Maserati Ghibli Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

i just purchased a 2015 pre-owned Ghibli S Q4 with 27K miles on it. Love the car but right off the bat I’ve noticed that the A/C system is doing the common thing that Ghibli A/C systems do: only blows air out the windshield, and at that it is only cold air. Seems that it requires a SW update or a replacement of actuator, 673002712 or pressostat, 675000048.

Since my Ghibli is pre-owned, not sure if the warranty transfers. I know it’s a 4-year/50K mile warranty, but not sure when that 4-year countdown starts. Probably at time of first purchase which, if the case, means I’m not covered anymore.

I don’t want to go to the dealer and get fleeced for thousands, so would this be something your neighborhood Euro Auto mechanic can take care of? With parts replacement I’m sure they can assist, however not sure about the SW update.

Thanks in advance!?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
An update:

After driving the car around a bit, I’m hearing a rattling noise while the engine is running. Gets worse as the RPMs get higher but I also hear it when the car is downshifting since I drive in Manual. From looking at this forum, it seems to be the turbo wastegate rattle issue. I’ve seen that normally they install clips to prevent the rattle.

My concern is the same: since the car is probably not under warranty due to it being over the 4-year old mark, would this fix be something my mechanic can perform? I have a service receipt from someone on the forum with part #s from a different post, so it should at least be do-able - thoughts?

Appreciate any advice!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey all!

i just purchased a 2015 pre-owned Ghibli S Q4 with 27K miles on it. Love the car but right off the bat I’ve noticed that the A/C system is doing the common thing that Ghibli A/C systems do: only blows air out the windshield, and at that it is only cold air. Seems that it requires a SW update or a replacement of actuator, 673002712 or pressostat, 675000048.

Since my Ghibli is pre-owned, not sure if the warranty transfers. I know it’s a 4-year/50K mile warranty, but not sure when that 4-year countdown starts. Probably at time of first purchase which, if the case, means I’m not covered anymore.

I don’t want to go to the dealer and get fleeced for thousands, so would this be something your neighborhood Euro Auto mechanic can take care of? With parts replacement I’m sure they can assist, however not sure about the SW update.

Thanks in advance!?
One of the members ran my VIN and discovered I still had 4 weeks of factory warranty left on my used 2015 SQ4 and I was able to get a new battery under factory warranty. Being that there are only 2 weeks left it would depend on when your car was delivered.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Sledge1100! I'll check the delivery date, but i'm assuming it's already out of warranty.

Strangely enough, both the climate issue and the rattling went away this morning after letting the car sit?
When I drove to work, both were present. I let the car sit outside for about 3 hours and when I drove it around during lunch time there was no rattling and the climate changes I picked worked - vents would shift from windshield to passengers and change temp. So it seems at least climate issue is intermittent, so maybe those cables that need to be tucked in I've read about on this forum?
The rattling was perhaps related to the cold weather. I cold start the car and go immediately, so perhaps I should give it some time to start. Come to think of it, I've only heard the rattling in below-40 temps.

·
Super Moderator
2,182 Posts
When calling for heat if the car is cold, (typically below 40F), the Ghibli will send cold air out the defroster vents first until it warms up. If the car was warmed up you would have heat coming from where ever you select.
Alternatively, your diverter flap could be rubbing against a cable. In my case, the cable block the movement and burned out the actuator ... replaced under warranty. Never happened again once they tied back the cables.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Beerguy!

It may have been a combination - I think I need to keep driving it around and see what happens.
The cable issue seems plausible, so I’m going to take it to my mechanic to see if he can fix it, or tie back the cables. Will update.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

After a week of cruisin, the HVAC works great on drivers side.
passengers side blows only hot air no matter the setting.
Seems like it’s either a software update or actuator replacement if they’re burned out. Any idea what it would cost at the dealer out of warranty?
I’m going to take it to my mechanic first week of January regardless to see what can be done. If actuator needs to be replaced, I’m aware of there actually being 3 that need to be looked at.

Any other info I should know? Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update 2:
So after driving around for about a month the climate issue went away. Passenger side would change temp and ventilation at request.
However, about a week after that we’re back in the same place: passenger side is only blowing hot air.

Seems to me like a stuck actuator on the passenger side. Definitely not burnt out since it’s intermittently working.

My question:
How much would it cost for the dealer to update the actuator firmware for an out of warranty car?
Is it possible for a normal mechanic shop to do this?
What about a shop specifically for Italian cars, that handles Mas’s and Ferrari’s on the reg?

im trying to avoid a $600 trip to the dealer where all they do is plug a tool in and press “Submit”. The principle of paying that much for something that silly makes me lean on the side of “just live with it” if the dealer is the only one who can assist.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update 2:
So after driving around for about a month the climate issue went away. Passenger side would change temp and ventilation at request.
However, about a week after that we’re back in the same place: passenger side is only blowing hot air.

Seems to me like a stuck actuator on the passenger side. Definitely not burnt out since it’s intermittently working.

My question:
How much would it cost for the dealer to update the actuator firmware for an out of warranty car?
Is it possible for a normal mechanic shop to do this?
What about a shop specifically for Italian cars, that handles Mas’s and Ferrari’s on the reg?

im trying to avoid a $600 trip to the dealer where all they do is plug a tool in and press “Submit”. The principle of paying that much for something that silly makes me lean on the side of “just live with it” if the dealer is the only one who can assist.
Did you get this sorted? I'm having the same issue, when i turn on the AC, the passenger sides blows hot air while the driver side is cool. If its just an HVAC actuator on the passenger side that is faulty, could that be accessed via the glove compartment? I've been searching but never see any direct answers to this exact question...Anyone?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you get this sorted? I'm having the same issue, when i turn on the AC, the passenger sides blows hot air while the driver side is cool. If its just an HVAC actuator on the passenger side that is faulty, could that be accessed via the glove compartment? I've been searching but never see any direct answers to this exact question...Anyone?
Hey man, sorry for the tardiness.
I’ve been putting off actually fixing this and have kept my climate control as OFF for the time being. About 2 weeks ago I turned it on for the first time in a while and the passenger side AC was blowing cold air and working fine. from what I’ve read online, leaving it in OFF sometimes resets the actuators and brings about normal functionality.
That being said I’m going to take it to a luxury/high-end mechanic soon and see what’s up. My theory is it just needs a FW/SW update for the actuators and not that the actual actuator is blown.

But in others’ case it could be either: FW needs an update or actuator for passenger side needs replacing.
Not sure if it’s accessible behind the dash :/ I’m not too car savvy in terms of fixing things

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey man, sorry for the tardiness.
I’ve been putting off actually fixing this and have kept my climate control as OFF for the time being. About 2 weeks ago I turned it on for the first time in a while and the passenger side AC was blowing cold air and working fine. from what I’ve read online, leaving it in OFF sometimes resets the actuators and brings about normal functionality.
That being said I’m going to take it to a luxury/high-end mechanic soon and see what’s up. My theory is it just needs a FW/SW update for the actuators and not that the actual actuator is blown.

But in others’ case it could be either: FW needs an update or actuator for passenger side needs replacing.
Not sure if it’s accessible behind the dash :/ I’m not too car savvy in terms of fixing things
FW == firmware
SW == software

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi. I hope my experience with a past Jaguar helps this topic. The exact same issue eventually came up on my S-Type and was a semi-frequent complaint on the Jaguar forums. I lived with it for a long time before finally digging in to resolve it. It is very possibly the heater control valve and could be a relatively inexpensive fix. As I recall, the valve wears to the point of allowing fluid to get behind it, essentially locking it from working. Dis-used for some time, this fluid can drain to allow the valve to temporarily work again, but it quickly gets locked up and stops working. Fits with the symptoms I had and you describe. I bought a new one (cross-ref part, cheaper than Jag ;)) for $100 and installed it myself. Required disconnecting and reconnecting three radiator hoses and one harness clip. A/C blew cold both sides, all the time after....
It would look something like this.

Note, it was not a software or hardware problem as I removed my electronic control module and sent it out for testing before going to the the heater valve fix.

·
Registered
637 Posts
these cars use electric actuators to move blend doors.
the passenger temp door and the main mode door actuators are the two that seem to get stuck beyond travel often. there is a software update for the hvac module that alters the calibration to keep it further from the limits at which it gets stuck. typically, do update, remove actuator that is stuck, power cycle and it'll move, pop it back it and calibrate the system.
firmware isn't a thing that is updated on cars normally, except by replacing a module itself. software updates can be performed via scan tool.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ah, got it. Did a quick search prior to reply and did not see anything definitive relative to Maserati AC control...
Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts