Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first check engine light. I'm under warranty but I figure I should have my own code reader to read and clear codes. Did a quick search here and on Amazon, but want to make sure I order the right one. I don't plan on doing much with it besides scanning and clearing.

Any recommendations? I could take a trip to the dealer, but from my quick googling, this may be something as simple as a misfire, but my car is getting close to the new plug service and I am sure the dealer will push that. Would not mind waiting for the Service Light for that though. Car runs fine.

Also, will it go away on it's own over time if the reason for it doesn't repeat?

·
Super Moderator
2,145 Posts
That should work nicely.

It really depends what you want to do. You can get a basic code reader for $25-35 at Pep Boys which reads codes perfectly. That's what I did for my first and last misfire ... never appeared again after reset.

If you want data logging you can step up to one that will do codes and logging ... so I did ... upgraded to document my Enzo tune parameters before and after to know what was happening. You have to old school download the info to your computer but it works. Doesn't do the maintenance resets like others request on this forum.

I think their is a old thread on data loggers

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That should work nicely.

It really depends what you want to do. You can get a basic code reader for $25-35 at Pep Boys which reads codes perfectly. That's what I did for my first and last misfire ... never appeared again after reset.

If you want data logging you can step up to one that will do codes and logging ... so I did ... upgraded to document my Enzo tune parameters before and after to know what was happening. You have to old school download the info to your computer but it works. Doesn't do the maintenance resets like others request on this forum.

I think their is a old thread on data loggers
Thanks. I figured a code reader for this car and any ODB2 car should be in my toolbox. I’m probably not interested in anything more than reading the code and clearing. I probably overpaid for what I want to do, but the Bluetooth functionality is appealing. I have a reader for my BMW and I wonder if that would have worked. It’s specifically for BMW/Mini. Pulling it out of the trunk and plugging it in is fine, but the thought of keeping the little dongle in the glovebox and interface on my phone is appealing.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My BMW reader worked.

Reactions: BeerGuy

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently got a Veepeak OBDCheck BLE+ connector after my third breakdown. I suspected cylinder misfires based on the behavior. Knowing that Maseratis have very limited data exposed via OBD2, I was skeptical of getting anything other than standard OBD2 code reading at best. I was pleasantly surprised!
1) BLE connected flawlessly with OBDFusion on iOS. Was able to read standard OBD PIDS quickly and accurately. Scan confirmed my suspicions and showed misfire on Cylinders 3 & 6 and Evap System error.

2) Surprised that it was also able to read more advanced PIDS like Boost Sensors, MAF Rate, Fuel Pressure, etc. The boost data doesn't report correctly as raw data (showing a range of 14.4 to ~67 psi) but applying normalization and -1 to 1 Linear scaling to map 14.4 = 0, max(boost) = 13.0 (best conservative estimate since the max PSI of the SQ4 seems to be hard to find). The scaling results in boost values that seem fairly accurate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any suggestions on how to get the reader to throw a code regarding a failed emergency brake module? The parking break was stuck and did lots of damage and now my extended warranty wont cover because the code reader wont give a code that the emergency parking brake module failed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This was suggested on another post.
What it does well is that if you service your own vehicle, i.e. oil change interval, then you must have one that can read Maserati and provide reset. I've only found two that do this, the one I posted here, and the very expensive one at the dealer.
Now support for it is terrible. I've been trying to get mine updated but they don't respond and the site is terrible in addition. But this device has read all the codes and has allowed me to reset the maintenance interval.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BlueDriver LSB2 Bluetooth Pro OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone & Android https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3KE4Eb4Y5FPBG

I’m pretty happy with this for $99. I don’t think it resets oil change service lights, but I’m not changing my own oil. It’s super convenient and the app is pretty well developed. Support is great so far.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was the code for the Ghibli? Just curious what was it, gas cap or filler?
I googled and it and most of the feedback was a loose gas cap. Cleared the code and checked the cap and 5 days later it came on and would not clear. Trip to dealer, they replaced fuel filler neck. (They also put in a new radiator unrelated).

Reactions: WillyWins

·
Registered
12 Posts
I googled and it and most of the feedback was a loose gas cap. Cleared the code and checked the cap and 5 days later it came on and would not clear. Trip to dealer, they replaced fuel filler neck. (They also put in a new radiator unrelated).
That is interesting, my Ghibli is cap-less which is also why I asked. I did realize any pressure opening along the filler line would cause the same code for any car, replacing the neck would make sense. Good to hear your issue was resolved. 👍

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is interesting, my Ghibli is cap-less which is also why I asked. I did realize any pressure opening along the filler line would cause the same code for any car, replacing the neck would make sense. Good to hear your issue was resolved.
By cap I meant the same. The cap attached to the filler door.

Reactions: WillyWins

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes that made sense, the spring actuated pressure valve door where the gas filler goes in through, that has a cap piece attached. Thanks!
Cool. The gas cap door thing is super convenient and the first I’ve ever seen, but it does make me wonder if it’s more prone to vacuum leaves vs a traditional twist tight cap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cool. The gas cap door thing is super convenient and the first I’ve ever seen, but it does make me wonder if it’s more prone to vacuum leaves vs a traditional twist tight cap.
I got a Ford Taurus rental back in 2011 that had the same thing, that was the first time I had seen that. Yes while it’s super convenient and it helps fill the tank faster they are sensitive to pressure. I’ve read they are prone to seizing shut in snow and not closing correctly with dust and grime. That white funnel in the trunk emergency toolkit is supposed to help open the cap/door when it has problems. Also springs tend to lose their strength, sometimes even break with time. I really hope that won't be the case

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got a Ford Taurus rental back in 2011 that had the same thing, that was the first time I had seen that. Yes while it’s super convenient and it helps fill the tank faster they are sensitive to pressure. I’ve read they are prone to seizing shut in snow and not closing correctly with dust and grime. That white funnel in the trunk emergency toolkit is supposed to help open the cap/door when it has problems. Also springs tend to lose their strength, sometimes even break with time. I really hope that won't be the case
I just got gas got the first time since the repair. The fuel filler neck is a different design. Maybe a fix to a known problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got gas got the first time since the repair. The fuel filler neck is a different design. Maybe a fix to a known problem?
Would you happen to have a photo? I'll check mine as well. I know there was a recall for a fuel line issue which many cars were fixed. But I am not sure if this is the same item or even related.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would you happen to have a photo? I'll check mine as well. I know there was a recall for a fuel line issue which many cars were fixed. But I am not sure if this is the same item or even related.
Sure thing. I will snap a pick at lunch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts