Maserati Ghibli Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

It's been a while since I last posted.
So here is how the story begins. I frequently use my remote start option as I walk in to the car. First couple of months I liked the exhaust note when I press the button with pronounced sound and high volume. After couple of months dealer had to reconfigure the software because of the engine warning sign. However, after the reconfiguration the exhaust note seemed to be diminished with less volume and pitch. First I thought I was making this up and I didn't have any proof to back this up.
Last few days I had the chance to get a Ghibli S Q4 loaner car from the dealer while I do some fixes on my car. I go to my garage and do the usual remote start..... and yes the cold start reminded me of my initial exhaust note with high volume and pitch sound. I brought this up to the dealer but they keep insisting my car is in normal condition and there is nothing wrong with the exhaust. I'm pretty sure something must have changed (maybe the software reconfiguration is the culprit?).
What would make difference in the cold start exhaust note? RPM? exhaust pipe itself?
Any thought or input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Administrator
2,572 Posts
All things being equal for the comparison. I noticed now the weather is warmer on east coast my start-up is less pronounced for day to day, (but still a deeper growl until car warms up). If I let the car sit for a week and come back it will roar on start-up.

You would think unless they changed the computer setting for cold start all things would be the same. Do you feel sport mode has the same exhaust note?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BeerGuy.
Yes, the sport mode in normal drive seems to have same exhaust note. The only difference I notice is when it cold starts (no sport mode).
I tested both cars in same environment in closed parking garage with both cars being idle for 14 hours. This makes me wonder there was some change on my car on how it starts?
Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation on this. I noticed the same thing as well... Now i will let the car sit in for a while and start it then and see how the growl is..

All things being equal for the comparison. I noticed now the weather is warmer on east coast my start-up is less pronounced for day to day, (but still a deeper growl until car warms up). If I let the car sit for a week and come back it will roar on start-up.

You would think unless they changed the computer setting for cold start all things would be the same. Do you feel sport mode has the same exhaust note?

·
Administrator
1,301 Posts
it has to do with the outside temperature... now that its summer the cold start loud cold start will only last a few seconds, in some locations it wont happen at all.

in the winter you will see very long and loud starts.

i already posted the reason why in the forum somewhere once before if i rem correctly. but no, there is nothing wrong w/ your car and the dealer is correct.

here is a write up i did somewhere else regarding this topic:

yes of course, this typically happens after parked overnight or in very cold climate areas.

the reason for that is because your car is trying to warm up the catalytic converters as fast as possible.

a combination of things occur here to warm up your cats.... when you start the car the ECU is in a "cold" program mode and dumps more fuel into the cylinders, creating a rich mixture. This rich mixture then causes the air pump to kick in and blow thru the exhaust pathway. Additionly your RPMs are about 1000 higher as well which also contributes to the louder rev. once your cats have warmed up in 60 seconds or so, depending on how cold out it is, the ECU goes to normal mode, the RPMs drop, and the exhaust note returns to normal.

you will notice with summer approaching that loud morning cold start that you are use to will most likely be cut in half and last only 15-30 seconds, where in winter it will be 60+ seconds. the guys down in florida prob dont even knwo what we are talking about since they get to wake up to 70 degree weather year round!

i personally would love to have my car keep that cold start volume at all times, thats the sound i want permanently... hint hint to larini and fabspeed...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
mrpa1999, I do understand your point on the exhauste note difference based on the weather.
But my original post points out the 2 Ghibli S Q4 making different cold exhaust note volume in exactly same condition. (Same idle time of 14 hours, temperatured garage, tested it 1 day apart)
I'm trying to understand why only my car has signifcantly low volume and pitch in cold start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts