Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a common problem based on searching this forum, but wanted to put this out for others.

On MY14, from a stopped position, when making a "full" hard left turn you hear an occasional "clunk" in the front end. This only started around September and happens with summer or winter tires, (on 20" Urano Rims).

Brought car in for 6th year annual service so asked for this to be taken care of while under the last month of extended warranty. The service tech could duplicate the sound ... so that was a good start. Although they struggled to pinpoint the sound location, but through process of elimination they believe it is the ball joint that needed to be re-torqued. Tomorrow, they will test it out again to make sure that was the fix.

As an aside, for the early Ghibli's,the aluminum subframe where the suspension bolts connect can become worn out / loose over time causing the thud/clunk on a hard turn ... to solve they replace the subframe which solves the problem. In my case, the sound wasn't coming from this location. That was the original premise before the car was in the shop for service.

Will keep you posted to close the loop.

Can't complain car has held up great since new ... just lots of campaigns in the early days.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Good to know!

Mine always make a loud clicking noise when turning. Supposedly they said it was also due to the joints but after two attempts to fix the issue, it persists....

·
Registered
644 Posts
the most common popping/clicking i come across is the lower control arm bushings. updated parts have a more solid/less rubber bushing. usually easily duplicated with either standing steering, or a few feet of movement forward or rearward with the wheels turned plus some brake application to load the suspension.

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the most common popping/clicking i come across is the lower control arm bushings. updated parts have a more solid/less rubber bushing. usually easily duplicated with either standing steering, or a few feet of movement forward or rearward with the wheels turned plus some brake application to load the suspension.
Thanks for the feedback.
The service tech was able to duplicate the "clunk or thud" sound as you indicate but ruled out the lower control arm, steering rack and aluminum subframe. Seem to think ball joint.
  • Lower Control arm + bushing done in March 2017 which made a noticeable improvement along with reduced shudder on tight slow turns as weather got colder in fall, (before putting on winters). I didn't notice any sounds, but tech checked for excessive wear during annual service based on his experiences with the MY14.
  • Steering rack was replaced in March 2019 for excessive wear ... I couldn't tell any difference ... service tech said it was worn outside proper tolerance.
  • I still have original strut towers without the reinforcement plate ... appears my VIN isn't part of the campaign.
  • Way back when, I did have noticeable clunk after the spring upgrade ... was one of the first upgrades and dealer found the new assembly wasn't compatible with MY14. To be safe, added new front shocks with proper nut/washer solved the clunk.
Service still has the car, so figure when they get it solved they will call me. The dealership is exclusive Maserati with many longtime seasoned techs ... they've taken excellent care of me since car was new. That is one of the reasons I pay extra for annual service and inspections done at this Maserati dealer versus myself or independent.

·
Registered
644 Posts
gotcha. hope they track it down. if march 17 was replacement control arms for bushings, there was yet a new part improvement after that.
my jaw dropped too when i heard back then, all the cars i've done control arms on i would be re-doing with new-new control arms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.
The service tech was able to duplicate the "clunk or thud" sound as you indicate but ruled out the lower control arm, steering rack and aluminum subframe. Seem to think ball joint.
  • Lower Control arm + bushing done in March 2017 which made a noticeable improvement along with reduced shudder on tight slow turns as weather got colder in fall, (before putting on winters). I didn't notice any sounds, but tech checked for excessive wear during annual service based on his experiences with the MY14.
  • Steering rack was replaced in March 2019 for excessive wear ... I couldn't tell any difference ... service tech said it was worn outside proper tolerance.
  • I still have original strut towers without the reinforcement plate ... appears my VIN isn't part of the campaign.
  • Way back when, I did have noticeable clunk after the spring upgrade ... was one of the first upgrades and dealer found the new assembly wasn't compatible with MY14. To be safe, added new front shocks with proper nut/washer solved the clunk.
Service still has the car, so figure when they get it solved they will call me. The dealership is exclusive Maserati with many longtime seasoned techs ... they've taken excellent care of me since car was new. That is one of the reasons I pay extra for annual service and inspections done at this Maserati dealer versus myself or independent.
Hi BeerGuy, is there any updates? I have the same problem and don't know what to do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine had a similar noise that was due to improperly torqued lower control arm bolts. They were not properly torqued after an alignment, once tightened the noise disappeared.

·
Administrator
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi BeerGuy, is there any updates? I have the same problem and don't know what to do.
They resolved mine by retorqueing the ball joints. Although, 1.5 years later it (clunking sound) is occasionally back again on hard full left standing still turns. Next service I'll have them retorque again ... told me they do loosen over time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They resolved mine by retorqueing the ball joints. Although, 1.5 years later it (clunking sound) is occasionally back again on hard full left standing still turns. Next service I'll have them retorque again ... told me they do loosen over time.
thanks for your reply! I will this method.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts