View attachment 21558

My main goal was to replace the speaker with something of equal volume and get a similar sound (if not better). The only thing I know about the original speaker is that it's a 2 ohm 6 - 6.5 inch speaker that's made in Italy. Luckily I still have one working which means I can do a direct comparison between the working and non-working sides of the exhaust. Also as one speaker is still working it meant we were able to check the resistance value to be sure:

View attachment 21662

You can change to a more common 4 ohm speaker and it will not damage the system (changing to a lower resistance could damage it but going higher shouldn't). However even with a higher speaker sensitivity (the loudness of the speaker as measured from 1m away with a fixed power going through it) it's likely you'll lose some volume when changing the resistance higher. I spent a lot of time on the internet checking this and it's a hotly discussed topic, but the consensus is generally it will be quieter, but all things considered it might not be that noticeable for such a small change especially in this particular scenario.

I wanted to make sure the speaker I choose covers a suitable frequency range, so I tried to measure the sound coming out of the exhaust to see if I could measure what was being added by the speaker.

I did three tests but as the results were all the same to save space I'm not posting all the images here. All tests were done at idle speed, as I did it on my own, and holding the mic about an inch away from the exhaust tip.

First test, sport mode OFF

View attachment 21552

First test, sport mode ON

View attachment 21553

You can see with sport mode on that there's a much more defined peak at 64Hz than with it off. It looks like the sport mode sound is enhancing the existing peak but to a much further extreme than occurs naturally. Given the limited rev range of the diesel (only up to 4.5k RPM) the pitch doesn't change a great deal when revving, so I'm not too concerned about the upper frequency range. I might measure that later though just out of curiosity.

So, I want to make sure that whatever speaker I get has a frequency range that starts below 64Hz, ideally 50 or below, with a fairly decent upper range just in case something is there. It also needs to be 2 ohm (but 4 ohm is fine just quieter) and 6 to 6.5 inches (I've heard @Pandemonium has had great success with a 16cm Pioneer speaker).

I looked at lots of 4 ohm speakers but discounted any with a sensitivity less than 90db, as if I'm going to increase the resistance I want to keep the sensitivity high to try and compensate. 1db is the minimum perceivable change and 3db is a noticeable difference in volume (values I found when Googling).

Here is my shortlist out of the literal hundreds of speakers I checked for size, resistance, sensitivity, frequency range, waterproofing and general customer reviews:

Water resistant speakers
Polk Audio DB6502 - 4ohm / 92db / 35Hz - 23kHz
Polk Audio DB652 - 4ohm / 92db / 40Hz - 22kHz (as above but with built in tweeter - cheaper option)
Pioneer TS-MR1640 - 4ohm / 91db / 30Hz - 30kHz
Sony XS MP1611 - 4ohm / 90db / 45Hz - 20kHz (thanks @Pandemonium for this one)
Audison Prima AP6.5 2 - 2ohm / 95db / 50Hz - 5kHz
Kicker KM652C - 2ohm / 90db / 35Hz - 21kHz
Kicker PSC652 - 2ohm / 92.5db / 40Hz - 20kHz (full item code is 42PSC652)
Renegade RXM62B - 3ohm / ??db / 55Hz - 20kHz

Worthy mention - water resistant speakers outside chosen frequency range
DS18 PRO-SM6.2 - 2ohm / 95db / 80Hz - 14kHz
PowerBass XL-62SS - 3ohm / 88db / 65Hz - 20kHz
+ actually too many others to list

Non-water resistant speakers
Also, in theory you can waterproof any speaker using a protective spray, so if you're interested in that approach I found these:
JBL GTO600C - 2.5ohm / 93db / 45Hz - 25kHz
JBL Club 6522 - 3ohm / 93db / 53Hz - 21kHz

Note that the speakers are marketed as water 'resistant' not waterproof! They're rated against splashes, not being underwater. I also checked the SPL and impedance graphs for each speaker as the numbers given are the 'average' across a range and not specific to our purpose. For example, the resistance changes depending on the frequency.

My first choice would therefore be the Kicker PSC652 which can be rear mounted and looks like it will easily fit due to the small magnet size and 50mm mounting depth, though I'm not sure about the position of the mounting holes and there are no resistance/frequency graphs in the manual. As of today they're available on eBay for £130/pair (EDIT: I ordered mine on eBay new for £100/pair with Best Offer).
View attachment 21561 View attachment 21562

After that would be the Kicker KM652C which although discontinued is still available here and there. However there is a problem... The tweeter is mounted in such a way to prevent the flush rear mounting that we need in the exhaust, as you can see below:

View attachment 21554

Also, I think it's too deep to fit in the exhaust speaker cavity. Bummer.

Then we move on to the Audison Prima AP6.5 (2 ohm version) which differs from all the other speakers here as it's not a full range speaker (doesn't have a tweeter for high frequencies). It's also NOT IP rated for water protection (it has a water-repellent treated paper cone). However, on paper it's the loudest as not only is it 2ohm like the original but it also has the highest sensitivity at 95db. Data sheet with graphs available here.

View attachment 21555
I also really like the Polk Audio DB6502 or DB652 as 4 ohm options (the manual and data sheets don't include graphs) and it is rated against water, dust, humidity etc. but it's more expensive than the popular Pioneer TS-MR1640 which also has a good level of protection and frequency range (data and graphs available here - you need to download and zoom in to see the graph which is conveniently upside down).

View attachment 21556 View attachment 21557

There's no doubt I prefer the appearance of the Polk, but I'm never going to be able to see it once it's installed in the exhaust!

Then there's also the Renegade RXM62 (B or W for black or white) but I can't find sensitivity or dimensions online yet. Also it looks like the grille can't be removed for rear mounting? If you have any information on this speaker please let me know.

I did start to wonder how much water resistance is needed, considering the current speakers lasted almost 7 years without apparently any. I wouldn't want to use a normal untreated speaker as I don't want to have to replace it again. Would I trust a speaker I've sprayed with waterproofing myself? Probably not. Does the speaker need to be IP rated? Probably not. Will heat be more of an issue than moisture? Probably.

EDIT: Based on feedback from those in the know who've actually seen the conditions the speaker will be exposed to, IP rating (water resistance) probably IS required. Therefore I would go with the Kicker, Polk or Pioneer.

I know a lot of people have had success with other 4 ohm speakers (Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony etc.) so this is just my research for my preferences based on what I've found. Feel free to add your own suggestions that might be useful for people if they meet the requirements.

UPDATE AUGUST 2021: @Pandemonium fitted the pair of Kicker PSC652 that I ordered and the exhaust sounds amazing - much better than before! Even if I take into account it was only working one side before, the speakers are clearer, louder and generally sound better than the stock ones. Due to the small magnet size they were easy to fit and they also come with good quality connectors, foam mounts etc. I fully recommend the Kicker PSC652 2ohm speakers as a replacement for the Ghibli exhaust. I drive everywhere with Sport mode on now as it sounds so good...
Hello,

I have been seaching the internet a while now and came to your post. I love, thank this is exactly what you're looking for when to get in to this!
Short story, I bought a6 allroad c7 bitdi. Just now around 400hp. I thought The Active sound did not do so much so I bought sound unit from Cete. When it finally came I was so happy, installed it and like a toung boy in The candy store I started upp the car. Nothing!!! Dead!! Both speakers boken.
I live in The northern of sweden, nobody does repair and new is far to expensive.

So now I Will try do it my self. Could you please help me with some answers are you so kind?

6 or 6,5"?
Is it worth to take those expensive klicker?
On internet they talk about modifying the housing, you know what they mean?

Best regards from lappland

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi
You need 6.5 speakers, the kicker are expensive and hard to get but they are 2 ohm like the originals the sound awesome.
If you have a booster however the pioneer will be fine, but I've installed a lot of the pioneer mr1640 and just recently I have reported a couple of failures after 2 years due to condensation so we have drilled a 4mm hole to allow the water to escape and smeared the speakers with a little white grease.
Please see my videos on YouTube. Just type Alfaspiderman
The Sony mp1611 speakers will fit as well and soon I will try these.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi
You need 6.5 speakers, the kicker are expensive and hard to get but they are 2 ohm like the originals the sound awesome.
If you have a booster however the pioneer will be fine, but I've installed a lot of the pioneer mr1640 and just recently I have reported a couple of failures after 2 years due to condensation so we have drilled a 4mm hole to allow the water to escape and smeared the speakers with a little white grease.
Please see my videos on YouTube. Just type Alfaspiderman
The Sony mp1611 speakers will fit as well and soon I will try these.
Thank you so much, then I think I Will order The klicker, I still have some contacts there from back in The days.
The modifying they talk about on The internet could be that 4mm hole you talk about?
Is it easy to see where to grind it open? So cool to test it!!
Thanks again!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You don't need to do any modifications and drilling a 4mm hole isn't a modification, I don't know what they are on about it's easy to grind open the enclosure, just watch my YouTube videos maserati, sq5, vw gtd.
Hope the repair goes well for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You don't need to do any modifications and drilling a 4mm hole isn't a modification, I don't know what they are on about it's easy to grind open the enclosure, just watch my YouTube videos maserati, sq5, vw gtd.
Hope the repair goes well for you.
Thank, I contacted kicker import sweden, as you told before, not easy to get.
1.What do you think is best and available speaker after kicker?
2. Now I have to take down to whole exhaust I would like to know IF it is possible to change mufflers to other, like from Rs6 whitout getting technical problems?
3. Maybe you know or somebody reading this post, is it easy/possible to change diffuser on The allroad to other one like Rs6 to fit The mufflers without modifying to much?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The only other 2 speakers that fit are pioneer mr1640 and Sony mp1611
I have had 2 x pioneer failures after 2 years
The next set I am installing are the Sony mp1611 and I am going to smear them with white grease. Both 4 ohm
You can weld any pods from different cars they are all the same or you could buy 2 x pods from kautetec but they are really expensive

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only other 2 speakers that fit are pioneer mr1640 and Sony mp1611
I have had 2 x pioneer failures after 2 years
The next set I am installing are the Sony mp1611 and I am going to smear them with white grease. Both 4 ohm
You can weld any pods from different cars they are all the same or you could buy 2 x pods from kautetec but they are really expensive
Yes, to expensive and now you made me wantibg to do my self, I thought to repair to broken ones of Rs6 and put them on my car. The only thing I need to do is friend a diffuser and IF it is possible to just swap. For The speakers it is impossible to get them in sweden and I do want to have 2 ohm. Are only Sony / pioneer fittibg because of The size?

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are looking for marine grade speakers you need to be aware of size do some research I've done plenty and the only ones that will fit are the Sony mp1611 or the pioneer mr1640.
You need 6.5 inch and a mounting depth of no more than 51mm more than that they don't fit.
Please be aware that some speakers the grill is integral and that needs to be taken into consideration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you are looking for marine grade speakers you need to be aware of size do some research I've done plenty and the only ones that will fit are the Sony mp1611 or the pioneer mr1640.
You need 6.5 inch and a mounting depth of no more than 51mm more than that they don't fit.
Please be aware that some speakers the grill is integral and that needs to be taken into consideration.
Ok, thank you and thanks that I can use all your knowledge. Some how I have to order kicker from USA, Will be expensive with taxes and transport but then I do not need to think "what IF?" when I take 4ohm.
Or do you have a better/cheaper adress?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts