Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I had been considering doing a chrome delete on the windows and door handles, I am considering going with a chrome grill. After seeing the 2018+ with chrome grill, I think the black grill just gets lost on a black car. I ordered inserts and will weigh the look before installing. I think this looks aggressive:

E26B8AD1-0D34-4405-A9B7-223978965871.jpeg
BB8D1AC5-372E-4945-A5CA-BD759FCB5FB0.jpeg

Reactions: Gideon

·
Administrator
2,186 Posts
I do like the chrome on those pictures .... it draws you into the car design / aggressiveness.

Reactions: Miccov2004

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I do like the chrome on those pictures .... it draws you into the car design / aggressiveness.
Me too. I just feel like the front end gets lost on a black car with a black grill. Here’s mine.
And a pic of the same color 2019 with the chrome grill.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, here is probably a fairer comparison. The 2018+ grill fins actually bend in the middle at about a 45 degree angle making it look a bit like a teeth grit. 2017 and down fins are straight and flat. Here is a before and after of a 2017 black. Curious what you think?

CaptureBF.JPG
Capture.JPG
CaptureBF.JPG
Capture.JPG

·
Administrator
2,186 Posts
Ok, here is probably a fairer comparison. The 2018+ grill fins actually bend in the middle at about a 45 degree angle making it look a bit like a teeth grit. 2017 and down fins are straight and flat. Here is a before and after of a 2017 black. Curious what you think?
I personally like the chrome inserts on the right ... makes it more aggressive ... calling your attention to the car.

Reactions: Joe-Ghibli

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another consideration is doing every other fin. 2018+ have 10 fins and are spaced out more than our 12.

·
Administrator
2,186 Posts
Another consideration is doing every other fin. 2018+ have 10 fins and are spaced out more than our 12.
I do think I like the alternating chrome option which provides added depth ... it's kind of the best of both worlds. Also seems to leave the fins with sensors black.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do think I like the alternating chrome option which provides added depth ... it's kind of the best of both worlds. Also seems to leave the fins with sensors black.
Exactly. When they get here, I will put them on both ways without peeling the tape and post pics.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As much as I had been considering doing a chrome delete on the windows and door handles, I am considering going with a chrome grill. After seeing the 2018+ with chrome grill, I think the black grill just gets lost on a black car. I ordered inserts and will weigh the look before installing. I think this looks aggressive:

View attachment 20261 View attachment 20262

if it’s not too late, vinyl wrap the grill, you can do it yourself, (I did mine), save a ton or get a shop to do it for 75-100. Leave the trident and that **** will POP on an all black!

If you don’t like it you can always peal it off.

Or you could be different and do half black and half chrome for a week.

Love the wheels btw.

Black out that strip as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2,186 Posts
Exactly. When they get here, I will put them on both ways without peeling the tape and post pics.
Which supplier are you using for the chrome inserts? I looked many years ago, but they were very inexpensive and easily chipped. Figure today, there are better options out there.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which supplier are you using for the chrome inserts? I looked many years ago, but they were very inexpensive and easily chipped. Figure today, there are better options out there.

YOCTM Grill Chrome Trim for Maserati Ghibli 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Parts Accessories Front Grille Decorative Garnish Trim Cover Car Styling Amazon.com: YOCTM Grill Chrome Trim for Maserati Ghibli 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Parts Accessories Front Grille Decorative Garnish Trim Cover Car Styling: Automotive

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The YOCTM inserts have gotten high marks. We will see when they get here. I won't put anything cheap on the car.

·
Administrator
2,186 Posts
The YOCTM inserts have gotten high marks. We will see when they get here. I won't put anything cheap on the car.
I've seen that company before ... someone on the forum has those same inserts with good results. There is a tricky part with the sensor. Not sure if it is mixed up order of insert, 3M tape adhesive or variation in sensor mounting ... but someone commented on problems getting the one insert by sensor. Also see it happened a couple times on Amazon, but majority were straightforward and very happy. Will be interested to see how they fit on your car.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've seen that company before ... someone on the forum has those same inserts with good results. There is a tricky part with the sensor. Not sure if it is mixed up order of insert, 3M tape adhesive or variation in sensor mounting ... but someone commented on problems getting the one insert by sensor. Also see it happened a couple times on Amazon, but majority were straightforward and very happy. Will be interested to see how they fit on your car.
I think if I do every other one then I skip the sensor anyway, but I will see how they all fit on all together and report back.

·
Registered
2015 Maserati Ghibli S Q4
37 Posts

View attachment 20263 View attachment 20264 View attachment 20263 View attachment 20264 View attachment 20263 View attachment 20264
Both look amazing to me. It’s hard to decide which one is nicer. If I was forced to pick, I’d probably go with the chrome grill since stands out more.

·
Registered
37 Posts

if it’s not too late, vinyl wrap the grill, you can do it yourself, (I did mine), save a ton or get a shop to do it for 75-100. Leave the trident and that **** will POP on an all black!

If you don’t like it you can always peal it off.

Or you could be different and do half black and half chrome for a week.

Love the wheels btw.

Black out that strip as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The chrome grill looks amazing! I like it very much.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright, I’m torn! Didn’t stick them. Opinions?

·
Administrator
2,186 Posts
Alright, I’m torn! Didn’t stick them. Opinions?
I'm torn too ... but leaning toward alternating. My son prefers the alternating and my wife says they all look the same to her:rolleyes:
  • all black (stock) lets the Maserati Trident have center stage
  • alternating retains the Trident as focal point, but chrome inserts adds a little dimension.
  • all chrome makes it look more modern, luxury vs sport edition

·
Registered
37 Posts
I like all chrome or all black, and even the alternating looks good, I just prefer all chrome. Like Beer Guy said, the alternating black-chrome really make the trident badge stand out much more!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys for weighing in. I asked my girlfriend and she was no help as well.

I’m going to sleep on it. I agree the all chrome adds luxury and takes away sport and the trident gets lost. All chrome is out. It’s between the other two. Ugh.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts