Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody
I bought a used 2017 Ghibli base a few weeks ago and noticed that on a cold start in the mornings there is some hesitation when pressing the gas pedal.
It goes away after a few minutes of driving but it is annoying.
Upon start up, I wait for a minute letting the engine rev to go down below 1000rpm before start driving.

From a quick search in this forum it seems that it is a "normal" behavior.
It is my first Maserati and I owned many cars over the years but never had something like that in a modern car (last 20 years).
It is hard to believe this is a "normal" behavior and Maserati engineers designed it like that.
Anybody found a way to fix it or work around this issue?

·
Registered
468 Posts
How cold is the car on a cold start? Meaning is it outside in cold temps? I have a 17 and didn't notice too much of a warm up period or hesitation. Unlike other cars I have owned such as BMW that tell you to start and drive off cold, the manual for the Ghibli states to let the car warm up before driving off. I have no idea how long this warm up period should be. I am in New England and it's garaged. I don't wait very long.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How cold is the car on a cold start? Meaning is it outside in cold temps? I have a 17 and didn't notice too much of a warm up period or hesitation. Unlike other cars I have owned such as BMW that tell you to start and drive off cold, the manual for the Ghibli states to let the car warm up before driving off. I have no idea how long this warm up period should be. I am in New England and it's garaged. I don't wait very long.
It is 60F in the morning.
I'll probably have it examined by the dealership. It is still under warranty.

·
Registered
468 Posts
It is 60F in the morning.
I'll probably have it examined by the dealership. It is still under warranty.
Definitely. In BMW terms, sounds like the VANOS.

·
Registered
644 Posts
sounds normal. cars run in open loop and rather rich when warming up.
i can also practically guarantee that the idle RPM won't drop below 1000 within a minute of cold start.
shouldn't be hard driving until it is warmed up, is likely what the dealership will say.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Everybody
I bought a used 2017 Ghibli base a few weeks ago and noticed that on a cold start in the mornings there is some hesitation when pressing the gas pedal.
It goes away after a few minutes of driving but it is annoying.
Upon start up, I wait for a minute letting the engine rev to go down below 1000rpm before start driving.

From a quick search in this forum it seems that it is a "normal" behavior.
It is my first Maserati and I owned many cars over the years but never had something like that in a modern car (last 20 years).
It is hard to believe this is a "normal" behavior and Maserati engineers designed it like that.
Anybody found a way to fix it or work around this issue?
I bought my 2018 in August after years of Mercedes.I have the same issue, I need to drive about half a mile before the engine settles properly. Car sits on driveway. U.K. temperatures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought my 2018 in August after years of Mercedes.I have the same issue, I need to drive about half a mile before the engine settles properly. Car sits on driveway. U.K. temperatures.
It has been almost a year since I got the car and it seems like a normal thing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts